WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by movieman1957 »

I agree that "Springfield Rifle" looked better than it was as a film. It's been awhile but I remember being disappointed too. It at least had an interesting idea but they didn't quite pull it off.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Get the bloody, bleeding hell out of here! Patty McCormick as Pat Nixon? I did not know this. Do they spank her in the curtain call?

The adorable Fess Parker in SPRINGFIELD RIFLE? I'd forgotten that. Ol' Fess was not a first rate actor. But he was Ol' Fess. A more pleasant personality I've never seen. I'm kind of a closet fan. Barrymore? Olivier? Gotta hand it to them. But I'll watch Fess Parker in just about anything!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I watched a suspense filled and surprisingly enjoyable movie, I say enjoyable because the title The Atomic City did not enthral me but within minutes I was hooked in a good old kidnap/spy and cop drama. I wasn't expecting some of the action, the survaillance of the suspect made me laugh, their were that many cops and cars everywhere trailing this guy it that surely the cover must have been blown. It keeps up a really good pace, ends up in some beautiful landscape and the little kidnapped boy is adorable.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

ATOMIC CITY is a delight! Small scale and simple, direct and exciting. The characters so precisely drawn you can't help but love the good guys and despise the villains. A no name cast, save Gene Barry. And really, how established was he in 1952? This is yet another quiet, low budget, no nonsense thriller that delivers like your favorite pizza place on a Saturday night! Well worth the time.
charliechaplinfan

Don't you just love it when you find a little gem of a movie like Atomic City. I wonder how many more are out there.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

RedRiver wrote:ATOMIC CITY is a delight! Small scale and simple, direct and exciting. The characters so precisely drawn you can't help but love the good guys and despise the villains. A no name cast, save Gene Barry. And really, how established was he in 1952? This is yet another quiet, low budget, no nonsense thriller that delivers like your favorite pizza place on a Saturday night! Well worth the time.
charliechaplinfan wrote:Don't you just love it when you find a little gem of a movie like Atomic City. I wonder how many more are out there.
When, was this movie was on ... what station? ... I would love to see this film!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

<< ( SIGH! )) >>
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

When, was this movie was on ... what station?

I'm afraid I can't answer that, KingMe. I haven't seen this pleasant little yarn in 30 years!

I wonder how many more are out there.

Oh, so many. Even the video I watched yesterday was OK. Ms. Hedy Lamarr, no less, in DISHONORED LADY. This one's no classic. It's a patched together show, almost like an afterthought. "Hey you! Write us a story." But it's dramatic, intriguing. Charming in its glaring lack of production values. I kind of liked it!
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

This morning I watched a delightful little film called The Friends of Mr. Sweeney from 1934 starring Charles Ruggles and Ann Dvorak. I had recorded it back in August on Ann Dvorak's Summer Under the Stars day. Ruggles plays an editorial writer for a small conservative paper, Asaph Holliday, and Dvorak is his secretary, Beulah. Ruggles is meek and clueless that Dvorak fancies him. He gets a telegram that his old college friend, Rixey (played by Eugene Pallette), will be in town. It turns out that in college Asaph was known as "Ace" and was a mischief maker and star quarterback. Ace, Rixey, and Beulah go out on the town to a private club where they gain admittance by saying that they are "friends of Mr. Sweeney." Thrown into the mix is a corrupt politician running for governor, Ace's adulterous boss, a band of thieves, an obnoxious Russian, and what seems like 40 fire engines! I laughed out loud several times at this little 70 minute gem.

Anyone else seen it?

Sandy K
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I think I recorded it and promptly forgot about it. I'll have to go look! I adore Charlie Ruggles and Eugene Pallette. I love little movies like this one.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Yay, Sandy! I got it! Thanks for the recommendation. I'll try to watch it sometime today.
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

I hope you enjoy it, Jacky! I just love Charles Ruggles! His dimples! Adorable.

Sandy K
charliechaplinfan

kingme wrote:
RedRiver wrote:ATOMIC CITY is a delight! Small scale and simple, direct and exciting. The characters so precisely drawn you can't help but love the good guys and despise the villains. A no name cast, save Gene Barry. And really, how established was he in 1952? This is yet another quiet, low budget, no nonsense thriller that delivers like your favorite pizza place on a Saturday night! Well worth the time.
charliechaplinfan wrote:Don't you just love it when you find a little gem of a movie like Atomic City. I wonder how many more are out there.
When, was this movie was on ... what station? ... I would love to see this film!
I don't know Kingme, some one kindly sent me a copy, sadly he's not a member of this board. I think he has had the film for a while and was anxious for me to see it.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[b][u]sandykaypax[/u][/b] wrote:This morning I watched a delightful little film called The Friends of Mr. Sweeney from 1934 starring Charles Ruggles and Ann Dvorak. I had recorded it back in August on Ann Dvorak's Summer Under the Stars day. Ruggles plays an editorial writer for a small conservative paper, Asaph Holliday, and Dvorak is his secretary, Beulah. Ruggles is meek and clueless that Dvorak fancies him. He gets a telegram that his old college friend, Rixey (played by Eugene Pallette), will be in town. It turns out that in college Asaph was known as "Ace" and was a mischief maker and star quarterback. Ace, Rixey, and Beulah go out on the town to a private club where they gain admittance by saying that they are "friends of Mr. Sweeney." Thrown into the mix is a corrupt politician running for governor, Ace's adulterous boss, a band of thieves, an obnoxious Russian, and what seems like 40 fire engines! I laughed out loud several times at this little 70 minute gem. Anyone else seen it?

Sandy K
I saw it Sandy. It was a cute comedy, Charlie is a cutie with those dimples and Pallette a big blowhard. It was interesting to see Dvorak play just "the girl" after seeing her stunning performance in "Three On A Match."
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I watched it last night, and really enjoyed all the breezy fun, especially seeing Charlie fluster around. He and Pallette are great, they really take their time with their reactions, which is so important in these comedies. I especially liked the little touches, like when Dvorak is massaging Charlie's head and gives it a little twist. I haven't quite gotten to the end yet, I fell asleep after Ruggles is taken to the nightclub's office to pay for their incredibly expensive gambling debts. He cuts the cards for what he thinks is 30 dollars, but in reality is $30,000! I am dying to find out what the deal is with Mr. Sweeney, and how these harmless fellows will get out of the deepening mess they are in. I really want Charlie to tell his boss, Mr. Brumbaugh to go to the devil.