Do You Know Me?

jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

She really is cute, Mel.

One thing I dug up about her is that she was married to Bing Crosby's older brother and manager, Everett. Maybe she simply retired from performing. Apparently she appeared at least once on one of Bing's early radio shows.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Please welcome our next Mystery Guest:

Do you know me?

My Hollywood studios played up my strong all-American image, so it would surprise most people to know that I was actually born in Europe and spoke several languages. I was a very smart child, and graduated from high school at a much younger age than was then common. I was also very athletic, and although I made the U.S. Olympic team in my event, I decided my background would make it dangerous for me to go back to Europe, so I declined.

I was always the romantic lead; in one of my studio films, I was the object of the obssessive desire of a very beautiful female star. This film is still shown on TV and is still popular. But I got tired of that and eventually formed my own production company to make the movies I wanted to make

One of the films I produced, directed and starred in myself, an adventure tale, got fairly good press and has become something of a cult favorite.

Who am I?
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Doug Fairbanks, jr.! But I now think that I am wrong !
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

ken123 wrote:Doug Fairbanks, jr.! But I now think that I am wrong !
No, not the dashing Doug.

Let's see --- our Mystery Guest was one of the handsome Hollywood stars who was subject to the antics of America's most popular TV star (way back when). Yet another case of his being the object of female obssession, but this time it was funny.
CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

Well, there are only a couple of actors that I know were in the Olympics, and since Jim Thorpe was never a star, I'll guess (and it is a guess) that the mystery guest is Johnny Weissmuller.

Oops! Just went back and read your clue that he didn't go to the Olympics even though he qualified, so that leaves Tarzan out.

As Emily Litella would say, "Nevermind." :oops:
"I'm at my most serious when I'm joking." - Dudley

Don't sweat the petty things - don't pet the sweaty things.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

OK - here's another hint:

In the film our MG did through his own production company, he spent most of the time in various stages of undress, a condition that was necessitated by the plot, with no erotic connotations.

And here's another hint:

In our MG's first starring role, he played a famous 19th Century musician. I remember my father complaining, when we watched it on TV, that the actor was much too robust to play this tubercular, short-lived figure.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Cornel Wilde? He was my first choice when I read the first clues, but I'm not sure since in the site I checked it says he was born in the US :?
Last edited by feaito on November 21st, 2007, 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Wait! Wait! In Wikipedia it says he was born in Hungary!
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

feaito wrote:Wait! Wait! In Wikipedia it says he was born in Hungary!
Fernando's got it.

Wilde was touted as the all-American boy, but he was actually born in one of the Mitteleuropa places that found itself designated in different countries from time to time.

He graduated high school at the age of 14 (Townsend Harris in NYC, an academically rigorous school). He made the US Olympic fencing team, but decided that as a Jew he wasn't interested in going to Berlin in 1936.

Wilde was the object of Gene Tierney's obssessive attentions in Leave Her to Heaven and was one of the handsome Hollywood leading men harassed by Lucille Ball on I Love Lucy. His first starring role was as Frederic Chopin in Song to Remember, the movie whose casting my father found so objectionable.

Wilde's own production of The Naked Prey caused a minor sensation, in part because of the amount of violence and bloodshed portrayed; it is still broadcast occasionally today. In that film, he played a man pursued by African tribesman, and he was more naked than not throughout the film.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Here's one to contemplate while you digest your holiday meals:

Do you know me?

I sometimes played authority figures, but more often I was cast as the old codger, sometimes lovable, sometimes not.

I started acting in amateur productions at home in the Midwest, and I made drama my career by studying it and teaching it. Few people would guess, given the kinds of roles I played, that I held a postgraduate degree in specialized drama.

After teaching at the university level for some years, I decided I'd rather be an actor than teach them, so I went to Hollywood. I logged in almost 250 screen appearances, with most of my work on television. I was a regular on a popular Golden Age of TV series aimed at animal-loving young people.

Who am I?
ken123

Post by ken123 »

I want to say George Cleveland who played Gramps on the Lassie TV series in the 50's.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

ken123 wrote:I want to say George Cleveland who played Gramps on the Lassie TV series in the 50's.
It's close, but Cleveland isn't who I'm thinking of.

You're in the right timeframe and type of actor, though.

Our Mystery Guest was one of those character actors who seemed to be in everything, and whose name might not be on the tip of everyone's tongue, but you'd certainly recognize the face. Unfortunately, he wasn't a "big" name, so there's not much information on him.

Here's a big hint: the popular TV show on which he was a regular was about a boy and a quadruped, but the four-legger wasn't a dog.
CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

Sounds like William Fawcett who played Pete on Fury.
"I'm at my most serious when I'm joking." - Dudley

Don't sweat the petty things - don't pet the sweaty things.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

CharlieT wrote:Sounds like William Fawcett who played Pete on Fury.
That is correct, Charlie.

Fawcett, who hailed from Minnesota, had a Ph.D. in Elizabethan drama, but made a career of playing, primarily, old Western codgers.

I hope everone is recovering from what were sumptuous dinners. Since we at home are not big turkey eaters, I made a pot roast with lots of trimmings.

I also made a big pan of brownies from a recipe I found on Martha Stewart's website, and it was definitely too much of a "good thing." My guests seemed to like it, but I found it too rich even for a chocolate lover like me.

I'm already way tired of Andy Hardy on TCM today. There isn't much else of interest on offer on TV. I guess they assume nobody's watching anything except football today. There's an I Love Lucy marathon on TVLand, which I was watching as I cooked, but they've already started re-running what they showed this afternoon. Honestly, aren't there enough Lucy episodes to fill a day's programming? I don't know if I have enough energy to stay up for The Happy Time later tonight. I don't cook much any more, and I did a whole lot of cooking last night and this morning.

Well, happy long weekend to everyone.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Hello, all. Hope you have recuperated sufficiently from holiday excesses to solve this mystery:

Do you know me?

My mother was a character actress in silents, and I followed in her footsteps with the advent of sound. As a young woman I was a member of a Shakespearean theater troupe run by a very well-known and popular classical actor of the day who is not well remembered now.

I had a very interesting look: when made up and dressed well, I could be quite the striking grande dame, but in ordinary garb, I was usually someone's neighbor, or maybe a teacher, and generally the unmarried one. I could be sweet or really nasty, as the movie called for, and I was particularly good at being mean to some of Hollywood's most popular little girls.

I was part of a popular, long-lasting movie series, giving advice and support to wholesome teens, always the proper maiden lady.

Who am I?