'Round the World Weather Report

Chit-chat, current events
feaito

Re: 'Round the World Weather Report

Post by feaito »

I flew from Atlanta just in time....on Friday 7th ....and arrived in Santiago on Sat 8th...had such a great time in Raleigh-Durham, Greenville, Atlanta, Fort Benning and Columbus...Loved those places!
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Klondike... Falcons... who.. what? OK, just joking, but I pay no attention to football! ;)

Feaito, next time you're in Atlanta, let me know when you're coming! My marido y yo hablamos español tambien! What, were you on a tour of military bases...?

The snow and freezing rain didn't last as long as expected, but they did a major dump on the area. In my immediate area, two-three inches, which is huge. Farther out, lots more. The real problem is the roads. All the snow and slush are frozen solid and it's one great huge ice rink out there. The roads are a major hazard right now and they're telling everyone to stay home as much as possible on Tuesday too. In fact, my office has already announced it will be closed on Tuesday, thank goodness. But I think it will have to open again on Wednesday and I'm going to need supplies by then too, and I'm worried about driving on Wednesday because the temps are going to be Arctic all week long and nothing is going to thaw for several days. I hate taking buses, it takes forever and you have to wait for them in the horrible cold. There used to be an express bus that went from about a block to my house directly to my office but that route was eliminated thanks to budget cuts.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

good luck, Paula! Remember, NOTHING is worth a fall on the ice......
feaito

Post by feaito »

Hi Paula, we stayed three days in Atlanta and I loved your city! We stayed at the Atlanta Sheraton and spent New Year having dinner at the Ritz Carlton with my in-laws...my brother in law is a Colonel who's been invited to teach at Whinsec Academy in Fort Benning and they live there now.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

fffffffffifteen bbbbbbbelowwww wwwwind ch ch chill tonight.......I HATE WINTER! My water pipes froze at 2:30pm today, thank heavens I was home, grabbed the hair dryer and got it going again within about 10 minutes.... i hate winter
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh my gosh! I am thinking warm thoughts of you tonight!
Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

Facts I just heard:

49 of 50 States have snow on the ground somewhere in each State. Only Florida does not. Hawaii does.

Atlanta has only 8 snow plows. New York City has 1600.

Bloomfield, New Jersey is 12 miles from Midtown New York City and already recorded 30" of snow with 16 more inches forecast for tonight. Reaching for a record, remember this is not big snow country and the winter is just starting.

Over 10,000 flights were recently cancelled because of this latest nationwide storm.
Uncle Stevie

"Great Marriages Are Made In Heaven,
So Is Thunder and Lightning"
klondike

Post by klondike »

Just another Winter in Vermont.
Been snowing here since midnight; we've been getting an inch an hour pretty darn steady since, on top of our standing 10", and it's expected to go on til about supper-time.
Being genetically frugal, we'll start running the town ploughs & sanding trucks around 3 pm.
Good day to break out those picture puzzles, and keep an eye on the woodstove.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Shoveling 12 inches of snow that fell over night is hard. It's great packing snow, but that makes it chunky to shovel. We expect another 6 and a half inches today, but that will be a breeze in comparison.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

We received nature's unasked-for gift of six more inches of the white stuff overnight and it is expected to keep on going through Thursday morning. It looks beautiful, though trying to do mundane tasks like taking the garbage to the curb can be an adventure in itself as the wind blows about 25 miles an hour. God bless the plow drivers, garbage collectors, and mailpersons who somehow continue to help make life feasible by just doing their job.

A good day for movie watching!
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

WOO-HOO, we're havin' a heat wave! it's 7 above. I know the NorthEast is being slammed, so I can't whine too loudly...stay safe and warm, everyone!!!

i hate winter
klondike

Post by klondike »

moirafinnie wrote:God bless the plow drivers, garbage collectors, and mailpersons who somehow continue to help make life feasible by just doing their job.
Good call, Moira, they indeed put it on the line when the weather goes sideways!
But let's all please save a pinch of a prayer for the flaggers who are out all across the northern US & Canada, doing an already risky job now under double-jeopardy conditions.
Myself, I have 9 teams of certified traffic controllers out today, all over the state, battling the weather, the cold, and distracted/reckless drivers as they protect the on-road utility crews endeavoring to patch this mess back together again . . so far, 3 of them have been struck by sliding cars & SUV's, though no-one's been seriously hurt. :|
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

Nine inches of snow fell overnight in Manhattan. I tried to go to work today, had ordered car service, but the bank of snow between the sidewalk and the street was too much for me to get over. I asked for a vacation day. Tomorrow should be all right if I leave early.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

golly, I feel pretty small, complaining about the snowfall here, when so many of you have really been slammed hard.

PT, remember: Nothing but NOTHING is worth a fall on ice. BE CAREFUL.

Wendy, it sounds like you are really being hit hard with this 'snowpocalypse'. And Klonny and Moira...I hope you are warm and safe! In fact, here's hoping and praying we all make it safely to Spring.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

After days and days of 40 degree weather and rain here in Baghdad by the Bay, today the sun came out and it was 10 degrees warmer.

But, it is all fleeting because weather reports say the rain returns tomorrow.

Oh joy.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese