Noir Films

JackFavell

Re: Noir Films

Post by JackFavell »

I felt the same way about Joanie for years, after seeing her on Dark Shadows as a kid. The only other movie I ever saw her in much was The Son of Monte Cristo, so I had no idea how good an actress she could be. She's really quite marvelous and has that deadly humor I particularly like.

JF, Eddie Muller mentioned that Night and the City was made in London, and the schedule was moved up, so that Jules Dassin could get out of the country. I don't see a connection to the blacklist in the script, except perhaps for the standard noir paranoia: you think they're out to get you, and yes, they really are.
kingrat, You may be right, that it has no appearance of being about the blacklist. But the setting and general tone of the film, that 'standard paranoia' is exactly what I was talking about. I felt especially from this movie that the incredibly high level of paranoia was symptomatic of the era right before and during the blacklist, and that the hierarchy of the "hive" and the gradations of evil shown seemed very like Hollywood, or the USA if you prefer. It could be the world of big business, if you choose to think of it that way, or of course the criminal underworld it says it represents. It's a lot like High Noon, except no one is left unscathed, even the hero. There are seemingly endless ways of assuaging one's conscience, with characters rising up from the dust to justify their actions and do it again. The setting doesn't really matter, it could be anywhere, but certainly the feeling of the movie is dog eat dog, and no doubt reflected maybe just a little of Dassin's anger and unease at his situation.

For me, the 'little world inside the big world' theme gives this movie a strong connection to the blacklist - the way the blacklist moved from a politically motivated situation in Washington to encompassing the entertainment industry in Hollywood and other seemingly innocent areas of everyday life, like a spider web run by a rather hidden central leader with his fingers in every facet of his "empire"....and hirelings doing the 'dirty' work. The inability of the little man to control his own destiny or even his workplace without it destroying him or someone else. The way that corruption bleeds onto the innocent, and that a man doesn't even know he's doing wrong anymore, because he is substantially tainted by mere contact with the corrupt. It's about Power.

Specifically, maybe it hasn't got so much to do with the blacklist, but in tone, it has everything to do with it.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

CRISS-CROSS is so creepy and manipulative it makes THE KILLERS look like a Disney film. And I like THE KILLERS. But the other is one of those precision perfect crime dramas, where one thing leads to another in the most devilish ways. It is brilliantly shot; that it's not dark and murky makes it all the more threatening. These things happen in broad daylight!

Based on these two classics, I'm a fan of Siodmak. Some of his work is B level melodrama. Much is unfamiliar to me. But these two are enough to put the director's name in the files of my mind and keep it there.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Regarding Dassin and the blacklist, it was probably more a function of him having belonged to the Communist Party at one time than the content of his films. He had been named at HUAC by the now un-imprisoned Edward Dmytryk shortly before shooting started on NIGHT AND THE CITY and he headed out of town.

But if you want film content that potentially would confirm a Red-baiter's suspicions pre-NIGHT AND THE CITY, there's always THIEVES' HIGHWAY, THE NAKED CITY, and BRUTE FORCE.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Gosh, I never thought of those films as having Communist themes or subtexts, but I guess I do see it, now you tell me it's there. :D
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Gosh, I never thought of those films as having Communist themes or subtexts, but I guess I do see it, now you tell me it's there.

And, as you rightly note, it's there if you're looking for it to be there and want a reason to blacklist somebody. Dassin -- a former Commie (but are they ever reeeaaalllyyy "former"?)-- making a film written by Albert Maltz (THE NAKED CITY with the crime portrayed being a just one story, implying corruption of the human -- read "American" -- soul being rampant). Need we go further? And the little guy crushed by the big guy (THIEVES' HIGHWAY). And officialdom (prison officials as the proxy for all of government) as corrupt (BRUTE FORCE) -- well, if hadn't married a Greek, I'd be carrying a pitchfork and torch, too. :wink:
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

ChiO wrote:
Gosh, I never thought of those films as having Communist themes or subtexts, but I guess I do see it, now you tell me it's there.

And, as you rightly note, it's there if you're looking for it to be there and want a reason to blacklist somebody. Dassin -- a former Commie (but are they ever reeeaaalllyyy "former"?)-- making a film written by Albert Maltz (THE NAKED CITY with the crime portrayed being a just one story, implying corruption of the human -- read "American" -- soul being rampant). Need we go further? And the little guy crushed by the big guy (THIEVES' HIGHWAY). And officialdom (prison officials as the proxy for all of government) as corrupt (BRUTE FORCE) -- well, if hadn't married a Greek, I'd be carrying a pitchfork and torch, too. :wink:
Don't forget Rififi (1955), where Dassin actually plays one of the subversives (Ceasar, a safe cracker--what might that reference?). There's also the interesting aspect of what should happen to a guy who squeals on his pals and names names.

[youtube][/youtube]
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

And what about Melina Mercouri in Topkapi, subverting those guards (and everyone else) with her nymphomania.

No? :D
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Interesting, King Rat. This plot is almost identical to a Woolrich book called FRIGHT. I wonder if it's the same story, under a different title. Of course, there are only so many plots, and this author loved certain themes. I'm not familiar with the movie. But the book, FRIGHT, is just about the creepiest, most ironic thriller I've read. The term "pure Woolrich" could have been created to describe this nightmare!
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

FALL GUY (1947) was based on the short story, C-Jag (aka Cocaine) from 1939 or '40. The novel Fright came out in 1950. But, as readers of Woolrich soon come to realize, he was an early practitioner of being Green, recycling many themes and plots. Both the short story and novel could be placed on Woolrich's "The Living Nightmare" shelf.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

RAW DEAL is raw noir. It's as pure and unfiltered a crime story as I've seen. This hard, brutal punch in the gut is my favorite Mann film, possibly excepting the clinical HE WALKED BY NIGHT. And Mann is not the director of record for that fine film.
feaito

Post by feaito »

"Phantom Lady" (1944), where had you been all my life???? What a great Siodmak film and grand discovery!

Ella Raines, you've risen to the top list of my favorite '40s leading ladies! What an incredibly beautiful, attractive and talented woman, impersonating a no-nonsense gal who'll do anything to prove her loved one's innocence, thus saving him from the electric chair. Alan Curtis, gives a good performance as the strong yet vulnerable guy who gets entangled in a web of deceit, lies and betrayal! And Mr. Franchot Tone playing a psycho, who appears halfway through the film! And last but not least, Thomas Gomez as the troubled police officer, Fay Helm as the broken-down Phanthom lady of the title....BTW, anybody knows who is the blond lady in the painting who's supposed to be the late Marcella Henderson? A sultry female!

Raines had quite a range playing a career woman, a woman in love, a determined dame, who even impersonates a harlot to attract a horny -if I may say- drummer (expertly impersonated by Elisha Cook Jr.). That erotic drum solo he plays during that "private" jam session with his pals with Ella looking on and dancing to the music, is clearly -for me- a metaphor for sexual intercourse; isn't it?? How did it get past the censors!

A terrific Noir; a tremendous film; a huge discovery!

Here's a signed & dedicated vintage 1944 studio picture of Franchot Tone at Universal Studios, given to me by a dear friend of my parents:

Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

feaito wrote:"Phantom Lady" (1944), where had you been all my life???? What a great Siodmak film and grand discovery!

A terrific Noir; a tremendous film; a huge discovery!
I'm glad you like it ... Phantom Lady ... It's one of my favorites too feaito!