'Round the World Weather Report

Chit-chat, current events
knitwit45

Re: 'Round the World Weather Report

Post by knitwit45 »

JackFavell wrote:Never RUN in a hailstorm. I got caught in one in college and we made the mistake of running to get home. BOY does that hurt!

yeeeeeeouch!!! :shock:
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

We had something very like hail for a minute or two yesterday evening, but it changed to that cold rain with the the big sloppy drops.

One of the scariest experiences I ever had was witnessing a Texas hailstorm (I was actually in Texas at the time). I never saw anything like it. The hail was so big, it looked like cold, evil rabbits falling from the sky.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I think there is the basis for a great horror film in that description....
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

jdb1 wrote:We had something very like hail for a minute or two yesterday evening, but it changed to that cold rain with the the big sloppy drops.

One of the scariest experiences I ever had was witnessing a Texas hailstorm (I was actually in Texas at the time). I never saw anything like it. The hail was so big, it looked like cold, evil rabbits falling from the sky.
JackFavell wrote:I think there is the basis for a great horror film in that description....
Wasn't it called Night of the Lepus? I think it was set in the Southwest too.

Ohh, those Killer Bunnies from HAIL!!
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I have one in my house. She's not cold but evil is still under consideration. Of course, the fact that my bride and daughter claim I told her she could have the rabbit when I didn't has absolutely nothing to do with whether there is an evil rabbit living in my house. Nothing - really.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
klondike

Post by klondike »

I love rabbits.
I recommend, after jointing them roughly, oven-simmer 'em real slow, then surround with roasted Yellow Finns, grilled ramps & mushrooms, and smother all late in a warm cream gravy . . yup, pretty hard to beat!
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Hey, that reminds me - isn't it time for the Finnie Bunnies ????
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Klondike - What's a ramp?

movieman - I am in the same situation.... my daughter recently got a hamster. Now she wants a bunny, which I DO NOT want to get her, but my husband keeps taking her to the pet store to look at them, so I am being outflanked. I told her she could not have the bunny while we have the hamster.... I fear now for the hamster's life.....
klondike

Post by klondike »

JackFavell wrote:Klondike - What's a ramp?
A wild onion, of the genus: delicious! . . sort of Appalachian haute cuisine. :wink:
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Ramps are what Rapunzel's pregnant mother was craving. So she sent her husband to gather some growing on the neighbor witch's property, thereby incurring the wrath of said witch, who demanded a tribute for the trespass. In true fairy tale style, the tribute exacted was possession of the baby, whom the witch named Rapunzel ( = "ramp") and locked up in a tower, and thereby hangs a tale.

Man, those ramps are powerful stuff.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Ah, ramps.... And about to be in season.

In Chicago, it can be difficult to buy them, even in the high-end stores. The higher-end restaurants showcase them when available.

Check'em out: http://rampfarm.com/
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
klondike

Post by klondike »

ChiO wrote:Ah, ramps.... And about to be in season.
In Chicago, it can be difficult to buy them, even in the high-end stores. The higher-end restaurants showcase them when available.
To quote Jackie Gleason from Smoky & the Bandit:
What is this world comin' to?

Pregnant men, phones takin' pictures & ramps being sold in stores!
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

They are beautiful..blue green with a little red tinge at the base of the stem.... I bet they are easy to grow. Are they closer in flavor to a leek or a green onion? Do you cook them, or eat them raw? I don't know why I am asking, since onions give me immediate migraines. It's a shame....
klondike

Post by klondike »

JackFavell wrote:They are beautiful..blue green with a little red tinge at the base of the stem.... I bet they are easy to grow.
Are they closer in flavor to a leek or a green onion?

Neither, really, being bolder than either in different ways (Yankees call "green onions" scallions).
JackFavell wrote: Do you cook them, or eat them raw?
Either, with different results.
JackFavell wrote: I don't know why I am asking, since onions give me immediate migraines. It's a shame....
You should give ramps a try, regardless - might be they won't bother you!
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Ooh - great reference to Rapunzel. (Great memory)
I love the old fairy tales - so evil. No wonder I had nightmares as a kid.
B
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

Last edited by Professional Tourist on January 9th, 2011, 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.