'Round the World Weather Report

Chit-chat, current events
JackFavell

Re: 'Round the World Weather Report

Post by JackFavell »

I missed the replies to the article when I read it and I am glad I did, now that I went back to read them. My heart goes out to those poor people, knowing what a devastating event this is for them, and at this time of the year. There are years and years of memories and work put into those homes that were lost, and a huge burden awaiting the families. I hope they all are able to overcome the difficult feelings and thoughts that come up at a time like this, and that their new lives starting over are even happier than what went before.
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Everything OK out there? I didn't even know there was a faultline through the midwest.
klondike

Post by klondike »

My personal theory?
I bet Rod Blagojevich put a down-payment on a house in Gary. :x :evil: :x
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

JackFavell wrote:Everything OK out there? I didn't even know there was a faultline through the midwest.
I didn't know what happened. It sounded like Nick or Nora (my cats) had somehow turned on and cranked up my subwoofer. (They do it with my clock radio all the time.) The house filled with a loud, low bass and I really didn't have to stir my Froot Loops, but nothing more than that. Wasn't until I heard on the news about the shake up up north that it made sense. (By the way, after a long search, I found brave Nick and Nora under the bed. Downing martinis, of course.)
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Wendy, here's a link to a map I just found, showing where the most recent quakes have happened in the Central Mid-West.

http://showme.net/~fkeller/quake/

I remember feeling a tremor in 1968, I was working in the oldest section of KC, in a building that dated back to the late 1890's. Kind of an eerie feeling, especially being on the 5th floor!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Whoa! Who knew????

We once had a tiny earthquake here, I remember I reached up to the lamp on my desk because the shade was shaking back and forth, I thought I bumped the desk with my foot, but it kept on shaking - I couldn't stop it. Then it was over. I didn't know till the next day what it was.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Well, I managed to get home for the holidays without a hitch. Even the car waited to get here before it decided it needed to see a mechanic because engine oil was leaking into the coolant system.

But, now, with it raining here in Southern California and the snow level is down to 3,000 feet and falling, Interstate 5 (the main highway that links Northern and Southern CA) is closed at the Grapevine because of fog and snow and I am unable to return to work up North.

The rain and cold weather is supposed to last through tomorrow.

They may not see me at work until Wednesday at this rate!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I bet they are sorry you can't come in Lynn, but I hope you enjoy the unexpected mini vacay. :D

Take care and have a happy new year!
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Well, the main freeways that connect Northern and Southern Cal are closed due to snow. There was a suggestion I take the 101 but in pouring rain I didn't think it wise to take the route that includes two lanes in many places and lots of twists and turns. Plus ten to 12 hours in the car.

If I wait until tomorrow when I-5 is open again, I can do the drive in about 5-6 hours.

Guess which option I chose!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Thanks for filling us in on your adventures in traveling the length of California. I was awestruck by the sight of snow in Northern LA on this morning's news. Kids who never have seen it must have been thrilled. Adults less so.

Hope that the ornithologists and ichthyologists figure out why those thousands of birds and fish died in Arkansas over the weekend. Some theories lean toward entire flocks and schools being struck by lightning during some of the ferocious thunderstorms in the area. Or were they the proverbial canaries in the coal mine trying to get mankind to pay attention, perhaps?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Winter has finally arrived in Kansas, it's been snowing since the middle of the night, light snow, but snow just the same. Accumulation of 6-8 inches expected by tonight. Have I ever mentioned I HATE WINTER AND SNOW AND SHOVELING AND SWEEPING AND DRIVING IN IT??? thank you, I needed to say that...... :shock: :roll: :shock: :roll:

maybe it has something to do with the miserable loss the Chiefs suffered at the capable hands of the Ravens yesterday...sigh...we'll get'em next year... :cry: :cry:
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

The Chiefs had a great year. The Ravens played maybe their best game this year. At least I had fun watching it.

The NWS is thinking about 5" for us tomorrow. Will they be right?
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Big snow overnight here in Atlanta. Some freezing rain but it's all stopped pretty much, at least in my area. However, temps are not going to go above freezing this week and all the snow and slush, with its light layer of frozen rain, is frozen solid. The roads are extremely treacherous and even the buses have stopped running. Everything is closed. I don't know what my office is going to do tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure I won't be able to get my car out of the driveway and even down the road. At least the power didn't go out!
klondike

Post by klondike »

pvitari wrote:Big snow overnight here in Atlanta. Some freezing rain but it's all stopped pretty much, at least in my area. However, temps are not going to go above freezing this week and all the snow and slush, with its light layer of frozen rain, is frozen solid. The roads are extremely treacherous and even the buses have stopped running. Everything is closed. I don't know what my office is going to do tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure I won't be able to get my car out of the driveway and even down the road. At least the power didn't go out!
Good news, if it gums-up those Falcons of yours, come next Saturday!
They pummelled my Packers last time they came down for a visit last Autumn, and I'm prayin' for every edge we can get!! :|