The Good News Thread

Chit-chat, current events
JackFavell

Re: The Good News Thread

Post by JackFavell »

This is probably the smallest, most insignificant thing ever posted on this thread, but I had no where else to talk about it!

I've admired Tony Duquette's room designs for years. He started out as a stage designer, went to Hollywood and took off from there, designing for the elite of society and the entertainment world. His insanely lush, European-meets-Oriental furnishings just kill me. It shouldn't work, but somehow it does. I once saw his garden on a show on HGTV and immediately fell in love with him. He practically invented bling, and the whole "outdoor room" design that is prevalent today, with beds and couches and massive stacks of pillows for the patio. He liked hiding a section of his garden amidst bamboo and shrubbery, so he'd have a place to relax by himself or with intimate friends. Most of all, I love his inspired use of color.

Well, apparently, he designed jewelry too, which is not surprising but what is is that I just purchased a certified original Tony Duquette necklace! It's probably the smallest most insignificant necklace that crazy man ever designed!

I couldn't believe it this morning when I got on the computer there was a listing for ORIGINAL Tony Duquette jewelry on One King's Lane, a site that sells all sorts of things for up to half off the list price. I rarely buy anything, but have gotten some good deals on the less expensive stuff there.

Anyway, I went excitedly to look, figuring that the Duquette section would be sold out.... but it wasn't. Then I thought it would all be too expensive, but lo! I found a necklace for 30 bucks! Amazing! of course you wouldn't actually recognize this little trinket as Duquette's, it's not big or voluptuous or fascinating, but I"LL know it's an original piece of TONY DUQUETTE jewelry. And the best part is, I KNOW it's really from his collection, because this site specializes in authentic designer items, and is very reputable. Here's my necklace:

It's a single strand of marcasite and mother of pearl beads, that is long enough to doubled over. I'm so excited!!!!
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Gorgeous!!! You will be 'stylin', for sure. :D
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Thanks, knitty! I've never been crazy about jewelry, but lately I seem to be on a jag. The piece I really wanted was 4000 dollars.

Actually, all the pieces I liked were either too expensive or had already been sold:

I would have gone for the amethyst necklace first, then the emerald bracelet (surprisingly affordable at 60 dollars, since it was paste), The brooch next, then the chain mail bracelet, then the dark moonstone necklace, and finally the aztec looking set, which was gorgeously designed, but too western looking for me. It's made of something called drusy, moonstones, and tigers eye.

There were so many beautiful pieces though, a blackstone necklace that looked almost blue black, an incredible lapis bracelet and some blue sodalite pieces, plus some chunky gemstones and a beautiful fish shaped box that was gorgeous. I've discovered after years of hating bracelets that my eye immediately goes to them.
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Oh, Jackie, this is lovely! And so is your necklace. Thanks for posting these great photos.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I love jewellry and I love the ones you've posted, I'm glad you've been able to buy yourself that lovely necklace Wendy, especially as it's from a designer you admire so much.

I spent my birthday money on some ruby stud earrings from the Ponte Vecchio in Florence, it made them more special to buy them when on holiday and from such an iconic place, no one else understood but thankfully were patient whilst I made my purchase. Last year I got some amber jewellry in Normandy for that birthday. I'm lucky that my birthday falls at Easter and I can treat myself when on holiday. Somehow I think Libby will pick up the fondness for jewellry, does Alice like jewellry.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Thanks, Christy and Alison! I knew you would understand. I know the necklace isn't much, but it really made my day to get something of his.

Alice LOVES jewelry. She is constantly borrowing mine (the pieces that fit her age, and nothing too fancy or expensive as yet). She also absconds with shoes, beach hats and sunglasses. I have yet to get a pair of sunglasses that I can call my own.

Those ruby earrings sound heavenly! It's wonderful to be able to get something that has such good memories attached, and looks stunning on you. I love earrings, they were my one jewelry pleasure for a long time, but I cannot wear them anymore, I seem to be permanently allergic to all earrings, even the gold and silver ones.
charliechaplinfan

What a pity that you can't wear earrings anymore, I'd be lost without mine, I have a pair of studs that Chris bought me when Libby was born, I wear those all the time, they're like a good luck charm, so I had my ears pierced for a second time to have a space for an changeable style. Libby talked Chris up last year when he was buying me some amber jewellry last year, it was a big birthday last year but without her help I wouldn't have got as much, she has an eye on wearing it herself of course, when she's old enough. I'm sure she's going to get the jewellry bug, she loves beads, bracelets, headbands, sun hats, scarve, she has her own sunglasses because mine are presciption but everything else she's going to be borrowing. I do get pleasure out of wearing my jewellry, I get a kick every morning choosing what to put on, something I'm sure Chris would never understand.

You'll have to concentrate on buying necklaces and bracelets :wink:
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

You'll have to concentrate on buying necklaces and bracelets :wink:
Uh huh! That's what I've been thinking too!
charliechaplinfan

There was a programme on last week about Elizabeth Taylor's jewellry collection and the auction, now that was a collection, still she might have got away with wearing a diamond tiara, I'm not sure it would look right on me :lol:
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I agree, Elizabeth was made for the tiara, with that jet black hair and all. The rest of us not so lucky.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

she has an eye on wearing it herself of course, when she's old enough.
Seen recently in a joke sent via email:
Two women discussing their purchases for their mothers:

1st woman: "Even when I can't really afford it, I always buy the most expensive jewelry pieces for my mother!"

2nd woman: "Why do you do that?"

1st woman: "I don't want to inherit junk!" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u]JACK FAVELL[/u] wrote:This is probably the smallest, most insignificant thing ever posted on this thread, but I had no where else to talk about it! Here's my necklace:
It's a single strand of marcasite and mother of pearl beads, that is long enough to doubled over. I'm so excited!!!!
With your hair coloring, that green will look great on you.

Now if you do have that $4,000 to spare...you ought to come to the 2013 TCM film fest. (You can wear your marcasite there). :)
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

HA! Touche, Maven, touche. Trust me, after seeing you all having such a great time, if there was any way I could go, I would be there like a shot!

I barely have the 30 bucks to pay for the single strand necklace!
charliechaplinfan

If I had $4000 I'd come to the TCM festival too and wear the jewellry Libby wants to inherit :D That's no joke, Libby knows what she likes and advises accordingly.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Heehee! Alice is quite opinionated too about my clothes, shoes and hairstyles, not to mention jewelry. I wear pigtails out in the morning when I go for my walk, it's more comfortable that way and it keeps the hair off my neck. She hates my hair that way.