WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
charliechaplinfan

Re: WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by charliechaplinfan »

The Boston Strangler is an eye opener, Tony Curtis playing against type, really well, I bet this was one of his favourite roles. He's so good I'd almost forgot Henry Fonda was in it.

I love the picture Theresa, the film is so full of surprises, I'm not sure I've watched a film where the attraction between a married couple is so unusual, we can see why he would love Jenny and feel jealous enough to kill but what does Jenny see in Maurice? It's something that she sees that we don't and Dora, what/who is she? With all the action we don't initially think of her part in this apart from a plot device to get both husband and wife to talk about what has been going on. I thought the attraction was for Jenny, I could see one woman seeing something in the unassuming Maurice, but two? I wish Clouzot had made more films.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I'm almost positive I saw Robert Mitchum in a VD intstructional film! A bizarre program in my area ran the film late at night. A very young Mitchum, as well Noah Berry, Jr. appeared as GIs in need of training. Unless I'm very much mistaken.
charliechaplinfan

I watched a rather colourful movie, Nob Hill, starring George raft, Vivian Blaine, Joan Bennett and Peggy Ann Garner, it would have been a so so musical but for the leading players, George plays the owner of a ritzy nightclub on the Barbary coast, Vivian is sally a girl who loves him and sings in his club, Peggy a waif who comes from Ireland looking for her uncle who had worked for George but had died and Joan as the woman Peggy met on the boat who also has designs on George. it's not a good part for Joan and she has terrible makeup, very bright, perhaps an experiment with technicolur or a fashion that doesn;t look good today, Joan doesn;t have much to do but what she does she does with charm and grace. it's Vivian Blaine who is a revelation to me, I've only seen her in Guys and Dolls some ten years later, she's so talented, why have I not seen her in other movies? And Peggy Ann Garner, what a child star and what a part, no one else was going to get a look in whilst in a scene with her.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Jack Conway had a good hand for adventure. He did some of the rough and tumble Gable stuff, as well as the outstanding TALE OF TWO CITIES. I have not seen the movie you describe, but it sounds good. Reminiscent, perhaps, of the high-spirited spy films of Powell and Pressberger?

Finally watched the redneck's favorite Christmas movie. BAD SANTA! I didn't expect to like it a lot, and I didn't. It does have some appealing quirks, a dark thread that serves it well. But it's excessively vulgar, too violent and not particularly clever. What we can't seem to convince some people of, is that vulgar and funny are not the same thing. They can co-exist, but one doesn't necessarily equal the other. Should you wind up watching this movie over the holidays, you could do worse. If not, you're really not missing much!

I nabbed this video for five dollars. For the convenience, and the quality, it was worth it. It's nice to watch a brand new copy! I also got MR. MAJESTYK, a Charles Bronson shoot 'em up I hadn't seen before. There's considerable talent behind this fun, if forgettable, action story. Written by the popular Elmore Leonard, the story concerns stubborn, unpredictable people in threatening situations. It was directed by Richard Fleischer, who is no stranger to the action genre. This is not a great movie. It peaks early, then levels off. But it's an exciting level to be stuck with. It moves quickly, it's not too serious. It's gutsy, intense and colorful.

Interestingly, this story is about tough guys, hit men and migrant workers. And I don't think the F word came up one time. BAD SANTA rarely gets off a line without it.
Merry ****ing Christmas!
charliechaplinfan

I watched a really powerful and utterly memorable film yesterday, Never Take Candy From a Stranger an offering from Hammer films. A new principle is employed in a small Canadian town, he's moved from England with his wife and daughter, soon after moving in his daughter tells him how she's gone with her friend to get candy from the house of an old man, Clarence Oldenberry and to earn it she's danced naked in front of him. The principal goes to the police but the old man and his son 'own' the town, they employ most people and the son sits on the board of the governors at the school and noone wants to upset the family. Despite getting warnings, the family press ahead with the charges and go to court, having to pull out because of the psycological impact on the daughter. Niavety on the part of the family taking on the town but then things take an unpredicatable turn. Felix Alymer is so creepy as the old man, Bill Nagy, persuasive and bullying in turn as the son, Janina Faye pitch perfect in her role as the daughter.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

As I get ready for my Friday night jaunt into the city, I have "WUTHERING HEIGHTS" playing in the background. She's hot / she's cold...she's up / she's down...come here / go away. Willfull?? High strrung?? Is Kathy a manic-depressive?? She sounds very mean-spirited to me as I have this wafting in the background. Scarlett doesn't seem mean; just single-minded. ( Geraldine Fitzgerald is so beautiful, as is Olivier with darkness and curly hair and now all grown-up and a success. Wow! ) Okay I know. It's a mistake to watch a movie this way.

Zasu Pitts!!!
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Never Take Candy From a Stranger

Wow! This sounds intriguing. Maybe even familiar. Might I have seen it at one time or another? I'm not sure.
charliechaplinfan

I've watched 2 more Hammer films, I think I'm hooked, I've never watched them before, they don't look particular big budget but they do have intriguing storylines. The first Hammer film I watched Cash on Demand starring Peter Cushing and Andre Morell, basically a heist movie with a twist, it takes place in a English bank on the 23rd of December, Cushing is a very upright bank manager very condemning of his number 2 Pearson, when Morell gets shown into his office that morning by saying he's from the security department it sets in motion a heist with a difference.

Then I watched Homicidal starring Jean Arless as a murderess, who offers a bell hop 2k to marry her to have it annulled straight away, it's revealed that she is a nurse to Helga who has been struck dumb because of a stroke. Helga was the nursemaid to Warren, a boy set to inherit millions on his 21st birthday 2 days hence. I was mightily curious as to the actor playing Warren, I wondered if he was an alien because of the way he talked, he wasn't but I was impressed by the twist (I'm so glad that hubby wasn't watching it, he'd have got it straight away and since reading the imdb seems most people thought it was obvious to but I'm glad it didn't twig with me it made all the difference) Jean Arless plays a great role in this movie.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Am I the only one here who likes Tony Curtis? I think he's just great in the Boston Strangler. Using those same things that made him a star, he's magnetic as a psychotic sociopath. (did I get the terminology right this time?) :D
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

I feel that Tony Curtis was excellent as The Boston Strangler!
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

charliechaplinfan wrote:Then I watched Homicidal starring Jean Arless as a murderess,...I was mightily curious as to the actor playing Warren, I wondered if he was an alien because of the way he talked, he wasn't but I was impressed by the twist (I'm so glad that hubby wasn't watching it, he'd have got it straight away and since reading the imdb seems most people thought it was obvious to but I'm glad it didn't twig with me it made all the difference) Jean Arless plays a great role in this movie.
Have you seen "The Crying Game"?
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
charliechaplinfan

Yes I have, I watched it with my mother years ago, I can still remember the icecream dropping in her lap when the twist was revealed.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I can still remember the icecream dropping in her lap when the twist was revealed.
giggle