James Mason

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
charliechaplinfan

Re: James Mason

Post by charliechaplinfan »

It probably wouldn't have passed the censor if told truthfully.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
charliechaplinfan

kingme wrote:The Desert Fox 1951 War Classic

I just watched "The Desert Fox" on Fox Movie Classics starring James Mason and Jessica Tandy.

This movie really shows the in-depth analysis of the mystique of Field Marshal Rommel during World War II. Although, its was done in audio-biographical/documentary/chronological format that I like. James Mason did a powerful job showcasing Nazi Germany's greatest general in World War II. I know that I wrote about this movie on this thread before ... but, I enjoyed watching again today because I love the acting skills of James Mason so much. He commands a presence on the screen that I just can't describe it because their isn't a proper word in the English Dictionary that I can use period.

Jessica Tandy did a great job as Lucie - Rommel's wife in this movie & I find her performance equally as good as James Mason too. I'm a fan of her too. She is one of my sentimental favorites as well. I love her in Driving Miss Daisy, batteries not included, Cocoon, and a dozen others movies as well.

I never get tired of watching this movie, never ...

I had fun watching it twice this year!
I took your advice and watched Mason in The Desert Fox and I thought it was a fine portrayal of Rommel, good casting to get Mason to portray him. The film only runs to around 90 minutes, it doesn't go into detail but supposes a certain knowledge of the events of the time which contemprorary audiences would have had. My only small criticism is that it felt British rather than German in the way it was scripted and acted but as a work of 50s cinema, it's a very good film.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

charliechaplinfan wrote: My only small criticism is that it felt British rather than German in the way it was scripted and acted but as a work of 50s cinema, it's a very good film.
Your above comments concerning that the film felt British rather German in the way is something that I wasn't even aware of until you brought it up. I did not see that! Thanks for sharing it. I'm glad you like it!
charliechaplinfan

I was fascinated by his portrayal Kingme. I've got to remember that I am viewing it some 60 years after it was made and attitudes are very different today. Now I want to see Desert Rats.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

It's nice to see some activity on this excellent message board! Let's keep it up. This seems to be a big James Mason day. Allow me to repeat what I and others have already said. What a voice. WHAT A VOICE! I assume he did some radio.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

RedRiver wrote:It's nice to see some activity on this excellent message board! Let's keep it up. This seems to be a big James Mason day. Allow me to repeat what I and others have already said. What a voice. WHAT A VOICE! I assume he did some radio.
James Mason Radio Shows - Complete Collection
http://www.originaloldradio.com/james_m ... ction.html

Red River, he did radio shows in 40's and 50's and I remember hearing some of them back in the early 1970's on one local radio station. He did quite a few shows and he was in high demand.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

charliechaplinfan wrote:I was fascinated by his portrayal Kingme. I've got to remember that I am viewing it some 60 years after it was made and attitudes are very different today. Now I want to see Desert Rats.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts ... I glad you had a good time on your vacation in Europe.
charliechaplinfan

I had a lovely time in Europe.

Did you know that James Mason is buried in the same cemetery as Charlie Chaplin. It's in Vevey, Switzerland where both men lived at the ends of their lives. There are plans to open up Charlie's Swiss home as a museum. I'm earmarking Vevey and Switzerland as a holiday destination just as soon as that museum opens, I'll have to save up as Switzerland is very expensive. I visit to the graves will be planned too, it won't be the first time my children have had to read gravestones to try to find someone from the acting fraternity. England is a good starting point for visiting Europe, we have plenty of our own to visit but somehow, for me at least, the grass in always greener abroad.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

that's really amazing, Alison, I didn't know they both ended their days there. Switzerland is by far the most beautiful place I've ever been. I would move there in a New York minute if they let just anybody in. :D
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

JackFavell wrote:that's really amazing, Alison, I didn't know they both ended their days there. Switzerland is by far the most beautiful place I've ever been. I would move there in a New York minute if they let just anybody in. :D
I will second that!

Switzerland is such a lovely country and I saw the Matterhorn up close once. Pretty Unique Mountain!
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Wendy, I'd be right behind you in line! and here is where I'd want to be.

welcome back,Alison! You've been missed. :D
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Breathtaking!