The Unjustly Neglected

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
CineMaven

FRANCES GIFFORD: UNJUSTLY NEGLECTED

Post by CineMaven »

FRANCES GIFFORD

Davis & Stanwyck. Myrna & Irene. See...I don't have to give you their first or last names. You know who I'm talking about. And they can take care of themselves. They are Stars. Their brilliance shine like beacons through the decades. And they garner new fans year after year. But there are The Others; those who are just as attractive, just as talented, but bridesmaids...just under the radar of fame’s klieg lights.

And such is the case with Frances Gifford.

I’m always pleasantly surprised when I see her in a film. (I haven’t yet memorized her filmography). The last surprise happened as I was watching some Esther Williams films featured a couple of weeks ago. I came in the middle of "THRILL OF A ROMANCE" (though I was recording it from the beginning) and there she was.

"THRILL OF A ROMANCE" Starring ESTHER WILLIAMS

I Jumped for joy when I saw her, a reaction I pretty much reserve for Theresa Harris and Margaret Lindsay. And no doubt, a pretty strong reaction you may say. Okay...I'll give you that.

Frances Gifford holds her own standing next to many of Hollywood’s leading ladies with her good looks and her talent. There’s a maturity, grace and gravitas to her that she imbues her characters with. She’s beautiful; not in a sultry Ava/Rita-way or bombshelling the heck out of our senses like Harlow or Marilyn do. Gifford has a plain unadorned beauty. She has a great voice. And that smile...

...THE PRETTIEST SMILE IN HOLLYWOOD

Gifford is featured in “MARRIAGE IS A PRIVATE AFFAIR” starring LANA TURNER. Here, Lana is at her most Lana-ish. Your eyes are on her, no doubt. She’s like kittenish cotton candy. But Gifford's quiet elegance has a pull of its own that I find affecting. I’ve seen Gifford opposite Ava Gardner and Esther Williams, and she holds her own next to Ava’s sensuality and Esther’s healthiness.

So far, I’ve seen Frances Gifford in "OUR VINES HAVE TENDER GRAPES” “CRY HAVOC” “RIDING HIGH” and "SHE WENT TO THE RACES.” No I don't have a comprehensive analysis of her performance in each of those movies and I can see you from here breathing a sigh of relief on THAT score (Tee hee!) :P But if you do want to read a great article about her, check out the Master, Moira Finnie, who writes here: http://moirasthread.blogspot.com/2010/1 ... fford.html about Gifford.

I’ve yet to see her in her hit serial "JUNGLE GIRL” but my favorite film of Frances Gifford's is "THE ARNELO AFFAIR.” She’s lovely here, all tortured longing for her distracted workaholic husband. His ( insane ) inattentiveness to her leaves room for her to come under the charm and spell of John Hodiak (who wouldn’t right ladies?) She is tremulously ready to dip her toe into the waters of infidelity. Her son in the film is played by Dean Stockwell and their relationship looks wholly believable.

"LUXURY LINER" featuring George Brent and Jane Powell

I didn't care much for "LUXURY LINER." Lots of music strung together by scenes. Jane Powell's voice is amazing.(And she's doing a fantastic job as host while Robert is away). But I watched it for Frances Gifford. She got to stand on a M-G-M soundstage. She was beautifully dressed to the nines. And again, she gives a believable accessible performance. But I must say I really enjoy her performance in "MARRIAGE IS A PRIVATE AFFAIR." I hunkered down to watch it again a couple of weeks ago, b’cuz Frances Gifford is featured in it. She plays Sissy Mortimer, married and having an affair with one of her husband’s alcoholic business partners.Yikes! Pretty daring stuff playing it so close to home. Lana Turner, the not-ready-for-prime-time-wife picks up on the affair between Gifford and Hugh Marlowe (later “married” to Celeste Holm in ”ALL ABOUT EVE”). Gifford is a bit off-hand, a tad huffy about Lana’s being judgmental about the affair. She plays the scene softly, without histrionics. (I shudder to think of Bette Davis railing against the accusations). There’s a poise about Gifford that I see from her handful of scenes. A quick quip and a beautiful smile. But there’s something more about her.

Apparently Gifford's paramour in the movie (HUGH MARLOWE) brings his new wife to the dinner party. The scene was brilliantly laid out by director Robert Z. Leonard. I was very impressed with how he allowed each character's moment to play out simultaneously as the scene progresses. You, the viewer, have many places to look: the guilty lover, the unsuspecting husband, the knowing friend, the clueless friend, and the lovestruck bride...holding on until she must let go. But the scene is Frances Gifford's and she she's up to it. She throws caution to the wind. No, not in her acting but in a very controlled way. Her character is so blinded by love, she's focused totally on her paramour to the exclusion of everyone at the dinner table. She quite unabashedly digs at him, knowing more about his habits than their friendship warrants. With each dagger of implied intimacy that Gifford lands, she looks more and more triumphant. She cannot stop herself. She stands at the precipice and dives caring not if there's water in the pool. The respective spouses do a nice subtle job of revealing their dawning discovery. I loved the actress who played Hugh Marlowe's bride, SHIRLEY PATTERSON. She was good...solid. She starts off as an outsider with that touch of ingratiation. Then she moves to subtle possessiveness of her husband by holding on to his arm as Gifford lands her blows. Then she runs when she can'ts stands no more.

And I liked Hugh Marlowe's reaction. As the daggers hit its mark, Gifford look like she's daring him to deny them. But he quietly resignedly says: "Yess, Sissy."

It's her scene all the way. Her implosion is a wonder to behold. Is Frances Gifford exciting, fiery? Well...no. Is she very different...more distinctive from any other of a dozen really good actresses of her time? I guess not. Could only reach a certain rung of the Hollywood ladder. I might not be making a very good case in defense of her unjust neglect. But she's earnest and sincere and I feel like I feel her warmth.

And I always believe her. Guess that's mostly the criteria I need.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: The Unjustly Neglected

Post by moira finnie »

Wow, CineMaven, You can write this wonderful paean to Frances Gifford, and you still haven't seen Jungle Girl, which is enormous fun? I know that there are at least a few chapters of the serial on youtube and there are pretty inexpensive copies of it on DVD. You have almost convinced me that I "need" to check out Marriage Is a Private Affair, which I've avoided up till now except for about 10 minutes, due to Lana's mewing in the lead. I do like John Hodiak, but it's just too much, but now I guess I'll have to see this one.

I must have been pretty tired last night, 'cause I liked Luxury Liner (1948) with Jane Powell's cute if naughty teenage antics (loved the "Alouette" roundelay with the kitchen staff, especially Connie Gilchrist), though I thought that George Brent needed to stay away from the buffet table (maybe it was all the white uniforms). Gifford looked very lovely in color, and her outfits (by 3 designers, Jean Louis, Helen Rose & Valles) were pretty spectacular, though did everything have to have some sequins? Did anyone wonder if Thomas Breen as Jane's young counterpart on the staff of the ship look like Marshall Thompson before vitamins?

Hey, did you know that Frances is somewhere in the crowd scenes in Stage Door (1937) (on TCM on August 6th), Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939) (on August 13th), and Bringing Up Baby (1938) (on August 21st)? I have never been able to spot her. Btw, Cry 'Havoc' (1943) is scheduled for August 24th and Our Vines Have Tender Grapes (1945) is set for September 22nd.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

What a great writeup, Maven. I really like Marriage is a Private Affair - both times I've seen it, it has captured my interest, and Frances's big scene is a doozy... Moira, it's quite a good movie.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Hi JackaaaaAaaaaay. Thanx. Her scene was a doozy. I can't say I've quite seen that scene laid out like that in movies back then. Of course, someone here can prove me wrong.

Hi there Moira. How's it going? Again, loved your write-up on FRANCES GIFFORD on your blog.

"Wow, CineMaven, You can write this wonderful paean to Frances Gifford, and you still haven't seen Jungle Girl, which is enormous fun? I know that there are at least a few chapters of the serial on youtube and there are pretty inexpensive copies of it on DVD."

I know I know Moira. Just beat me with a wet noodle. I will have to look for it. I have to make some time for that.

"You have almost convinced me that I 'need' to check out 'Marriage Is a Private Affair', which I've avoided up till now except for about 10 minutes, due to Lana's mewing in the lead. I do like John Hodiak, but it's just too much, but now I guess I'll have to see this one."

Moira, you must...absolutely MUST see "Marriage..." First of all you can get it out of the way and then never see it again. Second, you won't be disappointed in the construct of the story of how a young bride not quite ready for marriage goes through a couple of interesting changes. Third, can it hurt looking at Lana and John Hodiak. They're gorgeous. But mostly, it is worth a look for Frances Gifford. She totally pulled my attention away from Lana (especially, as I wrote, Lana at her most Lana-ish)...and there is something of depth or something that I can't quite rationally articulate about Gifford that maybe you'll see. Aw come on, give it a chance. Watch it. The check'll be in the mail.

"I must have been pretty tired last night, 'cause I liked Luxury Liner (1948) with Jane Powell's cute if naughty teenage antics (loved the "Alouette" roundelay with the kitchen staff, especially Connie Gilchrist), though I thought that George Brent needed to stay away from the buffet table (maybe it was all the white uniforms). Gifford looked very lovely in color, and her outfits (by 3 designers, Jean Louis, Helen Rose & Valles) were pretty spectacular, though did everything have to have some sequins?"

Now see, the "Alouette" roundelay set me on edge. Aaaaaah, every race, creed and color putting their spin on this jaunty little French ditty. (Ack!) But Georgie did need to stay away from the buffet. What is this movie, a precursor to the 70's "Love Boat." And then there's the father/daughter relationship, just a tad cringy for me. They're not dating...he's your DAD, Jane! I loved when one of her dorm mates she wouldn't want George for a dad. Ooh! I wonder which designer did which outfit? Sequins? Well...at least she wasn't "bedazzled."

"Did anyone wonder if Thomas Breen as Jane's young counterpart on the staff of the ship look like Marshall Thompson before vitamins?"

Yeah, good call Moira.

"Hey, did you know that Frances is somewhere in the crowd scenes in Stage Door (1937) (on TCM on August 6th), Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939) (on August 13th), and Bringing Up Baby (1938) (on August 21st)? I have never been able to spot her. Btw, Cry 'Havoc' (1943) is scheduled for August 24th and Our Vines Have Tender Grapes (1945) is set for September 22nd.

Thanxxx so much for that schedule of Frances Gifford appearances. Could she have been primping up her hair and looking in a mirror in "Stage Door"?? "Cry Havoc" gives her a nice juicy part. And a double bonus...Ella Raines is in it. Thanx again.

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

CineMaven wrote:Thanxxx so much for that schedule of Frances Gifford appearances. Could she have been primping up her hair and looking in a mirror in "Stage Door"?? "Cry Havoc" gives her a nice juicy part. And a double bonus...Ella Raines is in it. Thanx again.
I think Frances must be one of the girls at the boarding house in Stage Door and I haven't seen Cry Havoc in ages, so I'll be front and center for that one.

I love Ella Raines and think she was one of the most interesting actresses of her time, too--though she seems to be only remembered for The Phantom Lady today. I first noticed how different she was in The Strange Affair of Uncle Harry, but forgot about her until I saw Impact (1949) several years ago, which we've discussed before over on the TCM boards. She seems so modern in those '40s movies. Have you seen her in The Web (1948) which you can see beginning here? It's a middling noir with Vincent Price and Edmond O'Brien going mano y mano for her attention. Ella's a bit hard to read, but is so contemporary, she might have stepped out of an executive suite today--though today she might be the CEO, not just his right hand girl.
Raines in The Web. When O'Brien asks her for a date by inquiring, "What do you do with yourself at night?" she replies "Play marbles with the girls next door."

I also like Ella Raines' versatility, going from westerns like Tall in the Saddle (1944) and The Walking Hills (1949) as well as noirs like The Suspect and Brute Force (even though her part is tiny in the latter).
Bringing Whit Bissell to grief in Brute Force.

Here's The Suspect (1944-Robert Siodmak) with Charles Laughton and Ella Raines
[youtube][/youtube]

Brute Force (1947-Jules Dassin) seems like a macho prison flick, but the women they remember throughout the film are vivid characters too--especially Ella's discontented wife, who tempts Whit Bissell to take a wrong turn.
[youtube][/youtube]

Tall in the Saddle (1944) in which even John Wayne seems a bit intimidated by Raines:
[youtube][/youtube]

The Walking Hills (1949) with Joel McCrea, Ella Raines, John Ireland and Arthur Kennedy in an early John Sturges effort:
[youtube][/youtube]

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh my gosh, I love Ella Raines. I only discovered her last year, thanks to CineMaven!

You are right, she strikes such a contemporary note in her films that you wonder how on earth she managed it way back in 1940's. Thank you, thank you for posting The Suspect and The Walking Hills...I haven't seen those yet.
CineMaven

WHEN IT'S RAINES, IT SHINES!!!

Post by CineMaven »

ELLA RAINES. :x

Moira, you just hit the sweetest spot with me. I, too, love Ella Raines. I've often envisioned writing an article about her, but I can't really get it together. Thank you for posting all those YouTube videos featuring her. My Time Warner Cable is on the fritz and I'll be without a tv for three days. I am addicted to television so this is going to be torturous. Your YouTube citings and a treasure trove of JANE GREER dvds I just received from my "source" should assuage my addiction for a day.

Ella Raines was always so competent and sincere, and straightforward. Oh, I thought she was sexy too but just not in a va-va-va-voom way. And I liked that she wasn't too girlie girlie. (There are plenty of those, starting with Rita-Ava-Lana). Her suit jackets and straight page boy were allllright in my book. But it was her smarts, her look-you-in-the-eye that was appealing and inspiring. I could never look like Mary Beth Hughes or Virginia Mayo, but maybe I could be as smart as Ella. We had a nice little ramble over "there" back in February, about "TALL IN THE SADDLE" (http://forums.tcm.com/thread.jspa?threa ... 0&tstart=0 and scroll to Miss G's review of 2/11/11 who starts off the discussion). It is one of my favorite westerns b'cuz of Raines. (I also thought John Wayne was sexy in this movie).

Yes indeed, look at her:

ELLA RAINES

In "THE STRANGE AFFAIR OF UNCLE HARRY" she's so take charge. You and JackaaaaAaaay used the right word too: contemporary. She could have stepped right out of one of today's offices. Everyone seemed to have a niche to fill back in the 40's. Perhaps that's where FRANCES GIFFORD fell short. There was no particular "thing" associated with her. She had no "BRAND." Jackaaaaaay, thank you so much for giving me credit for your discovery of Ella Raines. I don't know that all did all that. I hope you would have discovered her on your own. She was very unique. And I am a big BIG fan.

Guess I got some YouTubin' to do. Thanx Moira.

Now, WHERE the heck are my marbles?????!!
Last edited by CineMaven on July 20th, 2011, 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

No, Maven, it was definitely your writeup on Raines that caught my attention, and I think that was long before I knew you personally. I would most likely NEVER have discovered her, she would have sailed right under my radar. Boy, am I glad you mentioned her with such respect and love, I owe you!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

THANK YOU!!! Thank you so much. I'm glad that I was able to "introduce" you to her. You've paid me back in kind with kind compliments to my writing and...well Jack LaRue. I'd never have paid attention to his "charms" if you hadn't gushed about him. ( "NO ORCHIDS...") Now I must get on the CALLEIA bandwagon. I haven't gone that far yet. But you write so eloquently about all you like, that's it's hard to resist you and your subjects. Or maybe you want to keep Joey all to yourself????

Ella's the best. I had to change the title of my post. I meant to say, "WHEN IT'S RAINES...IT SHINES!!!!!"

(Thanx again!)

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

I love Ella Raines in Tall in the Saddle, especially when she rides her horse up onto the boardwalk and blocks John Wayne's way. Heh heh. You're not supposed to do that to John Wayne! ;)

CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I like that too. I love how she rides hard, fast and lickety split into the town. Whew! I also liked when John Wayne's character introduces her to the demure young lady from the stage coach. Oh that was a nice little scene too. Subtle...spoke volumes.

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

CineMaven wrote:I like that too. I love how she rides hard, fast and lickety split into the town. Whew!
The girl's got a temper...Did anyone, even Maureen O'Hara, ever get this riled around the Duke (and even made him like it)?
[youtube][/youtube]

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Ella Raines & Veronica Lake

Raines

Lake

Ella on top and Lake on the bottom ... when I first began watching movies ... I get these two lovely ladies mixed up because I can't noticed some strikingly resemblance between these two starlets. I get confused between the two and lovely as they are & do agreed that Ella Raines is Unjustly Neglected and never really get any recognition that she's deserved. I did not know that she did a movie with John "The Duke" Wayne :!:

P.S. It's eerie to see this. They could be sisters!
Last edited by Rita Hayworth on July 21st, 2011, 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Great clip Moira. Yeah...Ella.

Rita Hayworth

Re: FRANCES GIFFORD: UNJUSTLY NEGLECTED

Post by Rita Hayworth »

CineMaven wrote:

I’ve yet to see her in her hit serial "JUNGLE GIRL”
CineMaven & SSO Community,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jungle_Girl_(serial)

Jungle Girl ... I remember watching this serial on every Saturday afternoon with my brothers at a local theater and we all love the action of this incredible screen adaptation of Edgar Rice Burroughs and came way wanting more of her of the following week. They showed the first 5 chapters in week one, 2nd 5 chapters in week two, and the final 5 chapters in week three for the price of 50 cents ... so we used our allowance to see it and had a ball about it.

They told me that my Dad took us to the theater & hired a babysitter so that my Mom and Dad can go shopping late Saturday Afternoon for 90 minutes before we all head for McDonalds for dinner! We had fond memories of this.

Last night, I asked my brothers if they can remember anything about it and they said that they all had a crush on Frances Gifford "The Jungle Girl" ... at that time I wasn't really interested in girls but I wanted to see the action of this serial, the lush settings, and Bunny the Elephant because at that time I love elephants and couldn't get enough of them!

So, ten years later ..... Jungle Girl was on in one of my local television stations & all my brothers were (came home for Spring Break) in college at that time and I told them about it and they were excited to see it again and we all watch it together and I can see why my brothers had a crush on her and that time I did too. When CineMaven first posted this ... I keep on going back for more and more and finally had a guts to ask my brothers about this and they all told me about this SERIAL and its was packed with action, great supporting cast (they all like Tom Neal as Jack Stanton and Gerald Mohr as Slick Latimer), and of course the lovely Frances Gifford who played Jungle Girl.

According to Wiki ... it is the most expensive Republic Serial ever made. I can see why!