WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
feaito

Re: WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by feaito »

I also loved Four's a Crowd Ali, very funny indeed.

Yesterday I watched another Comedy: "Second Honeymoon" (1937) (the 20th Century Fox films released must be among the better preserved as whole; what a crisp image!) starring Loretta Young and Ty Power. Ty plays Loretta's ex-husband, a charming, debonair, hard-drinking and carefree man who re-encounters Young in Miami with her new husband, a reliable and serious businessman (Lyle Talbot). Enter her pals, Claire Trevor (very good!) and her husband (impersonated by J.Edward Bromberg). This film is amusing, light and watchable, but not as good as the duo's other teamings in "Love is News" and "Café Metropole" (both 1937). My favorite characters though were: Marjorie Weaver playing Power's very honest working-class lady friend; she's indeed superb, beautiful and extremely likable and Stuart Erwin who's priceless as Ty's valet. :D
Last edited by feaito on May 28th, 2011, 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Marjorie Weaver...wow. I remember seeing her in a "Michael Shayne..." movie, so many years ago.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

Yesterday I watched "Geronimo, an American Legend" from 1993, directed by Walter Hill.

It was okay. It was pretty accurate, historically, but I think it started too late in Geronimo's life, with his first surrender. When the movie started, he was already "Geronimo," the most feared Apache warchief. There was no way he could develop as a character, and Lt. Gatewood was already "the good white man who knows Indians." There was no way Gatewood could develop as a character. So when Geronimo left the reservation, there was nothing for the two to do but chase each other until the movie's running time was up.

Frankly, when this movie ended, I asked myself if it had added anything to what I already "knew" from "Broken Arrow," "Apache" and "Ulzana's Raid," and the answer I came up with was not much. (Robert Duval played a somewhat mean scout, and I kept thinking of Burt Lancaster in "Ulzana's Raid.")
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

Romeo and Juliet (1936)

Starred Norma Shearer and Leslie Howard.
When this show started I decided that this was going to be very boring. With men in ridiculous costumes prancing around like fairies and sticking swords into one another and speaking the flowery language of Shakespeare. Romeo was bored with life and was being pressured into marriage.

Then came the masked ball at the Capulet`s castle. Romeo and some friends attended in disguise. Enter Juliet and with one glance at Romeo she took over the whole show. (She received her fifth Oscar nomination for this show).

Now the show came alive, and although the words of Shakespeare sounded a bit strange at times, this is probably the most romantic film I have ever seen.

What is it about Norma Shearer? Certainly she has a pretty face. The cast in her left eye goes mostly unnoticed, and even when it is noticed it only adds to her beauty. Her shoulders are nice and broad, but her breasts are too small, her waist too big, her hips too wide, her belly not quite flat, and she has too much meat on her backside. Despite all this (or perhaps because of it) she presents as one Hollywood`s great beauties.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I don't know what it is about Norma Shearer, she's better on film than in stills, she has a patrician quality to her a rather noble beauty that comes across so very well. I think it must be something in her voice and delivery as I feel she comes across better in talkies than silents. I think too, she hasn't the breathtaking beauty of some of films ladies but is a woman who makes the best of what she's got and has a confidence that gives out the rest and that is something that the women who went to see her films could aspire to.

I've been watching Electric Edwardians a collection of films from Mitchell and Kenyon. I don't know how well known the Mitchell and Kenyon films are out side the UK. They were featured in a BBC series that was shown in the USA about 5 years ago. They have just got special protected status from the UN as a part of world heritage. The unbelievable story is that this treasure trove of films was found in the basement of a shop in Blackburn about 10 years ago. the shop had changed hands and was going through refurbishments, the owners were throwing out and starting anew, yet in the basement they came across canister after canister which turned out to be chronicles of life in the early part of the 20th century. These films are extrordinary, they chronicle ordinary people, workers leaving factories clothed in shawls, cloth caps and wearing clogs, fun fairs in the North West of England, church processions, people on holiday, films taken from trams. For anyone who loves to glance at history these films show such a wealth, I don't know what my favorite clips are, I'm partial to the glimpses of the clothes, especially the hats, the working class have adorned their hats for these parades, elaborate big hats. The emptying of the factories quite poignant with me as most of my ancestors worked in the cotton mills of our home town, little children going to work, egg rolling in the park. Seeing the buildings, industry and day to day life, the shops, the women shopping, the men leaving the factories at night worn out. It's visual history and very well preserved.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

What a treasure trove, indeed. How lucky you are to see these films, it makes you wonder if you might even be seeing some of your family!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That sounds wonderful, Alison! I love those kinds of films and could watch for hours. There is a film I've watched narrated by Ralph Richardson with some footage from the early 1900's, I don't think it's the same filmmakers.
Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

Just saw a wonderful movie "Passionada" (2003) with Emmy Rossum, Sofia Milos, Jason Isaacs. Romantic Portuguese love story with beautiful people and great acting. Rossum sang in Phantom Of The Opera (not in this movie) and won an award. Rita watched it with me and loved it. Emmy Rossum sings Opera as well as Pop music. I think she is a great talent. Sofia Milos has acted in some great TV series' including "The Sopranos". She is beautiful and speaks 5 languages fluently.
Uncle Stevie

"Great Marriages Are Made In Heaven,
So Is Thunder and Lightning"
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

You had me at Jason Isaacs :oops: :oops: Just watched the trailer to this movie, it looks like I'll be hunting it down. Sofia Milos was the best thing about CSI, Miami. Thanks!

[youtube][/youtube]
klondike

Post by klondike »

knitwit45 wrote: Sofia Milos was the best thing about CSI, Miami.
You can say that again, and paint it on my mailbox, Cousin!
I used to stare at her so hard, Mrs. K. would have to punch me on the arm to remind me to breathe! :shock:
After the second commercial break (about the 3rd sunglass-removal by Mr. Caruso), I'd switch to a seat across the room, as I suspected that by Sofia's next wardrobe change, the wife's aim would be shifting to my bottom lip. :oops:
Which she's split about once per decade since 1977.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

the word that comes to mind when I see her is "lush". The hair, the personality, the smile....lush!
klondike

Post by klondike »

knitwit45 wrote:the word that comes to mind when I see her is "lush". The hair, the personality, the smile....lush!
OK, fine -
I didn't want to mention the "h" word, but there it is -
And we all know, where the gals are concerned, the ol' Sled Dog's a hair guy . . though I gotta admit, the rest of Ms. Milos' ipanima-sculpted geography is pretty nice as well.
Ha!
Didn't think I could use a Sunday School adjective at this point, did ya? 8)
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

Yesterday I watched The Enchanted Cottage (1945, J. Cromwell) with Dorothy McGuire and Robert Young. This story that transcends the ordinary through love proved really enjoyable. Dorothy McGuire gave a really good performance as the plain girl who falls in love with a disfigured soldier (R. Young). It could have been trite and ridiculous, but the film held its own. It's not quite in the same league as The Portrait of Jennie to mention another love story verging on the surreal, but, the film has its own little music. I was impressed by the quality of the acting all around. Spring Byington was a perfect annoying mother. Mildred Natwick was the disenchanted lobnely widow. Robert Young was a very believable man scared for life. As for McGuire, I was impressed by her shy and authentic performance as the plain girl. The make-up avoided excessive ugliness, but it was enough to make us understand her feelings. One of the most heart-rending scene is when a soldier runs to her to ask her for a dance. Then, he sees her face, stops and ties up his shoelace. The story is the perfect embodiment of the proverb: 'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder'. A really charming and simple film.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

klondike wrote:
knitwit45 wrote: Sofia Milos was the best thing about CSI, Miami.
You can say that again, and paint it on my mailbox, Cousin!
I used to stare at her so hard, Mrs. K. would have to punch me on the arm to remind me to breathe! :shock:
After the second commercial break (about the 3rd sunglass-removal by Mr. Caruso), I'd switch to a seat across the room, as I suspected that by Sofia's next wardrobe change, the wife's aim would be shifting to my bottom lip. :oops:
Which she's split about once per decade since 1977.
May, I add my $0.02 worth ... Sofia Milos should had never left CSI Miami. CBS made a big mistake letting her go.