WHAT SILENTS & PRE-CODES HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

CineMaven

Re: WHAT SILENTS & PRE-CODES HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by CineMaven »

Hmmmm. :idea: Say, uhmmm...hey Wendy, who are they:
[u]JACK[/u] [u]FAVELL[/u] wrote:
( 1. ) Image

:D Anita Page - ( CORRECT )

( 2. ) Image

:D Betty Compson (I think she's SOOOOO pretty) - ( CORRECT ) - and I agree. She's very pretty

(3. ) Image

Barbara Lamarr - The Girl Who Was Too Beautiful - You didn't cheat, I was careless...I'll find another foto.

( 4. ) Image

:D Nita Naldi - ( CORRECT )

( 5. ) Image

:D Olive Thomas - ( CORRECT ) - What a tragic ending.

( 6. ) Image

:( INTO THE NITRATE: "Number six isn't Theda Bera, is it?" ( No Nitrate, I'm afraid not. )

:D Is 6 Jetta Goudal? If not she's definitely of that slinky sophisticated type. Sometimes the shape of the lips is all I have to go on, and Jetta had very distinctive lips, like Lya de Putti. - ( CORRECT )

( 7. ) Image

:D Nazimova - ( CORRECT )

( 8. ) Image

:D Edna Purviance - ( CORRECT ) - I love her last name.

( 9. ) Image

:D Norma Talmadge - ( CORRECT )

( 10. ) Image

:D Pola Negri - ( CORRECT )
WOW!!! Very impressive 'Wren.' Very impressive!!! And I ( sort of ) tried to trick you throw you off track, by picking actresses that looked alike: dark smoky eyes, bee-stung lips, brunette.
Give me a little time and I'll try to remember who#3 and #6 are.
Let me find one more foto for you to guess since I mistakenly picked a picture with LaMarr's name on it. I believe Louis B. Mayer named Hedy after Barbara. If you're interested in a mini - bio on each of these ladies, click on the photo. Anita Page was the youngest born in 1910. The others were born near the end of the 19th century ( 1891, 1894, 1895, 1897...the oldest being Nazimova born in 1879. ) What type of answers would they give to the Chapman Report????
[u]movieman1957[/u] wrote:I have to go PreCode school.
HA! You and me both MM!
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

To make up for Barbara Lamarr...and throwing in two other actresses from the Silent era:

ImageImageImage

Can you name them?

charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Marie Prevost, Mabel Normand? and perhaps Corinne Griffiths.

I love the look of the silent actresses and the way they're photographed.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
charliechaplinfan

Looking at it again I don't think it is Mabel Normand, I know the face but can't put a name to the face.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'm not sure on this one, but my first thought was Mary Pickford so I'll stick with that. I know I've seen it before, but can't quite place her.

Jobyna Ralston

Corinne Griffith
charliechaplinfan

Is that really Jobyna Ralston? If so it doesn't do her justice, she's much more attractive on celluloid.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I agree, she's one of the prettiest silent leading ladies to my eye. Still, I'm pretty sure it's her.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

CineMaven wrote:To make up for Barbara Lamarr...and throwing in two other actresses from the Silent era:

ImageImageImage

Can you name them?
[u][color=#4000BF]charliechaplinfan[/color][/u] wrote:Marie Prevost, Mabel Normand? and perhaps Corinne Griffiths. I love the look of the silent actresses and the way they're photographed.
Lovely photography of these actresses back then. They don't look like faces of today, or do they? No, that's not Mabel Normand, Alison. I know you guys are silent film aficionados so that'd be like shooting fish in a barrel if I put that Sennett beauty here.

charliechaplinfan wrote:Looking at it again I don't think it is Mabel Normand, I know the face but can't put a name to the face.
Don't you hate those "tip-of-my-tongue" occurrences? :o

[color=#4000BF]charliechaplinfan[/color] wrote:Is that really Jobyna Ralston? If so it doesn't do her justice, she's much more attractive on celluloid.
[u][color=#800000]JackFavell[/color][/u] wrote:I agree, she's one of the prettiest silent leading ladies to my eye. Still, I'm pretty sure it's her.
Answering with confidence. I like that.
[u][color=#800000]JackFavell[/color][/u] wrote: Image

I'm not sure on this one, but my first thought was Mary Pickford so I'll stick with that. I know I've seen it before, but can't quite place her.

MARIE PREVOST - Alison is correct on this one.

:D Jobyna Ralston - Yes Wendy, you are ( CORRECT )

:DCorinne Griffith - Wendy & Alison you are both ( CORRECT ) - I find her very striking.
Thank you ladies...thanxxxx for playing along with my quiz. You guys are excellent! And I'd say you know your stuff. You'd be assets on any Trivial Pursuit team. I'm really amazed and impressed!!!

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

You know what's really sad about this? I adore Marie Prevost, she's my very favorite silent star. :oops: :oops: :oops:
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Twenty lashes with a wet noodle. What's your pleasure...angel hair...spaghetti or linguine?

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Angel hair please... :shock:
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

:lol:

good sport!

feaito

Post by feaito »

Loving "La Maven's" Quizzes here! :D
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

And how good are you Feaitito? Are silent film stars your specialty??

feaito

Post by feaito »

Hello my dear Tess, How good am I? I'd like to think I've become -with the passing of time and accumulated experience- a good, fine chap :wink:

No, seriously. When I saw the first Silents -dramatic pictures- back in the mid-1990s ("La Boheme" and "The Lodger") I instantly loved them, so I can't say they are an "acquired taste" in my case. A good film is a good film. But, I had been interested in the Silent Era and its stars since I was a youngster (before even dreaming of watching a Silent film), reading books and looking at photographs. So, I could say that my specialty would be the 1930s-1950s, followed very closely by the 1920s (sadly, not the teens). In fact I was able to identify almost all of the faces you posted very rapidly :wink: