OBITUARIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Hibi

Re: OBITUARIES

Post by Hibi »

Swithin wrote: November 21st, 2023, 9:48 pm I'm sorry to report that Joss Ackland (1928-2023) has died. I first saw him on stage, as Mitch in a London production of A Streetcar Named Desire, with Claire Bloom as Blanche. A few years later, I saw him as Peron in the original London production of Evita. He was a great actor.

His films include White Mischief, A Zed and Two Naughts, and The Hunt for Red October.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2023/n ... d-obituary
Wasn't he in the London production of A Little Night Music with Jean Simmons as well?
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Maybe I shouldn't be morbid, but who do you think will get the last spot of honoe in the TCM Remembers montage next month? Will it be Alan Arkin, Raquel Welch, Stella Stevens, Piper Laurie, Glenda Jackson, Melinda Dillon, Gina Lollobrigida, Harry Belafonte or will is be influential producer Walter Mirish?
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

CinemaInternational wrote: November 22nd, 2023, 2:48 pm Maybe I shouldn't be morbid, but who do you think will get the last spot of honoe in the TCM Remembers montage next month? Will it be Alan Arkin, Raquel Welch, Stella Stevens, Piper Laurie, Glenda Jackson, Melinda Dillon, Gina Lollobrigida, Harry Belafonte or will is be influential producer Walter Mirish?
At this point in time and considering we have a little over an additional month left in this year for more notables to pass on, I'd say the "finale" of this thing would most likely feature Harry Belafonte.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Hibi wrote: November 22nd, 2023, 2:18 pm
Swithin wrote: November 21st, 2023, 9:48 pm I'm sorry to report that Joss Ackland (1928-2023) has died. I first saw him on stage, as Mitch in a London production of A Streetcar Named Desire, with Claire Bloom as Blanche. A few years later, I saw him as Peron in the original London production of Evita. He was a great actor.

His films include White Mischief, A Zed and Two Naughts, and The Hunt for Red October.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2023/n ... d-obituary
Wasn't he in the London production of A Little Night Music with Jean Simmons as well?
Yes, the London premiere. Here he is with Jean Simmons. Adelphi Theatre, London 1975.

ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

:(
was "mr6666" @ TCM
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

:(
-my Fav Beatle
was "mr6666" @ TCM
Andree

Post by Andree »

A fond farewell to Shane MacGowan, main songwriter and lead singer for the Pogues.
He passed today at age 65. Up the rebels.

Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Frances Sternhagen, one of our great theater actresses, has died aged 93. She was nominated for seven Tony Awards, winning two, and created the role of Ethel in On Golden Pond, a role that was played by Katharine Hepburn on film. She appeared often in film and on television, including The Doctors, Cheers, and Sex and the City.

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2023/ ... n-obituary

Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

DENNY LAINE has left the building. Good night, DENNY!

Denny Laine, co-founder of bands Wings and The Moody Blues, dies at 79

https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/05/entertai ... index.html

Marysara1

Post by Marysara1 »

Norman Lear
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

101 years old. Amazing.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

All in the Family still packs a wallop, as does Mary Hartman Mary Hartman.
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

101 is amazing
I watched an interview with Norman Lear a few months back
He gave a great interview , he was mentally sharp , looked very old but had all his marbles. A very talented and brilliant man.
Condolences to his family and friends.

RIP
Norman Lear
You will be missed
Arsan444

Post by Arsan444 »

I just watched Alfred Hitchcock Presents You Got to Have Luck with Marisa and John Cassavetes. RIP.
When in doubt, have another one.