LISTS

Chit-chat, current events
RedRiver

Re: LISTS

Post by RedRiver »

I saw NIGHTMARE ALLEY at Chicago's Music Box. My friend got up and moved because he was convinced there was a gay couple sitting in front of us. It's not contagious!

OUT OF THE PAST Did I mention it is the best film noir ever made?

I don't know if it's the best. It certainly epitomizes the genre better than any other!

what is your favorite Noir and your favorite Tourneur?

DOUBLE INDEMNITY, OUT OF THE PAST. (I WALKED WITH A ZOMBIE runs a very close second!)

Now if you'll excuse me, there's a left-handed Presbyterian sitting next to me. I have to move!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u][color=#FF0000]Fossy[/color][/u] wrote:Holding a big box of Twizzlers in your arms? I am doomed, I have never heard of Twizzlers!
Awww Fossy. It's American movie candy junk food. I can send you a smaller package if you like. ;-)
[u][color=#FF0000]RedRiver[/color][/u] wrote:...Now if you'll excuse me, there's a left-handed Presbyterian sitting next to me. I have to move!
:lol: :lol: LOL!! :lol: :lol:

You might have to move alright...to Arizona if they really get crazy next week.

JackaAay...I'm glad you're enjoying the read. By 1949, we'll have talked about 100 films. :shock:
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

You might have to move alright...to Arizona if they really get crazy next week.

My religious beliefs prohibit the eating of Twizzlers in my presence.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

It infuriates me that romantic comedy is now considered bad by definition. Given today's fare, I can understand why. But have people not seen BALL OF FIRE, THE APARTMENT, SULLIVAN'S TRAVELS? Some of my favorite movies are romantic. In fact, most of them are!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

You said it Red. Three cheers for good Romantic films.

Brother Rat, I just read your review on "The Private Affairs of Bel Ami." Wonderful read. Good review. And yes, I noticed the floor patterns. What a cad Sanders was! Grrrr! This little speech he made could have been ripped from today's political playbook:
[u][color=#0000BF]George DuRoy[/color] [color=#FF0000]aka[/color] [color=#0000BF]Bel Ami[/color][/u] wrote:"I shall hint at things without stating them plainly. Insinuate what cannot be proved or disproved. Make indiscreet revelations. Contradict in such a way as to confirm. Everyone must be thought of, all classes, all professions. People are so full of malice, they're always ready to believer gossip. Reputations could be strengthened or weakened. Created or destroyed."

Jesus! Whew! :shock:

Vienna

Post by Vienna »

Maven, I share your love of DARK PASSAGE,CROSSFIRE,THE UNFAITHFUL. Three films I can watch again and again.
Must try and catch up with Nightmare Alley.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

They're great. Do yourself a favor, and watch "Nightmare Alley."

Fossy

Post by Fossy »

CineMaven wrote:
[u][color=#FF0000]Fossy[/color][/u] wrote:Holding a big box of Twizzlers in your arms? I am doomed, I have never heard of Twizzlers!
Awww Fossy. It's American movie candy junk food. I can send you a smaller package if you like. ;-)

That is very thoughtful of you but there would be no point. It would almost certainly be seized by Customs.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Another tough year for choosing, that 1948 is.

If we were to make a Top 10 list of the most important events in U.S. film history, two of my nominees both occurred in 1948: (1) the Hollywood Ten were convicted of and sentenced for contempt of Congress; and (2) the U.S. Supreme Court's decision in the Paramount case. Movie life changes thereafter.

As for the movies:

1. LETTER FROM AN UNKNOWN WOMAN (Max Ophuls) - My favorite of his Hollywood movies (though barely), and I like two of his later films even more. When you're a Master, you're a Master.

2. HE WALKED BY NIGHT (Anthony Mann, uncredited) - Alfred Werker got the credit, but except for the few scenes he presumably directed, it's Mann's movie all the way. John Alton's cinematography was seldom, if ever, better.

3. RAW DEAL (Anthony Mann) - For this, Mann gets the credit with his shadowy partner, again, John Alton.

4. FORCE OF EVIL (Abraham Polonsky) - A great one before the blacklist got to him. My favorite John Garfield performance, too.

5. ACT OF VIOLENCE (Fred Zinnemann) - My favorite Zinnemann movie, with two of the Noir greats, Robert Ryan and Van Heflin.

6. SECRET BEYOND THE DOOR (Fritz Lang) - A Freudian nightmare, beautifully shot by Stanley Cortez (sorry, KR, would love to give credit to Alton, but Cortez is no slouch). With my favorite female Noir actor, Joan Bennett.

7. THE TREASURE OF SIERRA MADRE (John Huston) - Greed and madness. My favorite Huston movie until FAT CITY.

8. THE LADY FROM SHANGHAI (Orson Welles) - Even when Welles is not at his very best, he's stupendous.

9. MACBETH (Orson Welles) - Ditto. This was the Shakespeare adaptation of the year.

10. THE RED SHOES (Michael Powell) - And there are only five or six films of Powell's that like more.

For the non-English language movies of 1948, the ones that stand out for me are: BICYCLE THIEVES (Vittorio de Sica); DRUNKEN ANGEL (Akira Kurosawa); and SPRING IN A SMALL TOWN (Mu Fei).
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I’ve seen 33 movies this year. Jane Wyman wins an Oscar. A son helps his father win one too. Sensitive Monty squares off against The Duke. Doris Day begins her box office reign. I enjoy the stag film that is “Command Decision.” Stanwyck is terrorized and I’m traumatized that she cut her hair short. And these are my ten favorite films of 1948:

“ACT OF VIOLENCE”

Van Heflin and Robert Ryan

An unstoppable force meets...a moving target. He’s back. And again he gives a chilling performance. Robert Ryan is practically The Terminator, as he keeps on coming and coming after upright, outstanding model citizen Van Heflin. Heflin’s got a good life after the war. A pretty wife, a new baby, a good job. His war record leaves much to be desired and Ryan’s injured vet is out to right some wrongs. Take my advice folks, you do not want to get in his way as Ryan tails Heflin over hill and dale. TCM features Mary Astor as the SOTM in March so be sure to check out her performance in this movie. “Act of Violence” is relentless!

“CRY OF THE CITY”

Richard Conte and Victor Mature

I love these noir police dramas. You’ve got two dark and handsome boyhood friends now on opposite sides of the law. Victor Mature - the good cop and Richard Conte the bad ( and sexy ) hood. Another cat and mouse game which I love watching play out while Mature chases Conte. Hope Emerson’s in this. You know her...one of the prison matrons in “Caged.” Well she’s just as terrorizing in this. Men will have nightmares after seeing her scene with Conte. But hey, Debra Paget’s in this too. She’ll turn those nightmares into sweet dreams. Good solid drama.

“I WALK ALONE”

Kirk Douglas, Lizabeth Scott and Burt Lancaster

I unabashedly love this paint-by-numbers movie. First off, there’s three great noir icons: Burt Lancaster, Kirk Douglas and Lizabeth Scott. You’ve got betrayal, theft, double crosses and seventeen lost years. Throw in the pathos of Wendell Corey and a blonde bombshell, and you’ve got the makings of a classic noir drama. Of course you’ve seen this type of film before. But would you stop going to the Museum because you’ve already seen a VanGogh? This movie makes me love the 40’s.

“LETTER FROM AN UNKNOWN WOMAN”

Joan Fontaine and Louis Jourdan

The same way “Scarlet Street” was devastating in its irony, “Letter...” is devastating in its heartbreak. Say, whose story are we telling, hers or his? I was stunned for days.

“THE NIGHT HAS A THOUSAND EYES”

Gail Russell and Edward G. Robinson

Gail Russell is so haunting...I feel protective of her no matter WHAT movie she’s in. Eddie G. tries to change her fate. You can imagine how THAT goes. It’s a quiet film I love.

“PITFALL”

Image Image
Jane Wyatt, Dick Powell and Lizabeth Scott

Why the face-palm? Because husband Dick Powell finally had to come clean to wife Jane Wyatt about his affair with Lizabeth Scott. This taut drama morphs into different territory for this kind of thing. It's suspenseful and not wrapped up in a nice neat little bow. ( O’ what a tangled web we weave... )

“PORTRAIT OF JENNIE” ( released in 1948 )

Joseph Cotten and Jennifer Jones

Jennifer Jones has made my list before. This movie is so loving and poignant. Is she real? Did she escape the bonds of Time. Or is she a figment of Joseph Cotten’s imagination? Is she Creativity personified. Whaddya want from me? I love the film ( ...and Ethel Barrymore. ) Just call me a cock-eyed romantic.

“ROPE”

John Dall and Farley Granger

Hitchcock’s in your face with this one. He’s got a murder in the first :30 seconds of the film. He’s got a dinner party with the body in the trunk. He gives the murder weapon to the victim’s father. And... the murderers try to prove how smart they are. But we know better, don’t we. The suspense has me on the edge of my 1948 seat.

“SNAKE PIT”

Olivia deHavilland

This movie is surprisingly not heavy as “Caged” is. It’s kind of light in the midst of being serious. And Olivia is riveting to watch. It’s not an easy watch, but we do get to see great character actresses act bonkers. It’s a tender movie. Olivia is great. She’s funny. And we’re vested in her getting well. Leo Genn is wonderfully understanding. ( Oooh look, Ruth Donnelly... )

“STATE OF THE UNION”

Angela Lansbury, Spencer Tracy and Katharine Hepburn

Tracy. Hepburn. A very smart political drama.

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

RAW DEAL is probably Anthony Mann's best film. It's between that and the uncredited HE WALKED BY NIGHT.

Jane Wyman wins an Oscar

And loses a husband. All things considered...
Lucky Vassall

Post by Lucky Vassall »

Yes to all. 1948 had A Thousand Eyes, too. And not a sequel in the bunch!
[size=85]AVATAR: Billy DeWolfe as Mrs. Murgatroid, “Blue Skies” (1946)

[b]“My ancestors came over on the Mayflower.”
“You’re lucky. Now they have immigration laws."[/b]
[i]Mae West, The Heat’s On” (1943[/i])

[b]:–)—[/b]
Pinoc-U-no(se)[/size]