Billy Wilder

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
JackFavell

Re: Billy Wilder

Post by JackFavell »

What a great post, king!

I love what you said about his opening up genres.....and you are right, the dramas work on all levels without fail.

Five Graves to Cairo
The Lost Weekend
Double Indemnity
Sunset Boulevard
Ace in the Hole
Stalag 17
The Spirit of St. Louis
Witness for the Prosecution
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

A friend tells my daughter Maureen that she reminds him of a young Shirley MacLaine. Mo only knows her from "Steel Magnolias." The bride tells her she should really see "The Apartment." So I pull out my TCM broadcast of it and we spend the next two hours watching Mr. Baxter and Miss Kubelik trying to get together.

Mo laughs in all the right places, sighs in all the right places and asks questions about 1960 in all the right places. Pointing out the "calculator" on Baxter's desk brought an especially fine reaction. Was that an interracial kiss at the Christmas Party? It is hard to tell but the woman sure looked African-American.

But at the end it was nice when she turned around and said "Thanks for watching it with me." As if I could have refused.

Well, maybe not that close.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I can see a resemblance, Chris, especially with Shirley in the Apartment. Her hair was quite dark, and in the same kind of haircut as Mo's.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I see it too! That's a wonderful story. I'm glad she "got" it. It's one of my favorite movies and Shirley is especially good in it.

I never noticed the inter-racial couple! And I've seen the movie about 100 times!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

The funny thing is that originally we found "Born Yesterday" and Mo commented on how much she liked the movie and Judy Holliday. She wanted to see more of her. Then she mentioned what our friend said and that changed the evening.
Chris

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I love Born Yesterday too.

especially Judy Holliday's rendition of I Can't Give You Anything But Love. I sometimes hum it with all the extras when I'm doing dishes.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

When The Bride and I yell for each other we follow the "Born Yesterday" pattern. Any call must be answered by "WHAAAAAT?" and always with a NY accent.
Chris

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

haha! Yes!