WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
knitwit45

Re: WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by knitwit45 »

Ann Harding wrote:Yesterday I watched The Enchanted Cottage (1945, J. Cromwell) with Dorothy McGuire and Robert Young. This story that transcends the ordinary through love proved really enjoyable. Dorothy McGuire gave a really good performance as the plain girl who falls in love with a disfigured soldier (R. Young). It could have been trite and ridiculous, but the film held its own. It's not quite in the same league as The Portrait of Jennie to mention another love story verging on the surreal, but, the film has its own little music. I was impressed by the quality of the acting all around. Spring Byington was a perfect annoying mother. Mildred Natwick was the disenchanted lobnely widow. Robert Young was a very believable man scared for life. As for McGuire, I was impressed by her shy and authentic performance as the plain girl. The make-up avoided excessive ugliness, but it was enough to make us understand her feelings. One of the most heart-rending scene is when a soldier runs to her to ask her for a dance. Then, he sees her face, stops and ties up his shoelace. The story is the perfect embodiment of the proverb: 'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder'. A really charming and simple film.
Ann, this was a huge favorite in my parents home. The 'love conquers all' idea was a strong factor of their life long love affair, which still endures today, even though they have been gone for some time.
The scene with the soldier, at the very beginning of the movie, tears at your heart. It makes you wonder how many times people kill someone's soul with their unkind thoughtlessness...and if you yourself have ever been guilty of this.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

JackFavell wrote:That sounds wonderful, Alison! I love those kinds of films and could watch for hours. There is a film I've watched narrated by Ralph Richardson with some footage from the early 1900's, I don't think it's the same filmmakers.
I'm pretty sure these won't be the same movies, they were only discovered at the beginning of the millenium, the quality is amazing, it's so clear and they're all of the working and middle classes. Blackburn, where the fimls were found is approx 10 miles from here, there are some films of the town I live in, some with mills emptying, my relatives could well be pouring out of these mills, alas I haven't any photos to compare the people to. At the end of the programme there is a request for anyone to come forward who recognises anyone so the archive can continue to add details to the film.

I got to watching these again because I watched Germinal the other day, filmed in 1913 there were some fair ground scenes with people glancing into the camera, even moving to get a better look, it made me want to view these again.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

You are so lucky to have these films to watch, Alison, right from your own home town, almost...

I love The Enchanted Cottage, I was really surprised by Robert Young in this film, it made me suspect he had far more to offer as an actor than I had ever realized. Dorothy McGuire is absolutely spot on in the role of the overlooked girl... Frankly, I've never seen her in a role where she wasn't absolutely perfect. I totally buy the story, it's another wonderful performance for Herbert Marshall as well.
Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

Passionada is a movie where you will fall in love with Sofia Milos all over again. I bought this movie from Amazon.com used for $5.46 total including shipping. It is a steal. I loved this movie and Sofia and Emmy Rossum. Very warm picture. Go get it and see it.
Uncle Stevie

"Great Marriages Are Made In Heaven,
So Is Thunder and Lightning"
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Saw two War Movies on Turner Classic Movies

1) Story of G.I. Joe - Ernie Pyle - Starring Burgess Meredith as Ernie Pyle. This movie is very well written, very realistic and showed the side of Ernie Pyle as a World War Two Correspondence quite nicely. Gritty, Wonderfully Directed by William A. Wellman, and its has a nice cast and Robert Mitchum did a great job complimenting Meredith. This is first time that I've seen it and I love the ending of which there were no "end credits" as Ernie Pyle marches to do what he does best - report the news back home for everyone to read. Came out in 1945.

2) Battleground 1949 - This is about the story of the famed 101 Airborne Division that was trapped in town of Bastogne during the critical time of the BATTLE OF THE BULGE. It's a wonderful film and its one of my favorites because its has a great cast (Van Johnson, John Hodiak, Ricardo Montalban, George Murphy, Marshal Thompson, and others ... like James Whitmore as "Kinnie" who is one of my favorites in this movie. One of thing that I've did not know that they used Fort Lewis in Washington State - for filming of this movie. I find that interesting. However, this movie a great all around movie. Highly recommended.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Uncle Stevie, "PASSIONADA" was just on the Encore channel this morning ( 6:15am - 8:05 am ).
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

CineMaven wrote:Uncle Stevie, "PASSIONADA" was just on the Encore channel this morning ( 6:15am - 8:05 am ).
Darn! And it doesn't show up again soon. It will be on Starz, but that's a premium channel I don't have. It sounds like it's cheaper to buy it than to subscribe to Starz for one movie (d'uh!) :roll:
feaito

Post by feaito »

Good review of The Enchanted Cottage Christine, I must revisit this film again. It's indeed very good.
klondike

Post by klondike »

knitwit45 wrote:
CineMaven wrote:Uncle Stevie, "PASSIONADA" was just on the Encore channel this morning ( 6:15am - 8:05 am ).
Darn! And it doesn't show up again soon. It will be on Starz, but that's a premium channel I don't have. It sounds like it's cheaper to buy it than to subscribe to Starz for one movie (d'uh!) :roll:
I hear ya, Nance, same from me.
I'm gonna try & track it through Netflix!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I missed most of it this morning. But wanted to check it out based on what I read here. But I have to say, respectfully...for what I saw, it's pretty predictable movie fare. Yes Sofia's hair is great...but Melina Kanakaredes (and Julianna Marguiles - "ER" days) have better hair.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
klondike

Post by klondike »

CineMaven wrote: Yes Sofia's hair is great...but Melina Kanakaredes (and Julianna Marguiles - "ER" days) have better hair.
Couldn't agree more, CM!
In fact, I've been a Kanakaredes booster since she went from showing up in those early 90's Cafe International commercials, to playing David Caruso's nosey-reporter girlfriend on "NYPD Blue" . . hmmm :roll: , ya know . . first Kanakaredes , then Amy Brenneman, then Wanda DeJesus, then Sofia Milos - maybe Caruso's a hair guy just like me!
Currently, though, best hair on the tube ('til "Mad Men" returns) has gotta be Jen Esposito on "Blue Bloods" . . and yes, that's the third slim excuse I've used to mention her on SSO, so I'll sit back down, now . .

[Movies, s'posed to be talkin' 'bout movies . . :oops: ]
feaito

Post by feaito »

Last night I watched "Sporting Blood” (1940). Sometimes these “B” films deliver much more than “A” pictures, maybe because there weren’t under so much scrutiny. This film has no relation with the 1931 same-title film that stars Gable. Bob Young plays a Southern racing stable owner who returns to his family’s estate in Virginia after 20 years of banishment due to the elopement of her father with one of the leading citizens’ (Lewis Stone) wife. By now, Stone has two grown-up daughters who fall for this “unwelcome” character: Maureen O’Sullivan, playing the sensible, caring daughter and Lynne Carver, playing the shallower, coquettish, more popular –with men- daughter. The film has a good script, is finely paced and well acted. Of special note, besides Young and O’Sullivan is William Gargan’s performance as Young’s pal. A very fine discovery.
Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

I can't believe this turned into a hair fight.
Uncle Stevie

"Great Marriages Are Made In Heaven,
So Is Thunder and Lightning"
klondike

Post by klondike »

Shhhh - don't get me started again . . .
I'm tryin' to be good .. ! :|
feaito

Post by feaito »

I saw another S. Sylvan Simon feature from 1940: "Dulcy" starring Ann Sothern as scatterbrained lady who's always messing up everything, from plumbing to barbeques :wink: Ms. Sothern is a gifted comedienne and she has some fine moments, but the script is not very good and the character turns out somewhat annoying (even Marie Wilson's Irma is smarter than Dulcy!) Dan Dailey Jr. plays Dulcy's younger brother, Lynne Carver his fiancée, Reginald Gardiner is another zany character pretending to be a millionaire and Billie Burke and Roland Young play another affluent couple -the Forbes-(Dailey's prospective in-law's, that is if Dulcy doesn't get too hard to bear for Mr. Forbes!). I laughed at some parts, but it is a somewhat uneven "B" film. Haven't seen the 1930 version of the story directed by King Vidor and starring Marion Davies. BTW, Guinn "Big Boy" Williams plays Dulcy's recently "acquired" butler, a delinquent on parole!