WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
knitwit45

Re: WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by knitwit45 »

Alison, I read that the friendship between Kanin/Gordon and Tracy/Hepburn was shattered when Kanin wrote his book about them. T&H felt it was a betrayal of their friendship to tell of the romance, as it had pretty much been an open secret among the Hollywood crowd, but not known to the general public.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

What I'm not understanding is how T and H could be upset with Kanin and Gordon for writing the book, when T was already dead for 3 years when the book came out?
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Sorry, I should have said Hepburn
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Has anyone read through the catalog of Garbo's personal belongings that go to auction soon? Her great nephew tells some interesting stories about her and her demand for privacy. One story tells of the end of her friendship with a wealthy fellow, who leaked the news that she was going to his villa for vacation. Later, when he called her to apologize, he asked what he could do to make it up to her. Her reply was "hang up." :shock: :lol: :lol:
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I can't blame her for that. Plus it's funny. :D
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

My understanding of Garson Kanin's book was that it was sugar coated for one, he embellished and made it more rose coloured than the romance was, Kate put up with a lot from Spence, he wasn't faithful and I don't mean with Louise but there were others in the early days, it was on and off for a few years and of course Spence was a bit of a grumpy git. I think the deal breaker with Kate was that he shattered the illusion of secrecy. Of course when she wrote her own book she wrote openly of Spence but by then I think Louise had died.

I can't picture Ruth Gordon, I've just checked her imdb and I don't think I've watched any of her films. How bad is that.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

As relates to Dr. King's assasination, "Dinner" was released in 1967. King, as most of you know and many remember, was killed in April 1968.

Chaplin Fan, your remarks on the touching and delightful THE ACTRESS reflect my own feelings perfectly, except that I like Simmons in the role. She's one of my favorites. This quirky little story features one of Tracy's most endearing performances. As you say, the man wasn't known for physical comedy. But this is not some half-hearted actor fresh out of drama school. This is Spencer Tracy. THE Spencer Tracy. I'm convinced he could have been cast as a bologna sandwich and been quite believable!

I like your point about the casting of Ms. Wright. I don't know how old she was, but she delivered handsomely. This is a collection of pros!
Last edited by RedRiver on November 11th, 2012, 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I meant to say i think Theresa Wright and Jean Simmons are the most believable mother and daughter combo I think I've ever seen. I totally believe that family.
charliechaplinfan

It's a testimony to the three of them that they could make the relatively young age of Teresa Wright work. I think it's Jean's character rather than her performance I didn't take to, I did think she redeemed herself at the end. The film could have been a wash out in the hands of so so performers and director.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

The last movie I saw was "NIGHT SONG" and it wasn't a fluke. I still enjoyed it. Dana Andrews is an actor of conviction. He wholeheartedly goes for the guts of a role, puts himself into it. The scene with the orchestra, the music, the way it's shot ( by the magnificent Lucien Ballard ) all deep focus, blacks darker than midnight, shimmering nitrate, felt like film noir. Would you love someone, who loved you...but not for the real you? You'd have him just the same...but he thinks you're someone else...which is you? What the heck am I talking about? You've gotta see this movie.

Hey JackaaAay...

I know you're a fan of these two ladies:

Image and Image

Click on these pictures and read a little write-up of these actresses from inside CLASSIC IMAGES Magazine's archives. Give it a moment to let the articles load up.

...And here's a bonus. Your boy, Francis:

Image Image

Doesn't he remind you a little of Dana?
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u][color=#4000BF]kingrat[/color][/u] wrote:Maven, so glad that Night Song holds up on a second viewing.
It really did Brother Rat. Thank you again. :) You gave me a classic I can put on my "Favorites" list.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

My god, Actually, YES! I think there is far more between Dana and Francis Lederer than a shock of magnificent curly brown hair. Both are men who can be swayed to do dark things; both are men who are caught up in fatalistic black nightmares, sometimes through their own folly, but just as often not; both are really super at playing the undercurrent. Both proud men really feel it when they are shaken by fate. Wow! It's amazing to me that you put those two in the same sentence, and I never thought of it before, but now they seem so connected, even though their careers in the darkness are separated by 20 years. Dana and Francis are two of the most expressive actors I can think of, especially when dealing with the pain and agony of life, and love....and death.

I got to watch Night Song as well the other day, and I have to say, I really loved it! Not for the story, which would have been hokey in less skilled hands, not for what actually happened, but for the actors, the way it was filmed, and the amazing musical climax of the film. You are so right about the way the symphony was filmed... completely noir - something was HAPPENING while that music was playing, and it was shown by the camera angles and lighting. It was actually exciting! I've NEVER seen a movie with a classical interlude that was so thrilling. I thought Merle Oberon was particularly good here, her range seemed extended, and she really thinks through her choices on screen. You can read her confusion, her complex emotions, and although the resolution is pat, the thought processes of the two stars are not. Dana Andrews is really quite good at playing blind, he has little tics and bits of business that really read well on film. There's no fakey fakey pretend going on here. The 'angry blind man' act though is a macguffin, it gets us to the real story, it's integral, but this isn't Pride of the Marines. This is about two people, both of whom are fragmented, and only through deep love can they EACH become whole.

The movie brought up a lot of questions for me, about how to make an interesting movie, about the morals of lying to a handicapped person, of how love justifies actions, and about how two people can know one another and not know one another. I started a thread here:

http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/vie ... =23&t=6025

Feel free to join in.
charliechaplinfan

I really like Dana Andrews, he never made it to the top rung of actors despite being a good actor in some great movies. I look out for this, I'd love to see Dana playing a blind man, I've enjoyed reading the reviews.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

Today I watched "Topkapi" (1964) directed by Jules Dassin.

It was okay. It started in this funky, almost psychadelic style that put me off, and it took me a while before I could warm up to the film. The heist scenes themselves were well done, particularly the silent disagreement between the two cops trying to keep tabs on the gang at a wrestling contest.

However, I found "Topkapi" a film without a center. The gang lacked a clear leader. Mercouri had too little screen time for that role. Schell didn't really have a big enough personality, and Ustinov, while very funny, seemed to be brought into the caper as an afterthought.

In short, "Topkapi" needed a Sterling Hayden on which to hang its hat.