SPORTS

Chit-chat, current events
laffite

Re: SPORTS

Post by laffite »

And now we know that Rogers is OUT FOR THE SEASON!
The Saga of Gosta Berling (1924)
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

What I liked about this whole thing was how after the game the VERY talented Josh Allen admitted that it was HIS fault for the Bills' loss.

Yep, his performance last night reminded me of a Broncos game I watched years ago and when another VERY talented young QB with a great arm first came into the league.

His name: John Elway. Yep, I'll never forget that game in which it appeared because he knew he possessed that great arm, he thought he could rifle his passes to his receivers who were being double AND in some cases even TRIPLE covered.

Nope, it didn't work out so well for HIM that day EITHER!

(...I think he had somethin' like four or five interceptions that day in fact and as I recall)
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Dargo wrote: September 12th, 2023, 6:47 pm What I liked about this whole thing was how after the game the VERY talented Josh Allen admitted that it was HIS fault for the Bills' loss.

Yep, his performance last night reminded me of a Broncos game I watched years ago and when another VERY talented young QB with a great arm first came into the league.

His name: John Elway. Yep, I'll never forget that game in which it appeared because he knew he possessed that great arm, he thought he could rifle his passes to his receivers who were being double AND in some cases even TRIPLE covered.

Nope, it didn't work out so well for HIM that day EITHER!

(...I think he had somethin' like four or five interceptions that day in fact and as I recall)
Yea, Josh Allen is a classy individual. Note that this first week of pro-football, is going to change how teams approach the pre-season, where many (most now?) coaches were not playing their starters. It was clear that simple things were just not in sync. What if funny is that Ram's coach McVay was one of the first to not play his starters, but the Rams played really well in game #1. My guess is that is because the Rams have so many new players and rookies and many of these guys did play pre-season games.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: September 12th, 2023, 7:21 pm
Yea, Josh Allen is a classy individual. Note that this first week of pro-football, is going to change how teams approach the pre-season, where many (most now?) coaches were not playing their starters. It was clear that simple things were just not in sync. What if funny is that Ram's coach McVay was one of the first to not play his starters, but the Rams played really well in game #1. My guess is that is because the Rams have so many new players and rookies and many of these guys did play pre-season games.
Yeah, Stafford was pretty much right on target and proficient for the most part yesterday. Like old times. Actually, I was very surprised the Rams as a team played as well as they did.

However, the way the 49ers beat up on the Steelers and as well as the now healed-up Purdy played, it still looks like they're the class of the NFC West and maybe the entire conference.

(...but of course, it's still way too early in the season to really tell such things)
Last edited by Dargo on September 13th, 2023, 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
jamesjazzguitar

Dargo wrote: September 12th, 2023, 9:01 pm
jamesjazzguitar wrote: September 12th, 2023, 7:21 pm
Yeah, Stafford was pretty much right on target and proficient for the most part yesterday. Like old times. Actually, I was very surprised the Rams as a team played as well as they did.

However, the way the 49ers beat up on the Steelers and as well as the now heeled-up Purdy played, it still looks like they're the class of the NFC West and maybe the entire conference.

(...but of course, it's still way too early in the season to really tell such things)
Yea, that 49ers team is very well balanced, like the Eagles, and these two teams are the best in the NFC. Dallas looked great but they often do and melt down as the season goes on. If Purdy continues to play within the run-based 49ers' system (which in most cases doesn't require Purdy to say the day in the 4th quarter), the 49 should make it to the NFC Championship game.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Miss Wonderly is crying in her beer after Toronto got swept by the Texas Rangers, a four gamer. But there is no crying in baseball.
Last edited by Thompson on September 14th, 2023, 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Corey Seager is the best player in baseball.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Thompson wrote: September 14th, 2023, 10:08 pm Corey Seager is the best player in baseball.
Was listening to a sports radio station here in DFW and they were just saying how he gets no MVP discussion outside the DFW area...
jamesjazzguitar

Thompson wrote: September 14th, 2023, 10:08 pm Corey Seager is the best player in baseball.
Current Dodger Mookie Betts is the best player in baseball. Former Dodger Seager is in top 5.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: September 15th, 2023, 10:04 am
Current Dodger Mookie Betts is the best player in baseball. Former Dodger Seager is in top 5.
I'd agree with you about Mookie here James, however isn't it interesting how both Seager's and Cody Bellinger's play has so greatly improved since the Dodgers traded them away?
laffite

Post by laffite »

Dargo wrote: September 15th, 2023, 10:18 am
I'd agree with you about Mookie here James, however isn't it interesting how both Seager's and Cody Bellinger's play has so greatly improved since the Dodgers traded them away?
The probably feel freer away from Roberts. And Pederson too, didn't he excel as well?
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

laffite wrote: September 15th, 2023, 11:17 am

The probably feel freer away from Roberts. And Pederson too, didn't he excel as well?
Pederson's stats have pretty much remined the same since the Dodgers traded him away. Mostly middling but occasionally able to get a key hit. I think he's pretty much used as a DH by the Giants now days, although I did see him make a pretty impressive catch in left field while watching a D-Backs/Giants game a few weeks back.

Yeah, I know you're not a Dave Roberts fan at all. I remember the time you stated around here (or maybe it was on the old TCM boards) that you believe the Dodgers would have won more World Series titles this past decade with a different manager.

(...but I've always chalked that up to two things...one, being that their old longtime closer during this era Kenley "Ol' Two Pitch"--and neither of them a decent breaking pitch--Jansen often faltering in big games, and secondly that their ace Clayton Kershaw's strange inability to locate his off-speed stuff during his second appearance within a playoff series)
Last edited by Dargo on September 15th, 2023, 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jamesjazzguitar

Dargo wrote: September 15th, 2023, 11:57 am

Pederson's stats have pretty much remined the same since the Dodgers traded him away. I think he's pretty much used as a DH by the Giants now days, although I did see him make a pretty impressive catch in left field while watching a D-Backs/Giants game a few weeks back.

Yeah, I know you're not a Dave Roberts fan at all. I remember the time you stated around here (or maybe it was on the old TCM boards) that you believe the Dodgers would have won more World Series titles this past decade with a different manager.

(...but I've always chalked that up to two things...one, being that their old longtime closer Kenley "Ol' Two Pitch" (and neither of them a decent breaking pitch) Jansen often faltering in big games, and secondly that their Ace Clayton Kershaw's strange inability to locate his off-speed stuff during his second appearance in a playoff series)
I would add the sign stealing by the Astros. That was very effective against Yu Darvish and Kershaw.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: September 15th, 2023, 12:02 pm
I would add the sign stealing by the Astros. That was very effective against Yu Darvish and Kershaw.
Yeah, that's true as well.

(...still can't believe that at the very minimum there isn't a big ol' asterix placed next to their name on each and every list of WS champs)
laffite

Post by laffite »

Pederson's stats have pretty much remined the same since the Dodgers traded him away. Mostly middling but occasionally able to get a key hit. I think he's pretty much used as a DH by the Giants now days, although I did see him make a pretty impressive catch in left field while watching a D-Backs/Giants game a few weeks back.

(...but I've always chalked that up to two things...one, being that their old longtime closer during this era Kenley "Ol' Two Pitch"--and neither of them a decent breaking pitch--Jansen often faltering in big games, and secondly that their ace Clayton Kershaw's strange inability to locate his off-speed stuff during his second appearance within a playoff series)

I wouldn't blame Kershaw nor Kenley. Both have pitched decently at times in the playoffs. Roberts doesn't seem to handle pitchers well in the post season. He will boast a pitching rotation of 5, 6, and one time as many 8, to show off his pitching staff; but when it's playoff time he won't trust them much. In the last loss to the Braves in the playoff he panicked, using Buhler too much. Usually a starter he was he used in relief and I remember him yielding that three-run homer to Eddie Rosario that sunk the Dodgers. A great at bat for him, he studied Buhler intently not moving his gaze and then got the pitch he wanted. As if he spotted s weakness of even fatigue. Buhler is a young fellow, still ... but even before Rosario's homer he looked tired. Part of my dislike of Roberts is his adoption of the new wave of tendencies like the 100 pitch rule. Mattingly is like that, or was ... if he is even still managing. But lots of managers are thinking like that. Losing to the Padres last year was certainly not Robert's fault. The Dodgers did not perform well and though you can cast blame based on stats, the long view is, well, that's baseball for you. After a long, long season, the playoffs are short and dangerous. Anything can happen (as you know, of course).