Noir Films

JackFavell

Re: Noir Films

Post by JackFavell »

Gee, I thought Jane Greer was quite beautiful in this one, even though she got the bum role. And she did a great job with it.

But maybe it's the persona in Out of the Past which is so attractive. She's so elusive.

And maybe the hair, a little bit. :D
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I used to be frightened of Diana Dors when I was little, I think there was a film called The Amazing Mr Blundell, I can't remember anything else about it apart from Diana Dors was scary. I also remember her being quite big on TV AM when it first launched and being weighed every week, apart from that she's not in my living memory. She's in A Kid With Two Farthings along with Celia Johnson, I agree with what you say about actress, she was very good as well as being a bombshell, I'll look out for Man Bait. I watched The Burglar the other day, my first Jayne Mansfield picture and I thought she was so good, so different from perceptions I had of her.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Diana can be VERY scary...such as when she played an evil witch in an episode of "Thriller" (1975). I saw her name in the cast and decided to watch. I watched and waited, but no Diana! Then it suddenly dawned on me, that evil looking creature playing the nurse was her!! Yikes, what a far cry from being any kind of man bait. :D It's on YouTube, but not for the faint of heart.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
charliechaplinfan

This kicked off a big discussion between my husband and me last night about Diana Dors, the sex symbol was before our time and we both remember her either as a TV personality, Celebrity Squares etc or playing someone frightening. The sex symbol from A Kid For Two Farthings is almost a different creature.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Last edited by CineMaven on June 23rd, 2012, 10:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
charliechaplinfan

I do know Out of the Past but it's called Build Your Gallows High here. If ever there was a girl in search of an education it's me, I'll watch Detour and report back :D
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

If DETOUR ain't Noir, then there is no Noir.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
charliechaplinfan

What a nasty piece of work Vera was, I didn't care for her at all but I did care for the movie, thanks Theresa for providing the link. I agree with the assessment, if this isn't noir, I don't know what is. Do we presume that Haskell died of natural causes or did I miss something, our house today being the house for all the nieghbourhood kids to be in. I've made cookies with them, I've fed them all, given them drinks, tidied up after them but I still needed to be disturbed 10 times during the movie. I do like road movies, I liked our unfortunate hero, what a nifty piece of writing.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Do we presume that Haskell died of natural causes or did I miss something

It depends. If you believe Al's story, then Haskell simply died while they were driving along of natural causes. But as some on this website have intimated, Al's narration may not be reliable.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u]charliechaplinfan[/u] wrote:What a nasty piece of work Vera was, I didn't care for her at all but I did care for the movie, thanks Theresa for providing the link. I agree with the assessment, if this isn't noir, I don't know what is. Do we presume that Haskell died of natural causes or did I miss something, our house today being the house for all the nieghbourhood kids to be in. I've made cookies with them, I've fed them all, given them drinks, tidied up after them but I still needed to be disturbed 10 times during the movie. I do like road movies, I liked our unfortunate hero, what a nifty piece of writing.
I'm so glad you enjoyed "DETOUR." Spare and tight. As for being disturbed ten times...wow!

charliechaplinfan

Ten times is usual if the kids are around. Since when was my house the one everyone visits. Is it the homebaking? I think so.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Since when was my house the one everyone visits. Is it the homebaking?
The baking is phenomenal, I'm sure, but the more likely reason is:

(a) That's life. Whichever way you turn, Fate sticks out a foot to trip you.

or

(b) Fate, or some mysterious force, can put the finger on you or me for no good reason at all.

or

(c) Both.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u]charliechaplinfan[/u] wrote:Ten times is usual if the kids are around. Since when was my house the one everyone visits. Is it the homebaking? I think so.
Homebaking? Uhmmmm...when may I fly over to England?

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I'm so glad you enjoyed "DETOUR." Spare and tight.

The ultimate No Budget Noir. A quiet classic I can't enough of.