Coming Up on TCM

Discussion of programming on TCM.
feaito

Re: Coming Up on TCM

Post by feaito »

"On Borrowed Time" is very good! One of the re-discovered little gems of the late '30s.
Jezebel38

Post by Jezebel38 »

kingrat wrote:
ADVENTURES OF TARTU (1943). A British spy sets out to sabotage a Nazi gas factory in Czechoslovakia. Robert Donat, Valerie Hobson, Walter Rilla.
SABOTAGE AGENT (1943). An undercover agent battles Nazis to save an aviation plant. Robert Donat, Valerie Hobson, Walter Rilla.
A warning - this is the same film, just the English release and the American release with different titles. This has been pointed out before to TCM, and I believe MGMWBRKO responed to say there are different scenes in each version. I believe there is a few minutes difference on the running times, so perhaps there is some validity in that, but I've seen this film a few times, and wouldn't think there would be any reason to have both versions. Maybe someone won't mind recording both, and then give a run down on any differences they notice.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I would not miss On Borrowed Time. It is one of the best films of Lionel Barrymore's career before he went "to the land where the woodbine twineth."
KATHLEEN (1941). A neglected daughter tries to find the right wife for her widowed father. Shirley Temple, Herbert Marshall, Laraine Day.
I really like the movies that Shirley Temple made when she was "over the hill." Considered a box office failure when released in the forties, and receiving several dud reviews on IMDb, I thought that this movie had some surprisingly fresh and painfully real moments depicting a young girl's emotional ties to her rich father (played by the usually enjoyable Herbert Marshall, who is dimly appealing as her distant dad). The movie presented the world--at least for a few moments--from the perspective of a 12-year old girl. An adult viewer can feel a pang for the poor broad who is her rigid governess (Nella Walker) and even for her father's chilly fiancee (played by Gail Patrick as though she was channeling Gale Sondergaard and the Wicked Queen in Snow White). As a child psychologist, Laraine Day radiates a combination of warmth, empathy and intelligence to an unusual degree in this MGM vehicle, presenting a character who is another idealized adult. Fortunately for Shirley's Kathleen, she's not a fantasy. No points if you can predict the inevitable outcome of this formula.
Shirley Temple as Kathleen (1941) was not quite ready to abandon the trappings of childhood.

Kathleen's fantasies of how she would like their life to be are funny and agonizing to see. Before this movie resolves the issues it brings up (and almost goes off the rails completely, turning into Mädchen in Uniform meets Diary of a Lost Girl when Shirley goes to reform school--yes, reform school!), there is another sequence that is heartbreaking in retrospect, though no one ever seems to comment on it. When eluding her adult keepers, Kathleen becomes friends with an African-American boy who brings her to his home, where his mother gives her more love in one evening than she has experienced in a year at home. When she returns the favor by having him to her home for a meal, the predictable outcome is not pretty. Nor is the dream sequence when Shirley appears as a mulatto anything but agonizing to view today.
Temple and her director Harold S. Bucquet during the filming of one of the elaborate dream sequences in Kathleen (1941). Many of these scenes were edited out of the prints shown subsequently in theaters and on television, though it is believed that the TCM print is among the most complete.

Btw, this was the only MGM film that Temple made. Though she regarded the relatively low budget movie as a bomb while making it, in her memoirs, Shirley wrote that she was glad that she was only "half an orphan" in this story and that her hovering mother entrusted her to make her own decisions about her characterization, except for two instances. On the first day of shooting, Shirley and her mother were accosted by radical members of SAG protesting a grievance against the conservative studio that had nothing to do with Shirley. As the actress and her mother attempted to drive onto the Culver City lot, their car was spat on and rocked by the protesters while MGM security guards watched indifferently. Temple's mother, who reportedly was privately glad that her daughter was no longer #1 at the box office, turned the car around and drove home until the matter was resolved. During filming, the notoriously defensive Mrs. Temple only spoke up once for her blossoming daughter, whose acting talent was evident. During one of the elaborate fantasy sequences involving tons of extras and a complex musical number, Shirley was worked to the point of near exhaustion, causing her singing voice to become strained. Rather than stop filming for awhile as Mrs. Temple urged, the MGM musical director, the legendary Roger Edens, and a front office supernumerary arrived on the set. According to Shirley Temple Black's autobiography Child Star, Edens, speaking "in low, even tones, but easily overheard, [said] 'Look, this is Metro, Mrs. Temple. We work right through. Judy just had her eighteenth birthday and we worked her all night, until 4:00am. She loved it! A mark of maturity.'

'And wait until Shirley's eighteen,' chimed in the other man. 'We'll work her all night, just like Judy.' Mother turned, eyes glistening. 'Well, she's not eighteen yet...I won't order her to do it, [she told Edens]. If you do, you'll get rotten results!' That's just what they did and that's what they got," according to Temple's memoir.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u]MOIRA FINNIE[/u] wrote:KATHLEEN (1941). A neglected daughter tries to find the right wife for her widowed father. Shirley Temple, Herbert Marshall, Laraine Day. Kathleen's fantasies of how she would like their life to be are funny and agonizing to see. Before this movie resolves the issues it brings up (and almost goes off the rails completely, turning into Mädchen in Uniform meets Diary of a Lost Girl when Shirley goes to reform school--yes, reform school!), there is another sequence that is heartbreaking in retrospect, though no one ever seems to comment on it. When eluding her adult keepers, Kathleen becomes friends with an African-American boy who brings her to his home, where his mother gives her more love in one evening than she has experienced in a year at home. When she returns the favor by having him to her home for a meal, the predictable outcome is not pretty. Nor is the dream sequence when Shirley appears as a mulatto anything but agonizing to view today.
Moira, you are amazing! That you put together "MAEDCHEN IN UNIFORM" AND "DIARY OF A LOST GIRL" WITH SHIRLEY TEMPLE astounds and doubles me over!!!! :lol: That alone will make me want to see the movie.

The rest of it, well... :(
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Glad you got a laugh out of my take on Kathleen (1941), Cine.

FYI all!!! Tonight on TCM:
Son of Frankenstein (1939-Rowland V. Lee) is on Monday, April 9 @ 09:30 PM (ET)
The legendary scientist's son is tempted to resume his father's horrible experiments.
Cast: Basil Rathbone, Josephine Hutchinson, Donnie Dunagan, Boris Karloff, Bela Lugosi, Lionel Atwill
. :
One of the most entertaining of the Frankenstein movies, and many regard it as the last of the great Universal Frankenstein movies. I once read an interview with Josephine Hutchinson in which the actress, who plays Basil Rathbone's naive wife in the film, said she and Basil barely got through any of their scenes without breaking up in laughter. Despite this, the material is appropriately grim, but with an amusing twist running through it that begins with the sight of the humongous sets designed by Art Director Jack Otterson and his associate, Richard H. Riedel. My favorite scene: Basil, as the latest descendant of the hated House of Frankenstein to show up in this burg, receives flowers and greetings from the townspeople in the pouring rain. Thanking them profusely, the suspicious peasants all melt away after getting a gander at him--but Boris burbles on fatuously!

Mel Brooks was inspired to create much of Young Frankenstein from such goofy, over-the top bits--including Lionel Atwill's wooden arm.

Other films tonight aim at the Irene Dunne crowd...not to mention those who love Charles Boyer.

11:15 PM ET
Together Again (1944)
The female mayor of a small-town ignites local gossip when she falls for a sculptor.
Dir: Charles Vidor Cast: Irene Dunne , Charles Boyer , Charles Coburn .
BW-100 mins, TV-G, CC,

1:00 AM ET
Theodora Goes Wild (1936)
A woman's two lives as small-town innocent and author of torrid romances collide.
Dir: Richard Boleslawski Cast: Irene Dunne , Melvyn Douglas , Thomas Mitchell .
BW-94 mins, TV-G, CC,
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

What a strange day it was for my movie watching yesterday...at lunchtime I submitted to Avenging Waters where the best actors in this little horse opera are Tarzan, (Kevin Maynard's horse) and Ward Bond (no, really! he was excellent as the heavy and the only man dressed normally). Then I come home to a nifty little poor man's Philo Vance, Charles Vidor's Muss 'em Up, starring Preston Foster as---I couldn't get the Speaker of the House out of my head---'Tip' O'Neal, a two-fisted sleuth who repeatedly affirmed the most effective gift to law enforcement was the rubber hose. I am guessing 'Tip' O'Neal's character was part of a series since this film referenced an earlier entry several times with the same characters.

Racy dialogue between Foster and Margaret Callahan (playing Alan Mowbray's secretary), a good supporting cast including Guinn 'Big Boy' Williams, a needle-pointing :!: Ralph Morgan, Max 'Slapsie Maxie' Rosenbloom (love that Runyonesque tag), John Carroll (with a nice twist on his usual sleazy characters), the aforementioned Alan Mowbray sporting what looks like a bleach job, and of course, man of the day, Wardy Bond, all made for a fun detective romp. Foster makes the most unconventional detective I ever saw, possessing just two basic knacks for getting information (without all the bother of actual detecting and deduction): threaten your suspect until he tells, or pay him off. :D

After this, I segued into a DVD of Bing Crosby TV specials and after swinging with Bing, Frank, Peggy and Satchmo', I tuned into The Son of Frankenstein. I'm afraid I wasn't very afraid and kept giggling at it, thanks to Mel Brooks' tribute, Young Frankenstein. I couldn't get it out of my mind! I fell asleep by the end so I don't know what happened to Lionel Atwill and his wooden arm.

Quite a day!
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Hey MissGoddess, I watched Avenging Waters too -- I really dug the model work and that unintentionally funny-awful process shot where Ken Maynard got dragged by a horse -- and recovered instantly without a hair or thread out of place... even his hat didn't fall off! The cowboy costumes were pretty amusing... they dress fancy on that there prairie. :) In all seriousness, I had a good time with this (I am a complete sucker for B-westerns) and enjoyed the musical numbers, especially that harmonica band piece.

Maynard was an accomplished horseman and that skill plus his good looks as a young man made him into one of the Westerns stars of the silent era, working (mainly) for First National and Universal. He was also a talented musician and since singing cowboys came into vogue after the arrival of the talkies, his musical abilities helped him make that transition successfully. His singing voice was very nasal though, and not universally beloved, though he did make a few recordings. But the music was never as important to his films as they were with the big-name singing cowboys like Roy Rogers and Gene Autry. Unfortunately Maynard's contract with Universal was dropped due to Depression budget cuts and he ended up on Poverty Row, though Universal and Columbia hired him back a few years later. (Avenging Waters is one of the Columbia titles). By the late 30s it was back to Poverty Row and by 1944 his movie career was over -- in part due to a difficult personality, alcoholism and an arrest for drunken driving. He died a pauper in 1973. :( His brother Kermit was also a Western actor and stuntman but unlike Ken, lived a life on the straight and narrow, and had a successful second act working a white-collar job for the Screen Extras Guild (which eventually merged with SAG).
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

KR, I really like Green for Danger, with one of my favorites, Megs Jenkins. (It took me a few minutes to quit expecting Alistair Sim to yell "BAH, HUMBUG"....) :lol:
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I love megs too! Green for Danger is a lot of fun.

I've been wanting to see Forbidden Games for a long time, kingrat, so thanks for the reminder.

As for Wardy Bond, I think he was fantastic in everything, even when he was just a walk on or bit part. He's always doing something interesting to get your attention (like dying, for instance) in these early movies of his. I enjoyed his day very much.

Son of Frankenstein used to be one of my favorites in the series when I was a kid, just for Basil's over the top performance. He was hilarious! Now if they would show my other favorite from childhood, Tower of London, my life would be complete.

I finally got to see Together Again. It was good, very enjoyable for Boyer and Dunne, and Irene looked great, at her prettiest actually, but the idea seemed pretty tired and reminded me that Theodora Goes Wild was on next and was much better. I still love the first half of that movie, it's pretty near perfect. Melvyn Douglas is actually sexy and I love the cute little doggie. Spring Byington and the ladies of the town are SO hypocritical, I love the whole section with Byington reading the steamy parts of the book to the "outraged" ladies... and Thomas Mitchell when he comes in and tells the ladies that they can boycott all they want, but he will still have copies of Caroline Adams' serialized book over at his office for anyone who would like to come by later (and you know they all do).
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Dear Wendy,

I'm leaving for London tomorrow and meeting a friend for lunch on Monday, who works not far from the Tower of London.
After lunch, I am going to tour the Tower; and if I see Basil, I'll say "Hello"!!!!!!!

I love that old film - lots of stars - and it's pretty accurate too!!

Larry
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh Larry, I just love the Tower... if you see Basil.... RUN!

Have a great trip! I loved coming out of the tube station and seeing the Tower right there smack in front of you. The only other monument that is so stunning on first sight is St. Paul's.

Say hi to the Queen's jewels for me, especially that jeweled Indian tiara that is my favorite... or was it a necklace? If I could have, I would have sneaked that one out but it was sealed behind plate glass. Oh well. Kiss a Beefeater for me instead! :D
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

on a much lighter note...The Enchanted Cottage is on TCM Weds, at 11:45pm CST. Robert Young's favorite movie, "The best love story ever written"...