Coming Up on TCM

Discussion of programming on TCM.
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: Coming Up on TCM

Post by moira finnie »

Two interesting and realistic WWII movies that rarely see the light of day are scheduled on TCM today. You can click on the titles below to see the TCM article about each movie:

The Cruel Sea (1953)
Tuesday, February 7 @ 03:15 PM (ET)
A British-made adaptation of Nicholas Monserrat's classic book directed by Charles Frend (Scott of the Antarctic, Lease of Life) this movie features one of the greatest performances of Jack (*sigh*) Hawkins as the conflicted captain of a small corvette, the H.M.S. Compass Rose--but please give it some time--it takes awhile to see how complex the relationships are among the crew and the toll on the captain's spirit as time goes on. Denholm Elliot, Stanley Baker and Donald Sinden are among the men facing long odds and enormous stress on their humanity in their work in the North Atlantic. Virginia McKenna and Moira Lister are also among the cast--Lister is particularly interesting. You don't have to be a war movie fan to be moved by this compelling story, which earned Eric Ambler an Oscar nomination for Best Writing, Screenplay. (Hawkins won a BAFTA as Best Actor, and the film won for Best British Film and Best Film from any Source in the following year. The Cruel Sea is available on DVD, (and has recently been issued on Blu-Ray in the UK) but the high price may make it more desirable to crank up the DVR or VCR. Below is the trailer:

[youtube][/youtube]

Decision Before Dawn (1951)
Tuesday, February 7 @ 08:00 PM (ET)
Oskar Werner appears in one of his first international roles. Under the strong direction of Anatole Litvak (City for Conquest, Anastasia), the actor gave a deeply moving performance in this story of a former German soldier and now an Allied POW who agrees to act as an American spy just as the Third Reich began to collapse, leaving all the citizenry and the military spiritually and socially fractured. The sensitive Werner, working with US Army military intelligence men Richard Basehart and Gary Merrill, returns to German-held territory and must cope with his own guilt, fear and paranoia as he makes his way through the terrible disarray that surrounds him. There is excellent work from Werner as well as a very young Hildegarde Knef and O. E. Hasse (familiar to many from Hitchcock's I Confess and Seaton's The Big Lift). This movie was nominated for Oscars for Best Film Editing by Dorothy Spencer and as Best Picture. Anatole Litvak was recognized by the DGA for Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Motion Pictures and Franz Planer won a Golden Globe for his stark black and white cinematography.

According to Werner's biography, he may have brought his personal experiences to this role. Drafted into the Wehrmacht despite his pacifism, Werner was married to a half-Jewish actress, Elizabeth Kallina, an untenable position as the war went on and their daughter, Elinore, was born in 1944. Near the closing days of the war, Werner went AWOL, and lived surreptitiously with his wife and infant in the Vienna Woods, foraging for food and dodging both the Russians and Germans while Vienna was devastated by invaders and occupiers. Decision Before Dawn may be one of the best films to characterize the war as a necessary but cataclysmic human tragedy seen through the eyes of one of the best post-war actors. A DVD of this movie is readily available at an affordable price but you can see the entire film (with Spanish subtitles) here and an excellent fan-made trailer is below.

[youtube][/youtube]
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I saw "Decision" about two years ago. I thought it was a good drama. I've been wanting to see "The Cruel Sea." Frankly, I'm not sure how I missed the listing. Thanks for the reminder.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

If any of you folks did record The Cruel Sea, I could use a copy, as I was busy at work and forgot to use my remote recording method (I call my wife 10 mins. beforehand and tell her to put in a disk and hit record).
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

aaahh, I missed recording The Cruel Sea, doggone it!

I wish I had recorded Commandos Strike at Dawn, a quiet, deeply felt movie with an excellent cast including Paul Muni, Anna Lee (these two had a lot of chemistry), Ann Carter and Lillian Gish, still striking at the age of fifty, Robert Coote, Louis Jean Heydt, Cedric Hardwicke, Barbara Everest, Rosemary de Camp, Alexander Knox, George Macready, Rod Cameron, Ray Collins and Elizabeth Fraser -it's crazy the number of good actors here! Directed by John Farrow. It has been on TCM before though, so I am sure it will pop up again sometime. Muni is excellent in one of his more internal performances.

I am absolutely devastated that I missed One of Our Aircraft is Missing. This was the first Powell Pressburger film I saw and I always remembered it's mix of suspense and humor fondly. I didn't know anything about P&P at the time, but it struck me as a highly unusual movie, one that was right up my alley. It was the incentive for me to start looking up P&P and learning everything I could about them. I don't think I've seen it since.
Jezebel38

Post by Jezebel38 »

[quote="JackFavell"]
I am absolutely devastated that I missed One of Our Aircraft is Missing. /quote]

For those (like myself) who do not mind watching movies on Youtube, OOOAIM has been posted in full by no less than 3 people. I just watched it a few weeks ago; this being the last of the major P&P films I had not yet seen. I was more than impressed with this film, I think it is almost as good as 49th Parallel - enjoyed seeing Hugh Williams in a lead role.

It would have been great to record this off of TCM, but alas, I have had to give up my cable for financial reasons. Was paying Comcast (boo, hiss) about $90.00 a month for the special digital tier just so I could get TCM. I will be scouring Youtube for rare and unavailable titles - they can be found, I have a list of about 15 titles to watch there - and I also expect to look into Classicflix.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Thanks for the info, Jezebel!

I am so sorry about your cable situation. I could never get TCM at all, it wasn't offered by Comcast here, even on the higher payment tiers. Then a small independent cable company started up in my area. I waited 2 years for them to start offering their service in my town, but now I have TCM. And Comcast also now offers it.

Thank goodness you can get a lot of these movies on youtube and on dvd or rentals. I think Classicflix is supposed to be good.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I like both "The Cruel Sea" and "Decision Before Dawn."

"The Cruel Sea" is terrific. It presents war as a long slog. Nature and boredom are enemies as well as "the enemy." That is something you don't usually see in war movies.

"Decision Before Dawn" is a very underrated film. Does anyone know how it was received on its first release? (Keep your eyes peeled for a brief sighting of Klaus Kinski, a very young Klaus Kinski.) I mean, if some people were upset by "The Desert Fox," this one would probably upset them as well.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

MikeBSG wrote:I like both "The Cruel Sea" and "Decision Before Dawn."

"The Cruel Sea" is terrific. It presents war as a long slog. Nature and boredom are enemies as well as "the enemy." That is something you don't usually see in war movies.

"Decision Before Dawn" is a very underrated film. Does anyone know how it was received on its first release? (Keep your eyes peeled for a brief sighting of Klaus Kinski, a very young Klaus Kinski.) I mean, if some people were upset by "The Desert Fox," this one would probably upset them as well.
Same here ... I completely enjoyed both films ... and what Mike said here ... I share the same sediments too.
CineMaven

Coming Up on TCM - GET SIRKED!

Post by CineMaven »

Okay, finish up that house work, or homework or business plan. Put down that book...that article...those pix. Finish up dinner, and darning those socks, and writing. Turn off MSNBC for a little while and forget politics. Put the kids to bed...or hell, wake 'em up!!! At 10:30 tonite, (Thursday) make a date to get sirked...Douglas Sirk. Yes you've seen it before...but how can you resist being:

"WRITTEN ON THE WIND."

ImageImageImageImage

So many great lines, so many pregnant pauses, so much glass shattered and whiskey in your face and Mambo lessons. Come on SSO-ers...

. . . It's the stuff movies are made of.

*(Uhmmmm...you can define "stuff" your OWN way!)
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Yes! Let's all just get "SIRKED" up. The fashions, the cars, the unending subtexts....yes, yes......It's WRITTEN ON THE WIND.....
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

kingrat wrote:Mr. Arkadin, if you still have a VCR--Moira always asks if I have Nehru jackets and platform shoes, too--I'll be happy to make you a copy of the tape, which also has Decision Before Dawn. So far I've watched the first half hour of The Cruel Sea, and both the tape and the print shown by TCM seem to be fine.
Yep, I still have a couple of VCR's. I'll send you a PM, and thanks.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I can't wait for Written on the Wind! Pedal pushers and intense color.

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

And that's just the women.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."