Robert Taylor: Star of the Month

Discussion of programming on TCM.
JackFavell

Re: Robert Taylor: Star of the Month

Post by JackFavell »

I never knew that, ChiO! I new about WGN + Worlds greatest Newspaper but not about WLS radio = World's Largest Store.

I used to listen to Bob Sirott(sp) in the afternoons..... he had a really great voice, and I pictured him looking like a brunette Robert Redford until once I saw him on TV. He had red hair and freckles.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Until 1980, or so, the Chicago Tribune had, along its right front page the slogan " An American Newspapers for Americans " ! Bob Sirott was until about a year ago the news anchor for for TC -5. A contract dispute ended in his release.His brother Jed is #3 in the Cubs radio booth on WGN radio.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Thank you all for that fine commercial break, now back to regular programming of
Robert Taylor: Star of the Month.

I don't know of course, how many of Bob's films I actually saw, but I was greatly surprised that I liked most of them. I really preferred him as a cowboy, which reverses my original ideas about him. Whatever western movie I saw him in previously, left a bad taste in my mouth for him as a cowboy. I wish I could recall which movie it was. I didn't like him in the gangster types he did, but that is a tribute to his acting ability, because he became a ruthless punk, and he also makes a pretty fair sociopath, as in Undercurrent. I don't think he could handle comedy very well, his face itself, is too serious looking. As he aged, he never really lost that handsome image but his looks did become a little more craggy, i.e. the lines in his cheeks seemed to grow deeper, and his forehead appeared continuously creased with worry lines.

In any case, this was a good star of the month for me because I discovered a star who had been hidden from me for a lot of years, and I think I have missed quite a bit of good entertainment.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

ChiO wrote:
I looked up the Chicago-based station online and learned it stands for "World's Greatest Network" because it is/was owned by the Chicago Tribune.
Was that on WGN's website, MissG? Actually WGN (so I always understood) stood for "World's Greatest Newspaper" because it was started by the Tribune. There are two WGNs in our satellite package -- one is the local WGN and the other, with slightly different programming, is what I assume to be the WGN for national consumption.

No, it was on "Wiki" so they were probably wrong.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers