WHAT SILENTS & PRE-CODES HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

JackFavell

Re: WHAT SILENTS & PRE-CODES HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by JackFavell »

I hope this copy of Manhandled is in a little better shape, Alison, though I'm not sure. I really enjoyed the movie, it was quick, light and funny. I was continually surprised at the route it took to get where it was going. Very pleasant, and sometimes I like light fare better than the heavy or dramatic stuff. My favorite films all tend to be light, with a few exceptions. It's actually harder to do.

I've never seen Madame X, I'd be curious because when I first saw Guilty Hands, I thought it was just terrible, that Barrymore really botched it, directing wise. Then I saw it again recently and it seemed much better.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Ali & Wendy I saw "Madame X" (1929) eons ago, but I recall that in spite of its stifness and stdoginess (and Barrymore's poor direction), Ruth Chatterton gives a rather strong performance (Wasn't she nominated for an A.A. for it?)

The best version of the story is in IMO the 1937 film in which MGM starred Gladys George. I enjoyed that one much better, but I saw it even more eons and eons ago (perhaps in the 1980s?).

The first version I ever saw in my life was the 1965 film released by Universal in which Connie Bennett shines as the evil mother-in-law and looks as young as Lana Turner, who was 15 years her junior....I haven't seen that one in years either.

They'd make a fine triple feature!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I realize I've never actually seen any of the films called Madame X! Lots of copies though.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I watched Stella Maris (1919) the other day.

Mary Pickford was first rate in BOTH roles, that of delicate, unworldly Stella, which was probably the harder part to play convincingly, and that of Unity, the poor ugly waif. The idea that the ugly girl has more beauty inside than any of them can see was very moving, and even though I was not planning on it, the end was done so delicately that I started crying anyway - talk about a tear jerker, it literally yanked those tears right out of my eyes before I even realized I was going to cry!

I thought the acting all around was very good. I liked the leading man Conway Tearle, he was stoic and Victorian. His shrewish alcoholic and unhappy wife was played very well by Marcia Manon. I'd like to see her in another film, if one exists, she was excellent.

But of course this was Mary's picture, and she just blew it away, in both roles. The woman was probably the most photogenic of all actresses, and the most expressive of all time. She was brilliant at both roles, and I was surprised at how much I liked Stella, but of course we love Unity best... the makeup was phenomenal, using Pickford's own features to create a plain look without overdoing it. And because the makeup was so simple, it allowed the expressiveness to show even more. Brilliant performance, as both characters.

I also watched a couple of Gloria Swanson/Bobby Vernon silents shorts - The Danger Girl and The Sultan's Wife (which I think was re-titled Caught in a Harem). It's almost impossible to recognize Gloria as she would later become from these, but her acting is always very good and natural. She's got a spark that the camera loves, and she's very down to earth. I think this was the secret of her appeal all along, fancy clothes, down to earth acting.

Bobby Vernon was just great, he's wonderful as the comic hero in both films. I feel like I've rediscovered him, since I had a couple of their shorts when I was a kid - he's a great favorite of mine now, he's quite lovable and you really believe he could get himself into all these scrapes. He's terribly expressive without overdoing it, and he and Gloria fly around like maniacs in this films. It's amazing that no one got hurt. Teddy the wonder dog also makes an appearance, and that's always a good thing. I really felt for him, getting roped into these films without having a voice to say, "hey! Don't step on me!". He get's a workout anyway. These are really nothing as far as script is concerned, just twenty minutes of ad libbing and goofing around, but they ARE funny, and it's a very entertaining way to kill a little time. I recommend them highly.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Stella Maris is such a wonderful silent, it pushes the envelope in so many ways, playing a double role, playing someone so unlovely on the outside, the one role the typical Mary grown up role, the other a bit like the waif roles she plays but poor, unkempt, unloved. She's such a good actress, something she just doesn't get credit for now. I'm so glad you've got to see it Wendy.

I forgot about Manhandled this morning, I watched Straitjacket instead, a very different kind of movie.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
feaito

Post by feaito »

charliechaplinfan wrote:I watched Straitjacket instead, a very different kind of movie.
Joan chopping heads off!! This movie is a fave cult film of mine and it haunted my sister-in-law's dreams for years...She wasn't able to see Crawford on film or pictures for decades; she scared her too much. Today I'm recording "I saw What You Did" (1965) a juvenile romp in which Joan has a small but stellar role...
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'm glad I got to see it too, Mary probably thanked Frances Marion a kajillion times for writing her these roles to play.
charliechaplinfan

Straitjacket didn't frighten me at all, I found it very tongue in cheek but had I watched it when I was younger and alone I might not have been so brave.

I watched the youtube copy of Manhandledit is a good film, it really gives Gloria chance to show her flare for comedy and sport more flattering clothes than insome of the Demille films, I love the fashionable bob, Gloria has quite a strong chin and nose and can look wonderful with the right hat and haircut as she does here. It also highlights how tiny she is. A lovely film, it did strike me how every silent star apart from perhaps Garbo made at least one film like this, shop girl to better things with some up and downs along the way. Gloria's contribution to the genre is one of the better ones.

Wendy, I've loved silent movies for years but it was with Jeanne Basinger's Silent Stars. If you haven't read it I get it out of your library.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'll check it out!

I've always thought that Gloria looked better with her hair around her face, as in this one and the long full hair knotted or loosely falling of her early comedies. I liked her hair so much here that I almost decided to cut mine the same way, until I realized that I am no Gloria Swanson, that my jawline is decidedly the worst part of my features. Still, the power of it still has me thinking about it... just call me a shopgirl.... You are so right about each female star going the shopgirl route, they must have been the largest rising target audience throughout the 20's.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Just watched "LONELY WIVES." Yikes...what a hoary old tale of impersonations and mistaken identities...starring Edward Everett Horton in a double role ( a la Patty Duke. ) Kind of painful to watch, it went on and on and on. But it did star Esther Ralston. That made it better.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
Robert Regan

Post by Robert Regan »

Sad but true, Theresa. Most of the Esther Ralston movies available these days are not very good. Lonely Wives is an example, though I appreciated Edward Everett Horton being given a leading role for a change. What this movie lacked is present in Lubitsch's The Marriage Circle, probably the best film with Ralston that we can easily see today. Her part is small, but she looks gorgeous. Fortunately we also have Adolphe Menjou, Florence Vidor, and Marie Prevost greatly amusing us between Esther sightings. Womanhandled came out on dvd this year. Ralston stars with Richard Dix in a Gregory LaCava comedy. Some of my European internet friends have praised the English Rome Express as highly enjoyable, if not quite The Lady Vanishes. It also has some young people like Conrad Veidt and Cedric Hardwicke, but I don't think it's available in the US. Still, the very top of my dream list is the rediscovery of her last silent, The Case of Lena Smith. It sounds like the best part she ever had, and you've seen some of the stills on my Sternberg project. As I've said before, every woman should be photographed at least once by JVS! In the meantime, we fans must be contented with her B pictures of the thirties, her punishment for spurning the advances of the reptilian Louis Mayer.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Definitely Esther was the best thing in Lonely Wives, aside from EEH. Laura LaPlante is a good actress, not really sure what happened to her after sound. In this one she tried but couldn't really bring the material up. I actually enjoyed Lonely Wives a bit more than you guys, but I have a migraine this morning and it was so ridiculous and didn't take any thought on my part to watch. Sometimes a hoary old movie is better than all the other daytime TV put togither.
Robert Regan

Post by Robert Regan »

Good Point, Wendy. Take care of your poor head.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Will do!
charliechaplinfan

Daytime TV. Does anyone watch it and stay sane? I do hope that migraine went away Wendy.

I love Gloria's bob, I was thinking the same myself, I love the bob but my face shape was not made for the bob. I just love the clean lines and sleek look though, if only. It flatters Gloria so much, she had the bob before Louise Brooks made it iconic. The other hairdo I really like from this era is Clara Bow's, especially when she has that silk scarf wrapped around it.