Do You Know Me?

jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

ken123 wrote:Jerry Paris of the Dick Van Dyke Show another a large variety of roles. :wink:
Jerry Paris is the Mystery Gues, Ken. Well done.

Paris was in a "Bonzo" movie, was one Brando's motorcycle gang in "The Wild Ones," was, I think, an Ensign on the Caine in "The Caine Mutiny," and played Ernest Borgnine's brother-in-law in "Marty." He found his greatest success as Dick van Dyke's neighbor Jerry the dentist, directed many of that show's episodes, and went on to direct many other popular TV comedies. He passed away at the much too early age of 60.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Here's another:

Do you know me?

I had a very long career, starting out in travelling shows as a child actor. My specialty was reciting Shakespeare. When I got to Broadway, I was cast primarily in musicals, including one of the big hits of 1915. I was in several plays produced by David Belasco.

I went to Hollywood, and made over one hundred screen appearances, beginning in silents. I was usually a college professor, a country doctor, somebody's uncle or grandfather. I played countless characters called "Pop" or "Gramps." Most of my characters were kind and mild, and at one point I played a character whose name is synonymous with meekness.

When TV came in, I was right there, and starred in comedies and dramas from the late 1940s on. I had regular roles on several shows, including one pioneering sitcom about a career woman.

Who am I?
CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

Are you Ernest Truex?
"I'm at my most serious when I'm joking." - Dudley

Don't sweat the petty things - don't pet the sweaty things.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

CharlieT wrote:Are you Ernest Truex?
Excellent, Charlie. Ernest Truex is the man.

In one of his earliest TV appearances, in the late 40s, he played the character Caspar Milquetoast. He was a regular on Ann Sothern's show, a sitcom about an unmarried working woman.

Truex is probably best known today for an episode of The Twilight Zone, "Kick the Can," which is always included in the current TZ marathons run on holiday weekends.

When I was a kid, I confused him with Charles Ruggles, and I thought his name must have something to do with tuxedos.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

A new Mystery Guest has signed in:

Do you know me?

Although I had the leads in a few westerns, I was almost always a supporter. I won a beauty contest while still a teen, and came to the attention of Hollywood. I made a few late silents, and had the honor of being named a WAMPAS Baby. However, my career never really went to the heights of some of the other Babies of that year.

I was the perenially cute, innocent but sexy blonde. I was very good at it, and my distinctive voice and accent helped to get me noticed. I was the hatcheck girl, the stenographer, the sweet girlfried. I had a flair for comedy, and most of my movies were of the funny kind. I was in many comedy shorts, and in many comedies with the major stars of the day. One of my most popular roles was as the object of the affection of a very famous, handsome and suave actor who had strayed from his movie wife. I was the showgirl who did a number that had elements in it that foreshadowed an icon of the world's most famous sexy blonde.

After my career faded (I did just a little TV) I spent my time doing volunteer work. I was, however, among the first to have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. SSO members have very likely seen me in numerous movies shown on TCM.

Who am I?
feaito

Post by feaito »

Are you Joyce Compton?
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

feaito wrote:Are you Joyce Compton?
Yes, Joyce Compton is our Mystery Guest. My colleagues are very difficult to stump.

Any else have one?
melwalton

mystery guest

Post by melwalton »

Judith.
Do you want just anyone to post a mystery guest? Or are we still on the format of whoever named the last one? I haven't guessed any for a while but I'll be glad to think some up to keep the topic going........mel
jdb1

Re: mystery guest

Post by jdb1 »

melwalton wrote:Judith.
Do you want just anyone to post a mystery guest? Or are we still on the format of whoever named the last one? I haven't guessed any for a while but I'll be glad to think some up to keep the topic going........mel
I think anyone who wants to can post a challenge, but I'd suggest that we do so one at a time. If a question is on the floor for solving, we should wait for that to be solved before starting a new one. You can always start a new thread if you've got another form of question to pose.

So, Mel --- go to it.
melwalton

mystery guest

Post by melwalton »

Right on, Judith. here's one:
I'm a beautiful opera singer. They call me a 'lyric soprano', whatever that is.
Knowledge about me is very scant because I made less than a handful of movies.
I sang a couple of duets in a 30s musical film with a male singer who was making his debut, also. We did not sing opera but rather pop, hit parade type songs, one a very tuneful love ballad.
It was the highlight of my movie career but he went on to success, first as a singer, then in non musicals, mostly westerns or cowboy type roles.
Who am I?
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

No takers, Mel. You need to prod us a little with a hint. If there isn't enough material to give a hint about the Guest herself, maybe you can give us something more on the singing partner you mention?

I researched a whole bunch of sopranos who were in films in the 1930s, but I haven't come up with one who seems like an exact fit to your clues.
melwalton

Games

Post by melwalton »

Sorry, Judith. I did a lot of research but very little information on her is available. I was very impressed with her looks and singing. Here"s some info" about the singer who made his debut in the same film;
He played in musicals with a couple of very popular blondes. one who was # 1 in the box office list at the time.
He was out of the movies for several years due to injuries suffered in an automobile wreck.
I love that song they sang in their debut film. .... mel
jdb1

Re: Games

Post by jdb1 »

melwalton wrote:Sorry, Judith. I did a lot of research but very little information on her is available. I was very impressed with her looks and singing. Here"s some info" about the singer who made his debut in the same film;
He played in musicals with a couple of very popular blondes. one who was # 1 in the box office list at the time.
He was out of the movies for several years due to injuries suffered in an automobile wreck.
I love that song they sang in their debut film. .... mel
Yes, I figured that the man in question was John Payne. Apparently, he appeared with more than one obscure singer in his earliest films.

Is the Mystery Guest Florence George?
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Here's Florence
melwalton

mystery guest

Post by melwalton »

Yes, Judith, Florence George it is. They sang 'I fall in love with you, ev'ry day' in one of those 'College' films, I love that tune.
Nice photo ( whistle ) she could sing too.
Yes, the other one was John Payne and the two blonds were Alice Faye and Betty Grable, the latter was the # 1 box office star one year during the war. Good for you. ...... mel