Coming Up on TCM

Discussion of programming on TCM.
JackFavell

Re: Coming Up on TCM

Post by JackFavell »

Have you seen Days of Glory before, Mister Arkadin?

BTW, perfect avatar.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

JackFavell wrote:Have you seen Days of Glory before, Mister Arkadin?
I can't remember. I think I saw it when TCM did their Russian series, but I've slept since then. Anything by Tourneur is worth a gander.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

kingrat wrote:The really exciting news for me is the Dreyer double feature Easter night: Leaves from Satan's Book (1919) and Day of Wrath (1943). I've never seen either, and eagerly await the latter, which so many have praised. Marie Corelli's novel Pages from the Book of Satan was a huge bestseller in its day. By the way, her first name was pronounced MAH-rie, like the music hall star Marie Lloyd. Her home in Stratford-upon-Avon is now owned by the Shakespeare Institute. She intended her house to be a shrine for a different author: Marie Corelli. Her fame did not last as long as Shakespeare's.
They are both excellent films. I have a short teaser thread on Leaves floating aound here somewhere. Day of Wrath is my favorite Dreyer and one of the few I would choose to take to a desert island with limited resources. Mr. ChiO and I have discussed, jousted, and argued its merits several times on this forum. I think the last time was the Will You Take Romance thread.

Day of Wrath is a very curious choice for Easter, as the film largely deals with hypocrisy and the effective power of society to do ill in the name of God. I would have personally chosen Ordet (1955) (ChiO's fave, I think), which projects the ideas of belief and resurrection. One might think the programmers at TCM would know better.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

kingrat wrote:Kingme should be very happy Saturday night, with TCM honoring Rita Hayworth. Gilda and The Lady from Shanghai are classics, and Fire Down Below isn't bad. But what do our Rita experts think about The Happy Thieves, The Lady in Question, and Affair in Trinidad, none of which I've seen?
The Happy Thieves is where Rita teams up with Rex Harrison in this adventure/comedy/drama movie that is quite lightly entertaining with a touch of romance and intrigue in the world of art done by masters. I would give this movie 2.5 stars out of 5. I'm for one is looking forward seeing it ... it's been 20 years since I last seen it in New York City. I was in New York City in 1982 visiting a friend from my College Days.

Fire Down Below is excellent adventure movie with some nice romance, tension, and tropical scenery. Jack Lemmon and Robert Mitchum co-starred with Rita and I always find this movie very entertaining with great shots of locals and buildings in the Trinidad area that I find it to be star of its own. It was Lemmon's sentimental favorites and he was thrilled working with both Hayworth and Mitchum. I would give this movie a solid 3 stars for performance of the big three and 2 stars for the rest. Either way, its a decent movie to watch. And, Enjoyable too.

Lady in Question is one of my favorites because both Rita Hayworth and Glenn Ford looks so young and innocent looking. It's also starred Brian Aherne and he was the male lead this drama/romance movie involving some detective/crime stuff. It's has a little bit of film noir built in (not much) but I do see it coming. But, I like it because Rita looks so ravishing with Glenn Ford in the classic telescope scene of which leave my heart racing. I give this movie 3 stars because it's good all around movie to watch.

Affair in Trinidad is considered the weaker of the three film noirs that Rita did in her legendary career. In some ways, this movie is somewhat better than Lady From Shanghai and Gilda ... but, overall both Gilda and Shanghai tops Affair. I love the Trinidad Lady Number that Rita performs in some ways just as good as Gilda Amado Mio dance routine. However, this movie has its moments ... boy its has its moments and that alone makes it's good. My problems with Shanghai is that Orson Welles made it too creative and flamboyant ... Affair is a classic Film Noir and I for one give this movie a solid 3 stars for the overall presentation ... but the story/script and the awkward direction brings it down to 2 stars.

In my heart, I considered Gilda the best Film Noir that Rita Hayworth done in her career. I have a beef against Shanghai because Orson went too far as creative (or creativity) angle that threw me off big time. So, all your Shanghai/Welles fans ... Sorry ... I have problems with that movie because of the sudden twists of turns. So, in my own opinion ... Gilda is the best Film Noir, followed by Shanghai, and then Affair. Critics felt Shanghai is the best ... because they felt Orson Welles is the better director than Charles Vidor. I like them both equally well.

Overall Shanghai gets 3.5 stars ... Gilda gets 3.5 stars too. Why, I downgrade Shanghai as a Film Noir ... because Welles threw in Adventure Theme in ... and took out Music and Romance. That's why Gilda gets the Gold Medal, Shanghai gets the Silver, and Affair gets the Bronze.

Here's my rundown ... Kingrat!
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Day of Wrath is a very curious choice for Easter, as the film largely deals with hypocrisy and the effective power of society to do ill in the name of God. I would have personally chosen Ordet (1955) (ChiO's fave, I think), which projects the ideas of belief and resurrection. One might think the programmers at TCM would know better.
DAY OF WRATH is the third (following THE PASSION OF JOAN OF ARC and ORDET) movie on my list of films made by the director who is second (following Orson Welles) on my list of directors. It is an interesting, and curious, choice for (Western) Easter. Those of us who celebrate Easter next Sunday should get ANDREI RUBLEV, but I'd settle for STARS IN MY CROWN or A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH or ON DANGEROUS GROUND (the biggest hits when I did a Lenten film festival for a church).
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Jezebel38

Post by Jezebel38 »

kingme wrote:
kingrat wrote:Kingme should be very happy Saturday night, with TCM honoring Rita Hayworth. Gilda and The Lady from Shanghai are classics, and Fire Down Below isn't bad. But what do our Rita experts think about The Happy Thieves, The Lady in Question, and Affair in Trinidad, none of which I've seen?
Affair in Trinidad is considered the weaker of the three film noirs that Rita did in her legendary career. In some ways, this movie is somewhat better than Lady From Shanghai and Gilda ... but, overall both Gilda and Shanghai tops Affair. I love the Trinidad Lady Number that Rita performs in some ways just as good as Gilda Amado Mio dance routine.
A chick-a-chick boom, chick boom! Announces she's in the room! KINGRAT - youv'e never seen THE RETURN OF GILDA...ooops, I mean AFFAIR IN TRINIDAD? More love/hate going on, and Glenn even slaps Rita again. Like KINGME, I like the dance routines in this, especially the second one she does, I've Been Kissed Before.
No, not a great film, but I like this one better than FIRE DOWN BELOW.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Sure wish we were going to see Stars in My Crown.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Sure wish we were going to see Stars in My Crown.
Knitty,

The good news is that Stars will be on TCM next month as part of Joel McCrea's turn at Star of the Month!

May 16th at 12:45 am (EST).

I'm going to love May!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Mr. Arkadin wrote:With all the great Doris on this week, don't miss Friday morning's Kay Francis flicks. Guilty Hands (1931) is a personal favorite of mine (but I like anything she's in):

A Notorious Affair (1930)- A beautiful noblewoman gives up wealth and society for love of a two-timing musician.

Guilty Hands (1931) - A district attorney tries to frame an innocent girl for the murder he committed.

Transgression (1931) - When her lover is killed, a straying wife tries to intercept the confession she mailed her husband.

Jewel Robbery (1932) - A jewel thief falls for a tycoon's wife in Vienna.

I Loved A Woman (1933) - A Chicago meat-packer tries to keep a rein on his social-climbing wife.
I've been having a Kay old time this morning. She sure emotes her head off...but she's stunning to watch. I really enjoyed "GUILTY HANDS" myself. Barrymore, Lionel this time, plays a lawyer who uses the law and his skill as an attorney against people. It was fascinating to see him wield the law as a bludgeon.

But again, can anyone escape their guilt?

Next up: William Powell...his usual urbane, suave and diction-perfect self.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

ChiO wrote:
DAY OF WRATH is the third (following THE PASSION OF JOAN OF ARC and ORDET) movie on my list of films made by the director who is second (following Orson Welles) on my list of directors.
Ah, I forgot Joan of Arc was your number one! Can you ever forgive me (it is Holy Week after all)?
ChiO wrote:
It is an interesting, and curious, choice for (Western) Easter. Those of us who celebrate Easter next Sunday should get ANDREI RUBLEV, but I'd settle for STARS IN MY CROWN or A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH or ON DANGEROUS GROUND (the biggest hits when I did a Lenten film festival for a church).
Makes me wonder if they don't know what they're doing, or perhaps the opposite.

The last skirmish:

http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/vie ... =23&t=1665
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I really wanted to stay home today and watch TCM...but at least I get to go home a little early and (hopefully) catch a couple of Kays.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

CineMaven wrote:
Mr. Arkadin wrote:With all the great Doris on this week, don't miss Friday morning's Kay Francis flicks. Guilty Hands (1931) is a personal favorite of mine (but I like anything she's in):

A Notorious Affair (1930)- A beautiful noblewoman gives up wealth and society for love of a two-timing musician.

Guilty Hands (1931) - A district attorney tries to frame an innocent girl for the murder he committed.

Transgression (1931) - When her lover is killed, a straying wife tries to intercept the confession she mailed her husband.

Jewel Robbery (1932) - A jewel thief falls for a tycoon's wife in Vienna.

I Loved A Woman (1933) - A Chicago meat-packer tries to keep a rein on his social-climbing wife.
I've been having a Kay old time this morning. She sure emotes her head off...but she's stunning to watch. I really enjoyed "GUILTY HANDS" myself. Barrymore, Lionel this time, plays a lawyer who uses the law and his skill as an attorney against people. It was fascinating to see him wield the law as a bludgeon.

But again, can anyone escape their guilt?

Next up: William Powell...his usual urbane, suave and diction-perfect self.
It's a great little film with a beautifully ironic ending. Still holds some of its stage origins, but with Barrymore that's not such a bad thing. I don't believe this is in print, so hopefully everybody recorded it.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Turns out I've seen Guilty Hands and Transgression before, but oh those clothes! Worth watching again... :D

I really love Kay in Guilty Hands, she's so appealingly righteous as the dark other woman. And speaking of hands, I just love the way Barrymore gesticulates in this film... it's rare to see him using those huge paws later on when he had arthritis, so it's a treat to see him mopping his guilty brow in this early precode.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u][color=#0000BF]MR. ARKADIN[/color][/u] wrote:It's a great little film with a beautifully ironic ending. Still holds some of its stage origins, but with Barrymore that's not such a bad thing. I don't believe this is in print, so hopefully everybody recorded it.
I'm an old-fashioned gal from the 20th century with merely two cans and a string...and a VCR and VHS tapes. Yes, the ending was a pre-code triumph. My jaw dropped.

[u][color=#4040BF]MISS GODDESS[/color][/u] wrote:Image

I really wanted to stay home today and watch TCM...but at least I get to go home a little early and (hopefully) catch a couple of Kays.
Oooh I hear ya Miss G. I'm sorry. You really have to line up those TCM 'hooky' days. Well, I hope you've been recording them or do get to see some of today's line-up. In "Jewel Robbery" she and Helen Vinson are a perfect pair of cats together; light and dark of the same coin...I totally believe their friendship. That's a lovely pix of Kay Francis you posted.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com