Gilbert Roland - A Latin Performer Unbounded

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Maricatrin

Re: Gilbert Roland - A Latin Performer Unbounded

Post by Maricatrin »

I was browsing a used book store several weeks ago, and there was a funny little story I read in a movie book at the time, in which Gilbert Roland explained why he had a certain aversion to stage work:

Roland was playing Armand Duval in a stage production of Camille opposite Jane Cowl when they were set to perform in Los Angeles to an audience packed full of celebrities. In a certain scene, he was to make his entrance while Cowl, as Camille, was sitting at a table writing. His first line in the scene was to be "what are you doing, my dear? writing a letter?" The trouble was, Cowl was so nervous by the star studded audience that she was pacing up and down the stage wringing her hands when Roland entered. As he later explained, his command of English was not firm enough at that time for ad-libbing, so he went ahead and delivered his line "what are you doing, my dear? writing a letter?" It brought down the house (and, unfortunately, Miss Cowl's wrath!)

P.S. Hilarious review of The Reward (1965), Moira. :lol: Now my curiosity is satisfied, and I don't need to see it. I was curious about it because it had Roland, and also Efrem Zimbalist Jr. (who I love as Stu Bailey on 77 Sunset Strip.)
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaricatrinsMusicVideos
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Mary-Kate wrote:I was browsing a used book store several weeks ago, and there was a funny little story I read in a movie book at the time, in which Gilbert Roland explained why he had a certain aversion to stage work:

Roland was playing Armand Duval in a stage production of Camille opposite Jane Cowl when they were set to perform in Los Angeles to an audience packed full of celebrities. In a certain scene, he was to make his entrance while Cowl, as Camille, was sitting at a table writing. His first line in the scene was to be "what are you doing, my dear? writing a letter?" The trouble was, Cowl was so nervous by the star studded audience that she was pacing up and down the stage wringing her hands when Roland entered. As he later explained, his command of English was not firm enough at that time for ad-libbing, so he went ahead and delivered his line "what are you doing, my dear? writing a letter?" It brought down the house (and, unfortunately, Miss Cowl's wrath!)

P.S. Hilarious review of The Reward (1965), Moira. :lol: Now my curiosity is satisfied, and I don't need to see it. I was curious about it because it had Roland, and also Efrem Zimbalist Jr. (who I love as Stu Bailey on 77 Sunset Strip.)
Mary Kate, I'd forgotten that story, though I do recall that Lionel Barrymore was said to have coached GR prior to his attempted stage debut. His nervousness on stage did not prevent him from performing live again--this time before millions of viewers, as described below:

From Arthur Penn: American Director by Nat Segaloff (Univ. of KY, 2011) comes the story of an encounter with Gilbert Roland, who was preparing to appear in a Playhouse 90 production called Invitation to a Gunfighter. While to the young New Yorkers involved in the feverish production atmosphere of live television, his presence seemed to hark back to an earlier style of acting, I suspect that his flamboyant appearance, which was one that he adopted when appearing in less than stellar material in the '50s, may have been his defense in a relatively new medium with a new generation. This role was later cited by GR as among the very best of his career.:
For his second Playhouse 90, Penn was given a script that Leslie Stevens had written from a story by Hal Goodman and Larry Klein. Invitation to a Gunfighter was a psychological western at a time when the psychological western was only just coming into being, notably in the films of Anthony Mann, and later of Penn himself. [The Furies was made in 1950 and The Ox-Bow Incident" (William A. Wellman, 1943), "High Noon" (Fred Zinnemann, 1952), and "Shane" (George Stevens, 1953), so this seems a bit of a stretch].

The story is a variation on the warning 'Be careful what you wish for"; gunfighter Hugh O'Brian terrorizes a small western town, so the people hire another gunfighter, Gilbert Roland, to chase him away. When Roland becomes more despotic than O'Brian, the townspeople rehire O'Brian to get rid of Roland. 'It was non-horse western because you couldn't get a horse on the stage without the horse going to the bathroom every four seconds,' recalls Del Reisman, Playhouse 90's story editor. 'Martin [Manulis] gave it to Arthur; it was kind of like, 'It's your turn, Arthur, this is the script.' He brought excitement to it and brought some psychology into the characters. I always admired Arthur for that because it was just a routine story, and by plunging into it the way he did, he gave it some substance.

'Gilbert Roland came into the rehearsal hall,' continues Reisman, 'and he had some kind of Mexican sombrero with spangles, shirt open down to here, and big leather wristbands. He was a delightful person, but he was an old-fashioned movie star, and he was letting everybody know it. He would be at one end of the rehearsal hall, and Arthur would call him, and Gilbert would turn around like he was posing, like he was looking for his close-up. It was a crazy show, but Arthur really brought something to it.
The program aired on March 7, 1957, one week prior to one of the best original productions for that program, Requiem for a Heavyweight.

This was made into a fair western in 1964 starring Yul Brynner in the role originated by GR.

Reviews were generally good and even a bit laudatory for GR:
"Playhouse 90's 'Invitation to a Gunfighter' seemed to be another ramshackle pioneer plot until Gilbert Roland came into the plot halfway through and lifted its level to excitement..." - UPI March 8, 1957.

Here's an interesting sidelight on GR's reported love of music (his tastes were reportedly toward classical music).

From Hedda Hopper's column on March 10, 1964:
Gilbert Roland has a new crush, Folk Singer Joan Baez. He drove 100 miles to hear her concert at Redlands University, then trekked to San Diego State College [to catch her next show]. He said: 'She is beautiful like a madonna, accompanies herself on the guitar, no scenery, no nothing. It makes your heart ache to hear her.' I asked if Amigo if he's given up bullfights for folk singing, so he told me about Cordobez, a young matador who has made $4 million in three years by fighting every day. Travels around Mexico in Cantinfla's plane. He's now in Spain. Roland finished a 'Fugitive' segment and will narrate a documentary on the Mexican revolution [I'm not sure if this ever came to fruition]. He and Danny Blum [the author of "A Pictorial History of the Silent Screen" and other books on film and theater history] visited Eugene O'Brien (1880-1966), who is in a nursing home. Gene and Norma Talmadge were the two best lovers of the silent films.
Above, Norma Talmadge and Eugene O'Brien in Graustark (1925).
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

How fascinating, especially since Invitation to a Gunfighter (the Yul Brynner feature film) is a favorite western of mine.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

MissGoddess wrote:How fascinating, especially since Invitation to a Gunfighter (the Yul Brynner feature film) is a favorite western of mine.
I would love to see GR's version of the gunfighter in the story. I came across a note indicating that a recording of this original version was available in some libraries, especially in the Los Angeles and New York areas (though I haven't found any commercially). You might find something in the NYPL, which has such vast holdings.

If anyone likes Joan Baez, you can hear her sing several Spanish and Portugese songs on youtube. Here is my favorite with Joan playing the guitar beautifully and singing "La Llorona" (The Weeping Woman). You can hear a collection of other Spanish songs sung by Baez here.
[youtube][/youtube]

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Very nice! I love Spanish guitar music. It's interesting that Gilbert was so flamboyant on set yet he appreciated the simple beauty of a singer accompanied only by a single instrument.

I shamefully neglect my access to the New York Public Library, especially considering I literally walk past the main library on 5th Avenue every day to go to work. My office even faces Bryant Park (behind the library) on 6th Ave. I keep meaning to go in, and see the exhibits if nothing else, but I've been bad.
-- Will Rogers
Maricatrin

Post by Maricatrin »

Ah, the Playhouse 90 Invitation to a Gunfighter. I've been curious about that one, it sounds intriguing. And it reminds me of a children's book I used to read, called The King, the Mice and the Cheese : A Kingdom brings in cats to get rid of the mice, then dogs for the cats, lions for the dogs, elephants for the lions, and lastly, of course, mice for the elephants. Invitation to a Gunfighter forgoes all that middle business, though;-)

To some aspects of Baez I am not partial, but her singing is beautiful, and I love spare musical accompaniment. Modern music accompanies singers to death. Of course, screaming through one's nose never sounds good anyway, so I can't just blame the accompaniment. :roll:

Marty Robbins didn't play the Spanish Guitar himself, but it's a most welcome addition to many of his songs. To learn the "finger-picking"technique of guitar playing has long been a wistful desire of mine.

I've already listened to "The Weeping Woman" three times as I've been typing, so beautiful (sniff). Thank you!

The Great Gilbert had a good "ear" for music...
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaricatrinsMusicVideos
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Regular visitors to this spot might enjoy knowing that After Tonight (1933)--which we celebrated here in a series of animated gifs a few weeks ago in this thread--is scheduled to be aired on TCM on May 10th, 2012. Info about the time, etc., does not appear to be accessible just yet on the TCM site, but here is the plot as described on IMDb:
"While romancing a beautiful Russian countess, a captain in the Austrian intelligence service is assigned to capture "K-14", a clever spy who has so far managed to remain undetected. What the captain doesn't know is that he is actually closer to the spy than he realizes."
As a follow-up to the social comedy of manners in Our Betters, when Constance Bennett first co-starred with Gilbert Roland, this RKO movie was not considered a financial or critical success, though some commentators have found the movie has some interest. In The Bennetts: An Acting Family (University Press of Kentucky, 2004), Brian Kellow wrote that the "chemistry between Constance and Gilbert was virtually the only sign of life in After Tonight, and it was Constance's third flop in a row. "

The New York Times' Mordaunt Hall's assessment wasn't very positive either, as you can see in this November 3, 1933 review.

Others saw it in a slightly better light:
"Also in 1933, Constance Bennett and Gilbert Roland starred in After Tonight. She's the desirable, disguise expert Russian spy in a film promoted for its hot love affair. He's the Austrian agent who doesn't know she's the target of his investigation. Both actors were blasted for their portrayals, and Bennett lost her studio contract for the disaster. Still, the film is remembered for its rare, sympathetic portrayal of Russian underlings and its emphasis on the craft of spying, including secret messages written in invisible ink, sewed into clothes, or hidden in fake coins. As a result of some scenes, the film is justly seen as a defense for espionage.."~ Wesley Alan Britton, Onscreen and Undercover: The Ultimate Book of Movie Espionage (ABC-CLIO, Inc., 2004)
Primarily a vehicle for Constance to vamp it up as a spy à la Dietrich and Garbo, the movie has been kindly described as "a confection" by some who've seen it. All I know is that the stills of the pair of leads are muy romántico, even though in a couple of these pics Connie looks as though she's trying to remember if she left the iron on at home...

I haven't had much time to check it out much, but there is a relatively new website devoted to Constance Bennett here. Enjoy!

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Woo-hoo! Great news!

I actually read those reviews when you posted the clips before, Moira, and I still wanted to see this one desperately. I don't know how good it will be, but I like 1930's confection, generally speaking.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Hey! One of the Gilbert Roland movies we have speculated about in this thread has shown up on the Encore Western Channel in April. According to several posters on IMDb, the script is different and quite engaging, with a bit different ending than the usual shoot-out. I'm not hoping for too much, but seeing GR and the rather likable Jock Mahoney in a cowboy movie set in Mexico with a very young Linda Cristal sounds pretty neat. Here's the details of the flick, with the times:
The Last Of The Fast Guns (1958-George Sherman) with Jock Mahoney, Gilbert Roland, Linda Cristal , Eduard Franz, Lorne Greene, Carl Benton Reid, Edward C Platt, Eduardo Noriega, Jorge Trevino, Rafael Alcayde, and Lee Morgan

Synopsis: A gun fighter hired to find a man's long-missing brother in Mexico almost loses his life as he succeeds.
Sunday, April 1st 6:35pm ET
Friday, April 20th 8:00pm ET
Saturday, April 21st 3:05am ET

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Yay! I got my wish, I really wanted to see this movie. So glad it's on today, I can't wait.
-- Will Rogers
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

I don't watch post 1952 movies on Encore Westerns anymore, unless I'm desperate.

Last of the Fast Guns was a Cinemascope production and Encore Westerns always uses old full-screen masters. So two-thirds of Last of the Fast Guns will be missing. Sidonis in France has released this title in France (as Duel dans la Sierra) in the proper widescreen ratio.

I wish Universal would start releasing its Westerns library in the U.S., but right now these titles are only seeing the light of day thanks to Sidonis. Well worth buying an all-region, all-system player to take advantage! ;)
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Ay yi yi yi yi!!!

MAJOR SPOILERS....LAST OF THE FAST GUNS

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh nooooooooooooo. There are some things I have a hard time accepting that seem so basic to others. Winter. Awakening before noon. Dieting. And seeing a performer I like do something I can't bear for him to do. In this case, when I saw Gilbertito shoot Linda Cristal in the leg....well, it was like when Bambi's mom got plugged. I sort of squealed and wished I could go back in time and say "Mi amor...I mean mi amigo, you must not accept this role! You cannot shoot a woman (unless it's Blanche Yurka)!"

And yet, my other love, Robert Ryan, played so many bad men and I accept it. Still, sigh....it just felt so wrong. But yes, yes, I know that Gilbertito makes the film. Without such a man playing Miles Lang (all these Irishmen in Mexico and none of them Anthony Quinn!)...there would be no impact to the character Forbes' last words upon Gilbertito's (ignominious) death (plunging like a popsicle down a beautiful Mexican canyon)..."With him went a part of all of us." We are supposed to feel a sense of loss that this man has died, that he turned out not to be what we believed him to be. And so Gilbert Roland is a perfect choice to play Miles Lang.

But, I still say "noooooooooooo! you must not play a man who shoots a woman!"

By the way....it's funny that right after this movie is The Plainsman, a really wonderful De Mille western starring...Gary Cooper. And I have to say, though Jock Mahoney (Irish again!) is not bad looking, I kept thinking the whole time...good heavens, how much better this movie would be if Gary Cooper played this part. I would LOVE to see Gary and Gilbertito paired up like Jock and he were...now that would mean something. And for those who doubt Gary's acting ability, they'd only need to compare what he would have done with such a role to what Jock brings to it. And I don't mean to be unkind to Mahoney, he's fine, but he's...no Gary Cooper. And Gilbert deserved to always play against the best.

Sheesh, and poor Linda! She's so beautiful and fiery and intense...and it was like she was talking to a post! If she'd said her passionate dialogue to Gilbert, ay yi yi yi (I repeat myself). She would have had something to work off of. Jock didn't blink, not once. I guess she preferred gringos, though.

Thank you so very much, Moira, for posting a notice of this movie's broadcast because I am very glad to have watched (and recorded it). The Mexican locations...sigh. So beautiful and ragged and...well they were even better put to use in Gary Cooper's western, Garden of Evil. I love the lushness, the greenness. Maybe that's what all those Irish were doing there! It reminded them of home.
:D
-- Will Rogers
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Uh, oh!! I had to go out and haven't had a chance to see this recording yet, so I will hold off reading your entire post until I've seen this one, Miss G. It sounds as though it is action-packed, even if it gives Gilbertistas a bit of angst. :wink:

Paula, I understand how you feel about the disappointing technical standards of broadcast films, but, I guess I'm a peasant, since seeing movies without commercials is my idea of a great break. If I waited to see stuff that was pristine and just the way the filmmakers intended, it's doubtful that I would have caught a third of the movies I love.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Enjoy, it's really worth watching, Moira and I look forward to your own review...P.S. I love your Chester Morris avatar!
-- Will Rogers
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

MissGoddess wrote:Enjoy, it's really worth watching, Moira and I look forward to your own review...P.S. I love your Chester Morris avatar!
Thanks, Miss G. I'll try to view this by Tuesday.

Re: Chester Morris
I have been reveling in his good-natured bantam manner as Boston Blackie lately. Makes me want to see him and Carole Lombard trading quips in The Gay Bride again!

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks