WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by moira finnie »

JackFavell wrote:According to the site schedule, it's supposed to be on at 2:30 AM on Sunday night, right in between Peter Gunn and Route 66. However, there is a disclaimer if you go look up the SHOW on the site, saying that it might be on only in some areas.
Thanks, Wendy. They must have added that show this month. I haven't seen these in living memory, though the theme song (first that great Peter Gunn tune--then Mr. Lucky from the nimble baton of Henry Manciini) and youtube clips are engaging. Mr. Lucky always looked like one of those shows that could make a viewer feel worldly--even when I was definitely not.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

Today I watched "Golden Boy" (1939) directed by Rouben Mamoulian.

Mixed feelings about this one. This is a film that has been copied so many times that by the time I actually saw it, I pretty much knew everything that was going to happen. After seeing "City for Conquest," "The Killers" (1946) and "The Set-Up," "Golden Boy" didn't have too much left.

However, I loved Barbara Stanwyck in this one. If she asked me to box or give up boxing, I'd do it. And the big fight itself was very well done. Besides the films I mentioned earlier, the fight scene here also made me think of "Raging Bull." I'm sure that Scorsese watched this one several times before he made his boxing film.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Moira, I only saw the Mr. Lucky series for a short time in college, actually before I saw the movie version (which has nothing in common with the TV show). I just loved it, and yes it made me feel a bit worldly and so very sophisticated, even though I was just a midwestern girl who had to stay up till 3 in the morning to watch it (yeah it was also on late Sunday night back then too). Ross Martin is a favorite of mine so it was kind of a hoot to watch him as this mysterious island character with a Puerto Rican accent...
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

ANN...The Keeper Of Secrets in "DARK VICTORY."

"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Ross Martin. The perennial sidekick! About Hayden Rorke: In an ideal world, a Shakespearean player would not have to resort to mindless drivel. But if I were an actor, with bills to pay, I would not be ashamed of a harmless sitcom. There are worse ways to make a living.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

RedRiver wrote:Ross Martin. The perennial sidekick! About Hayden Rorke: In an ideal world, a Shakespearean player would not have to resort to mindless drivel. But if I were an actor, with bills to pay, I would not be ashamed of a harmless sitcom. There are worse ways to make a living.
Yeah, at least he was a working actor, which is always an accomplishment.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

moirafinnie wrote:
RedRiver wrote:Ross Martin. The perennial sidekick! About Hayden Rorke: In an ideal world, a Shakespearean player would not have to resort to mindless drivel. But if I were an actor, with bills to pay, I would not be ashamed of a harmless sitcom. There are worse ways to make a living.
Yeah, at least he was a working actor, which is always an accomplishment.
Ross Martin the perfect sidekick as always ...

The team of Robert Conrad and Ross Martin will always be one of my favorites of all time in the legendary CBS Series in the Sixties ... The Wild, Wild, West!

It has everything ...

A Western
A Spy Adventure ( a western type 007 )
007 Gadgets ... So many of them its rivals James Bond
A Mystery
Some Science Fiction thrown in
Beautiful Women and Romance
Fantastic Villains ... Micheal Dunn as Dr. Loveless
Drama
Excitement
Good Writing
Catching Titles ... "The Night ... "
And, anything else you can think of!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Image Image

I kinda liked “HONEYMOON FOR THREE.” Oh yes, there were some annoying plot situations ( Brent going back between two dinner tables was a bit long ) but the movie moved at a fast and furious clip as Sheridan & Brent were slinging lines back and forth like Navratilova and Graf at Wimbledon. I thought Brent's & Sheridan's chemistry was very good. And so did they. They were married in real life for about a minute and a half. Charlie Ruggles was very funny as the penny pinching tightwad who wanted to get rid of his wife, played by Osa Munson. She was soooo annoying, I didn't blame him for wanting to run.

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I thought the movie was a good solid comedy, very similar to some of the others of that time period, but made better by the ever wise-cracking Sheridan. You know I love Charlie Ruggles, so of course that also counts for some laughs. Not bad at all.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I don't think I knew you liked Charlie. I'll keep that in mind. Sheridan Sheridan Sheridan. And George was pretty light on his feet too.

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

The Wild, Wild, West! It has everything

Including some of the cutest theme music of the era.

Ann Sheridan is adorable. As Gary Cooper's wife; as Ronald Reagan's girlfriend. She's bursting with energy. In a certain windy city, I lived on Sheridan Road for twenty years! How many times did Chio drive past my apartment?
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

They were married in real life for about a minute and a half

I once dated a woman for almost an hour!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Ann Sheridan's great.

Yeah. That wasn't my original post.

CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u]KING[/u] [u]RAT[/u] wrote:I liked HONEYMOON FOR THREE a lot. Thanks for the recommendation, Mr. Arkadin. Witty script (the Epstein brothers of CASABLANCA fame provided "additional dialogue"), snappy direction, razor-sharp timing by all the actors. Who knew George Brent could deliver in a light comedy Cary Grant kind of role? Right from the amusing banter on the train between Brent and Ann Sheridan, I was hooked. Charlie Ruggles had some very funny moments as an unusual kind of wronged husband, and Osa Massen owned the role of the high maintenance wife/girlfriend who may not be quite the prize she seems. Jane Wyman as Charlie's cousin and William T. Orr as her fiance were equally strong. Jane Wyman had few of the best lines, but she made the most of every appearance. Lee Patrick was fun as the woman who wants to name her infant after George.

I'm happy I saw your comment over in The January 2013 TCM Schedule thread or I might've missed the film. I wasn't crazy about Osa Massen. I know she was s'posed to be annoying, but she really was. But I agree with you on all other counts on the timing and snappy direction and the amusing banter on the train:

Sheridan: "Got anything on?"
Brent: "Yeah."
Sheridan: "I never do get a break do I? Got your picture in the paper, does that make you feel any better?"
Brent: "Yeah. What page?"
Sheridan: "Seven."
Brent: "I feel worse."
Sheridan: "Well if it wasn't for the war you'd be on page one. I'd see to it."
Brent: "That's the best excuse I know for peace."

I love sparkling dialogue in the mouths of pros who know what to do with it. Stellar.