Coming Up on TCM

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Mr. Arkadin

Re: Coming Up on TCM

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

CineMaven wrote:Looks like starting next Wednesday morning (midnight to be precise) TCM will be showing a number of films where a deadly virus threatens the Earth's population. One of the films will be:

12:00 AM SATAN BUG, THE (1965)

A mad millionaire bribes a scientist to steal a deadly virus.
Dir: John Sturges Cast: George Maharis , Richard Basehart , Anne Francis .
C-115 mins, TV-PG, Letterbox Format

If you want to read up on it, you can go to our old reliable MOVIE MORLOCKS page and read this article by Kimberly Lindbergs entiltled ANNE FRANCIS in THE SATAN BUG: http://moviemorlocks.com/2011/01/13/ann ... -bug-1965/
Thanks for the the heads up. They will also be showing another of my favorites, Last Man on Earth (1964).
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

kingrat wrote:. Later in the day is Once a Thief, with Alain Delon and Ann-Margret, which I'll probably check out.
Old thread is here:

http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/vie ... =18&t=4274
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

It's not on the level of Floating Weeds, but I am enjoying seeing the daytime line up listed for tomorrow, Thursday, the 12th. All swinging bachelor movies. I love that they all go together so well.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

"THE LEARNING TREE"

KYLE JOHNSON

Looking forward to seeing this tale again after many many years. Young boy growing up in 1920's Kansas...learns about life. Beautifully directed by photographer Gordon Parks.

TCM - 930PM - MONDAY - JANUARY 16TH
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

CineMaven wrote:"THE LEARNING TREE"

KYLE JOHNSON

Looking forward to seeing this tale again after many many years. Young boy growing up in 1920's Kansas...learns about life. Beautifully directed by photographer Gordon Parks.

TCM - 930PM - MONDAY - JANUARY 16TH
It's a great movie and I know Osbourne is fond of the film because when he had Parks on for an interview a couple of years ago, he really wanted to discuss this one, but Parks more or less, blew it off, saying that The Learning Tree just gave him the clout to finance Shaft. Unfortunately, The Learning Tree has fallen by the wayside, while Shaft has gained notoriety, but I actually think it's possibly the stronger film--especially in its cinematic aspects. Is it sentimental? Yes, but I think that point (which was probably a detriment in 1969) is what gives the film its power--it is above all things a great story and it still holds up today.

Other films I'm looking forward to on MLK day:

Black Girl (1972)

A dramatic tale about three generations of women in a black family.
Dir: Ossie Davis Cast: Brock Peters, Claudia McNeil, Leslie Uggams.

Lost Boundaries (1949)

A black family tries to build a new life by passing as white.
Dir: Alfred L. Werker Cast: Beatrice Pearson, Mel Ferrer, Susan Douglas.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Very nicely put Mr. A. I floated home, back in '69, totally in love with the young lead. The cinematography was beautiful and the story, sweet.

feaito

Post by feaito »

It's a film I've always been intrigued by. Let us know your feelings about it.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Me too, I've watched the version with Jeanne Moreau but I'm interested to know what everyone thinks about Paulette's version.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

PREPARE TO BE OPHUL'ED

MAX OPHULS

On Monday, January 23rd, TCM plans to challenge our senses and emotions with the dazzling, dizzying work of MAX OPHULS.

8:00 PM THE RECKLESS MOMENT (1949)

A mother attempts to protect her murderous daughter. Dir: Max Opuls Cast:  James Mason, Joan Bennett, Geraldine Brooks. BW-82 mins, TV-PG.

9:30 PM CAUGHT (1949)

Image Image

A woman's dream marriage to a multi-millionaire turns into a nightmare when she discovers he's insane. Dir: Max Opuls Cast: James Mason, Barbara Bel Geddes, Robert Ryan. BW-88 mins, TV-14.

11:15 PM LETTER FROM AN UNKNOWN WOMAN (1948)

Image Image

A woman's lifelong love for a callous concert pianist leads to tragedy. Dir: Max Opuls Cast:  Joan Fontaine, Louis Jourdan, Mady Christians. BW-87 mins, TV-14, CC.

1:00 AM THE EXILE (1947)

A deposed king fights for his life while hiding out at a farm. Dir: Max Opuls Cast:  Douglas Fairbanks Jr., Maria Montez, Henry Daniell. BW-95 mins, TV-PG.

2:45 AM LA RONDE (1950)

Image Image

A series of inter-related affairs link lovers from all levels of society. Dir: Max Ophuls Cast:  Danielle Darrieux, Simone Signoret, Fernand Gravey. BW-93 mins, TV-14.

4:30 AM THE EARRINGS OF MADAME DE... (1954)

Image Image

When a woman sells her earrings to pay a gambling debt, it leads to a string of betrayals.Dir: Max Ophuls Cast:  Charles Boyer, Danielle Darrieux, Vittorio De Sica. BW-100 mins, TV-PG.

CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Good tips there, Brother Rat. I especially want to see "THE PRINCE AND THE SHOWGIRL." I've never seen it. I just saw "My Week With Marilyn" and now I'll have some basis for comparison.

I must admit, the real draw for me among your suggestions will be "PANDORA & THE FLYING DUTCHMAN." Okay...okay...AVA:

I have never seen her look or photographed more beautifully than in this film. Set your DVRs, folks.