mongoII

Re: *CANDIDS*

Post by mongoII »

Marilyn Monroe, the good little babysitter, reads to a tot
Joseph Goodheart
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

1. This looks like a pre-plastic surgery Marilyn.

2. After surgery, she became a pretty scary babysitter. And the little girl in the photo doesn't really look too happy, either. Look how she's anxiously clutching her little plaid skirt.

3. I had that Little Golden book. Anyone else?
ken123

Post by ken123 »

I had dozens of golden books. Cant remember one now if my life depended on it. :(
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

jdb1 wrote:1. This looks like a pre-plastic surgery Marilyn.

2. After surgery, she became a pretty scary babysitter. And the little girl in the photo doesn't really look too happy, either. Look how she's anxiously clutching her little plaid skirt.

3. I had that Little Golden book. Anyone else?
What exactly did she have done. She's so cute and winsome here, I can't imagine anyone wanting to "improve" her looks. A little off the tip of the nose?

I had many Little Golden books; still do somewhere. One of them had record grooves in the cover so you could play the song on your phonograph that accompanied the story. The one I had was about a singing taxi cab, if I remember correctly... Good training for a later life of hailing taxis.
klondike

Post by klondike »

jdb1 wrote: I had that Little Golden book. Anyone else?
Nope, don't think I had that one, but I did have a bunch!
The one's that I remember best were "Peter Pan & the Indians", "Saggy Baggy Elephant", & "Santa's Workshop". :mrgreen:
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

She had her nose and chin slightly shortened, and I think also a buildup of the cheekbones to make her face look rounder. What I've read about it indicates that whatever she had done was minimal. You can see her with her original face in Ladies of the Chorus. She looks fine there, but not quite "Marilyn" as we know her. I think her agent talked her into the surgery. She was lucky he found her a good surgeon. It might have been a disastrous change. Just think of the grotesqueries we've seen in the faces of some actors and actresses.

How about the Little Golden Book about Someone and His Steamshovel (what was his name)? And the one about the Happy Man and His Dump Truck? I remember being very fond of The Poky Little Puppy. There were a lot of Golden Books about trains, too, as I recall. And don't forget -- there were Big Golden Books, too. I had one about physics, believe it or not, and I still remember things from it, like leverage and pulleys and inclined planes. It was intended for little kids, but it apparently had a big impact, at least on me.
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Wendy - I had the same thoughts as you about James Dean - ick. And I don't even have an icky ex.
I guess if you can't see JD/s eyes, he doesn't have 'it'.
Emote away, friend, these images do bring up a lot of angst!
Birdt
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Thanks, Birdy. :D
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Lovely Louise Brooks in her solitude
Joseph Goodheart
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

jdb1 wrote:She had her nose and chin slightly shortened, and I think also a buildup of the cheekbones to make her face look rounder. What I've read about it indicates that whatever she had done was minimal. You can see her with her original face in Ladies of the Chorus. She looks fine there, but not quite "Marilyn" as we know her. I think her agent talked her into the surgery. She was lucky he found her a good surgeon. It might have been a disastrous change. Just think of the grotesqueries we've seen in the faces of some actors and actresses.
How about the Little Golden Book about Someone and His Steamshovel (what was his name)? And the one about the Happy Man and His Dump Truck? I remember being very fond of The Poky Little Puppy. There were a lot of Golden Books about trains, too, as I recall. And don't forget -- there were Big Golden Books, too. I had one about physics, believe it or not, and I still remember things from it, like leverage and pulleys and inclined planes. It was intended for little kids, but it apparently had a big impact, at least on me.
I recognize that there's a difference between the look of Norma Jean and Marilyn, but guess I was naive enough to think the change was a result of maturing rather than a scalpel. I'm amazed that plastic surgery was so advanced at the time, and I wonder how much influence Hollywood had in the progression of the profession. I'd be afraid to go under the knife today, as the ambitions of the doctor&client seems often to be surpassed to sorry results.
And yes, I had The Happy Man and His Dump Truck too! He was jolly and unkempt and I was delighted by his rollicking menagerie.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I had The Poky Little Puppy, and The Train that Could. Also a very shortened version of Mother Goose, and Humpty Dumpty.

Wow, talk about visiting the mists of Time!
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

APRIL 7th. BIRTHDAYS

ROBERTA SHORE is 67 today

FRANCIS FORD COPPOLA is 71 today

WAYNE ROGERS is 77 today

DOE AVEDON is 82 today

JAMES GARNER is 82 today

GLORIA WARREN is 84 today

R.G. ARMSTRONG is 93 today

WILLIAM EYTHE (1918 - 1957)

RONALD HOWARD (1918 - 1996)

ANTHONY CARUSO (1916 - 2003)

BERT WHEELER (1895 - 1968)
Joseph Goodheart
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Wayne Rogers and James Garner on the same day? That's wonderful. I like them both so much. I wouldn't say Rogers was the greatest actor in the world, but he had a nice sunny personality, just like Garner. I think he never really found his niche in movies or TV. I did like that show, City of Angels that he did.
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

I'm taking it as a good omen that so many are still alive today!