WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
CineMaven

Re: WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by CineMaven »

I'll echo what Red says Allison. "Seven Days in May" is where you can see (good) Kirk / (bad) Burt. Lizabeth Scott...a noir babe. She's a type.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I love Seven Days in May ... a gripping movie and one of my favorites ...
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

THE ANATOMY OF A TATTERED DRESS

Image Image

I've been watching "THE TATTERED DRESS" ( 1957 ) and I've found a bunch of similarities between this film and "ANATOMY OF A MURDER" ( 1959 ). Not an exact replicant of plot, mind you, but pretty similar.

THE HOT SHOT NEW YORK LAWYER:

ImageImage
Cocksure and never loses.

THE ATOMIC BOMBSHELL VICTIM:

Image Image
These gals give their husband sleepless nights...in more ways than one. Wouldn't you if you looked like that? Can't help it, the girl can't help it.

THE JEALOUS HUSBAND:

Image Image
They protect what's theirs...even if they can't hold her. Just why IS she seeking other men, hmmmm?? Not enough, uhhh...V.A.benefits?

FRIEND AND PROTECTOR OF THE MURDER VICTIM:

ImageImage
They live vicariously through their misguided friendship. What IS behind that?

THE FAITHFUL WIFE(Y):

ImageImage
She can't quit him...even if she wants to. (Arden is faithful to Jimmy Stewart, who in this case is not a hotshot NY lawyer).

THE TRUE FRIEND & LOYAL SIDEKICK:

ImageImage
Whether a defendant or soused, he's a pal 'till the end. They don't make sidekicks like these guys anymore.

THE SURPRISE WITNESS:

ImageImage
Oh boy oh boy, can she bust the case WIDE OPEN!! Just what lies beneath the Brunette?

...AND THAT DAMNING PIECE OF EVIDENCE[/U]:

Whether on a clothes line (panty raid) or on the victim...what's the dead man doing with 'em?!

And now, members of the jury, I give you..."THE TATTERED DRESS."

[youtube][/youtube]

charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I'll have to look out for Seven Days in May. Meanwhile I've been revisiting a favourite, Letter From An Unknown Woman this is what I typed up earlier on.

My biggest memory of the film, apart from the characters and plotline is the visuals, they are so important in setting the scene and key in some of the scenes, remember the travelling scene? The atomosphere too, misty, unclear, as if people see different things or they are not quite as they seem. So viewing it the second time I had a real feeling of anticipation, I hoped this wouldn’t be a film that loses it’s initial gloss and appeal on second sitting. I needn’t have worried, I enjoyed it just as much the second time. So much has been written by others, these are some extra thoughts. Firstly on Joan Fontaine, she really does capture the ‘girl’ that is inside a woman, she can change from adolescent to beauty with a little more grooming, it’s all in her gestures, she’s as enjoyable her as in the Constant Nymph and like in Nymph she is a muse and critique of music albeit not as an obvious one. She’s also exquisite with my two favourite Frenchmen.

‘You may be able to help me so much someday’ it holds so much promise, as a lot of things Stefan says seem to hold and that night of romance holds so much, it’s her dream, a dream she’s willing to sacrifice everything for only to be cut down by his words in her second visit to his apartment. What do we think? Why doesn’t he recognise her? Outside the theatre he looks drunk or drugged, listless and yearning. He wants something real in these moments, then it goes. Why can’t he remember? Was she just another girl? Or was he in another world that time he was with her? Yet something happened, his music faded, did he search for her at all? She knew him better than he did himself and he got caught up somewhere else. She’s have had him whatever and wherever but he never appreciated what he could have had.

My very first thought on watching was it was so important that Stefan misses his duel. We know the ending, a similarity with Madame De. I saw loads, the obvious Lisa/Madame De, the two military husbands and the two lovers, another triangle, not solved. I do have the documentary that accompanies this movie, I’m hoping it will shed more light on this angle.

A couple of fun thoughts. Never in my life have I seen anyone running for a train yet it frequently happens in films. As a mother I could never sacrifice my child for any love as it frequently happens in books and films yet Opuls makes it a noble sacrifice. He’s quite a guy.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Last night I watched A WOMAN'S FACE, the American version. Joan Crawford (who else?) in a George Cukor vehicle. Joan plays a disfigured blackmailer, succesfully treated by Dr. Melvin Douglas. The newly beautiful, but still dishonest, woman plots with Conrad Veidt to kill his young nephew. The kid stands in the way of Veidt's inheritance. This film comes and goes. Story, character, blah-blah-blah. Not too thrilling. But scenes in which murder is attempted, on a ski lift or a runaway sleigh, are spellbinding.

This is not one of the great Joan-o-dramas. But the good parts very much outshine the mediocre. You can hardly go wrong with Mommy Dearest. A courageous performer who took risk after risk in her impressive career. The risks almost always paid off.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

THE DRESS IS TATTERED...AND SPOILED!!!

THE SPECTACULAR ELAINE STEWART.

I was ready for a rip-roaring-tawdry-technicolored B-movie good time especially with the promise of Elaine Stewart's dress being ripped right underneath the movie's opening credits.

But what I got was a good solid very frank drama from 1957 called "THE TATTERED DRESS." Iron man JEFF CHANDLER stars as cocksure, hotshot New York lawyer James Gordon Blaine. He drinks, he gambles and he goes to bed with women other than his wife, which also includes his client, played by the spectacularly tattered ELAINE STEWART. It might be unethical, but it sure makes him red-blooded and interesting. Ha...he's all the things Perry Mason is not, unless you know something I don't know about Perry and Della.

He wins his cases too. Chandler's strong and gorgeously chiseled physiognomy is worthy of Mount Rushmore and he uses his big booming voice to good (and admittedly, sometimes overblown) effect.

And he walks a little like John Wayne. Chandler's Blaine is the lawyer you hire...when you are guilty.

I really liked GEORGE TOBIAS and EDWARD PLATT in this film. (Uh..."Mr. Kravitz" and "The Chief" to you denizens of TVLand, or old Baby Boomers like myself). Tobias often played these whacked out ethnic characters in films and I think here is the first time I'm seeing him close to how I imagine his real personality was. He could do serious drama. He was nice and calming. Both Tobias and Platt are great character actors, very natural and serve as a sort of rah-rah cheering section / Greek chorus, respectively, for Chandler.

One of my favorite actresses is JEANNE CRAIN and she plays the supportive wife of Chandler. No, she doesn't have much to do dramatically other than stand-by-her-man. But fellas, this is the girl you want in your corner. She's always such a positive steadying presence in films, in that clean sexy wholesome way.

The Witness who accuses the New York lawyer of bribing her is none other than GAIL RUSSELL. Her life was to come to a sad and tragic end in four years at age 36, and you can see the effects alcohol has had on her once hauntingly beautiful looks. But she does a grand job here as the witness. She withstands a grueling and blistering cross-examination by Chandler and goes toe-to-toe with him, as we see her stress mount question by question. "The Tattered Dress" is about two movies away from the end of her career and the end of her life, but I can still see she's got It. Dear sweet Gail.

But let me get down to brass tacks...it's JACK CARSON's show all the way. Carson plays the town sheriff. And as power does...power corrupts, absolutely. Yes Miss G., he's MacBeth...and also Machiavelli all rolled up in one hail fellow well met. He's jovial and menacing; threatening and sympathetic. When on the witness stand a second time, he talks of how he considers Chandler a friend; even kind of intimates that he knows he's holding onto his glory days as a collegiate grid iron star long past its expiration date. Sniff! But he's a back stabbing snake in the grass...and convincing at it too. He's pulling the strings and won't stop at lying, cheating, beating or murder.

I love this film. I don't remember when I saw it the first time. But I haven't seen it in years and years, so the details were just a tad sketchy as I watched it the other nite. In this viewing I was kinda shocked at a coupla things...the frank questioning Chandler gives to his clients, the open marriage of the Restons (Elaine Stewart & Philip Reed):

Chandler: "Mrs. Reston, are you a faithful wife?"

Stewart: "In my fashion."

...And Stewart's openly flirting with Chandler:

Stewart: "I heard you separated from your wife."

Chandler: "How does that concern you?"

Stewart: "You interest me."

Chandler: "That's the reason why my wife left me. I interest other women."

I laughed when she dove into her pool and swam toward and through the under water tunnel to her house to meet Chandler. It looked like she was swimming up the Fallopian tube. I really was aghast when Gail Russell answers her door in her negligee and we cut to Jack Carson buttoning up his shirt and in the background the bedsheets are all disheveled. HUH?! WHA'?? What year is this? :shock:

Ross Hunter? Nah, I'd have to say not for me. Ross is really overblown, with lurid color and that schmaltzy music....heavy piano chords. I found "The Tattered Dress" to be more..."Youngblood Hawke." Whether it was "Madame X" or "Where Love Has Gone" or not...I eat it all up. With both hands.

I think everyone should try on..."The Tattered Dress."

Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I have seen the Tattered Dress about two years ago and its a great movie ... and I'm an Elaine Stewart fan too.

Here is my only picture of her in a swimsuit!

She adorable in this photo!
Attachments
A Young Elaine Stewart in a Swimsuit
A Young Elaine Stewart in a Swimsuit
Elaine Stewart.jpg (66.3 KiB) Viewed 4112 times
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Yours, Mine, and Ours - 1968 Family Film Classic

I just saw the original "Yours, Mine, and Ours" starring Lucille Ball and Henry Fonda and this version is vastly better than the Dennis Quaid and Rene Russo that came out in 2005. The 1968 version is more realistic, more love, and better acted than the the remake that came out in 2005. But, anyway ... I just love watching these movies that came out in Sixties and being a by-product of that decade makes me feel good about being entertained by stars like Ball and Fonda. Van Johnson, Tom Bosley, and Walter Brooke had great supporting roles and I was surprised seeing young Ben Murphy in this movie. It's a wonderful comedy with touch of love, humor, and unexpected surprises of which the couple having their nineteenth child coming in play making this film a delightful family film to watch!

Man, I missed these films :!:
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Red- I have really started respecting Joan Crawford lately. A Woman's Face is the movie that made me look again at her acting, not just her image. Time and again, in movie after movie, she ends up making me like her acting. I've now seen quite a few of her movies since the day a year or so ago that I decided to go back and re-examine her work, and with the exception of Torch Song, I thought she was smashing in every one. There's a reason she was a big star, she worked at becoming a good actress, and she made it as far as I am concerned.

I actually wish she would have retained the scar - she is so damned good at bitter that I miss it when she gets pretty. My favorite part is the beginning, with weird Ona Massen, and the way Veidt spellbinds her. She and Veidt had great chemistry, and I know she was thrilled to get to work with him - I think she felt she should work all the harder to be at the same caliber as he.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

YOO-HOO! OVA HEYAH!!

Say Wendy, please name these actresses for me. Thanx.

1.Image
2.Image
3.Image
4Image
5Image

One clue is here:
[b][u]JackFavell[/u][/b] wrote:...I actually wish she would have retained the scar - she is so damned good at bitter that I miss it when she gets pretty. My favorite part is the beginning, with weird Ona Massen, and the way Veidt spellbinds her. She and Veidt had great chemistry, and I know she was thrilled to get to work with him - I think she felt she should work all the harder to be at the same caliber as he.

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Sorry! Osa Massen!! Geez, and that really was a brain-dead typo, as I know the actress well. I didn't even realize I had written Ona!

1. ____________
2. Illona Massey
3. Osa Massen
4. Ona Munson
5. Is that Virginia Christine? AKA MRS. OLSEN??? Hahahahahaha!
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

Suicide Fleet (1931)

Baltimore Clark (Bill Boyd)

Dutch Herman( Robert Armstrong)

Skeets O`Riley (James Gleeson) are stallholders at Coney Island. All are vying for the affections of another stallholder, Sally (Ginger Rogers). Dutch and Skeets are intent on coming between Baltimore and Sally.

War is declared and all three join the navy. Because Baltimore was a former CPO he enlisted with rank, and they are assigned to duty on a destroyer. They are suspicious of a Norwegian sailing ship which scuttles itself rather than being boarded for inspection.

Another sailing ship, a twin of the sunken vessel is owned by the US Navy. Because of his experience in sailing ships Baltimore is made captain. He traps 3 German submarines which are all sunk. The three end up back at Coney Island, Bill and Sally are reunited.

This was Bill (William) Boyd`s sixtieth movie appearance having made his debut in 1921 at age 26, and his fifteenth starring role.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

4 out of 5. Not bad, Wendy. Not bad at all. The first actress is one of my absolute favorite character actresses: 1. ANN DORAN

Now, I can't get you a square cut Siberian Amethyst ring as a prize. But I'll think of something. And I did just want to jog your memory with the Osa / Ona thing. Thanxx for playing along. :-) Now, some mead for EVERYONE!!!

By the by...who IS that handsome pensive avatar you have as your i.d.?

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh of course! She looked so familiar, but I got stuck in that Osa Ona name thing.

My brooding, handsome avatar is the dashing Raoul Walsh. I'd have loved to sit at his feet and listened to his stories.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

What? Whoa. I've got to start knowing my directors better. I can understand what you say..."sitting at his feet and listening to his stories." I read what you quoted him saying about Gloria Swanson:
My dear Gloria, My trip for the festival was worthwhile, just to see you again. My quip I made at the luncheon about you finding the fountain of youth is all too true.

Your lips, your eyes, your hair have been with me for these many years. To me, I can see my lovely Gloria. I will always remember her as a new phenomenon like some April evening, the downy breast of spring. She was like a rippling brook, singing among willows where kingfishers skim.

But now, the sun is going to rest. I can hear the wild ducks flying overhead, and the mountains were drawing themselves off to sleep, and at night fall would be the singing of the crickets. Somewhere, a Mexican is playing a guitar, and somewhere else a dog barked into the stillness of the night. A queer, eerie sound.

Goodnight, my dear one.
Utterly romantic. A man who could do "White Heat" could write like that. < Sigh! >
Last edited by CineMaven on November 30th, 2011, 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.