WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

judith:

I feel sorry for any 'junior' whose dad is a swinging star. Dino Martin committed suicide didn't he?, also Brando's son? I would guess it would be hard for any young guy to try to compete with a dad who all the girls adored at one time or another, especially if he's now old enough to be the girls fathers or grandfathers.

Movieman1957:

I also loved the way the Queen kept cussing under her breath so nobody would hear. As a person who never fell under the "Diana Aura", I always felt for the family except Charles - what a nerd!!! I used to get so angry at headlines about her and what she was doing - I would have preferred headlines about the President and First Lady. Diana knew how to get ol' Charlie, she just didn't know how to keep him, so I didn't feel any sympathies for her when he dumped her. I liked the line that Tony Blair had near the end when he said something to the effect that 'the Queen has spent her lifetime living for the people, yet in the last couple of years Diana did all she could to tear all those good years down'. I'm surprised the British people couldn't see that.

stuart:

Okay, give it to me with both barrels. Did you see the movie? You would be the best critic on this board as to how Mirren came across and why the Brits were so captivated by 'Di'.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Here's this Brits honest opinion.

I've never seen The Queen. One because I think it trivialises her and what she does and has done, I don't mean to say the film shouldn't have been made and I have no problem with anyone else enjoying it, to me she is a great and noble lady who has put the country first all of her life and I don't want to see her portrayed by anyone on film whilst she is still alive.

Secondly, I couldn't watch anything that has Tony Blair in it. It was bad enough having to put up with him as Prime Minister for ten years without seeing him on film too. He wasn't above using the Queen or Diana's death for his own personal ends at the time. His wife thought it was beneath herself to courtesy to the Queen. How common.

Thirdly, the country went into mourning, completely out of character when Diana died. Stirred up by the government and the media. It was sad and it was a shock, this beautiful young woman had died leaving two young sons. I watched her funeral with tears in my eyes and during the last few years of her life I was no fan.

Lastly, this country is split between the people who think that Diana could do no wrong, the minority in my opinion. My opinion is that she had a caring side to her personality and a warmth that the British public took too. She had the makings of the Princess of fairytales but she had her own demons which were a result of her being abandoned by her mother as a small child. For a few years she was the darling of the country then it became apparent that she was a manipulator and liked to use the press and friends to her own ends, like the Andrew Morton book. I was aghast when she gave an interview to Panorama. She had no respect for the monarchy, her children's future. If she had she wouldn't have flaunted her last romance with Dodi.

The saddest thing to come out of Diana's death was the fund that was created in her memory to do the good works for which she was most well known, it squandered such a lot of that money on fighting the Franklin Mint and losing. Who was instrumental in running this fund, Gordon Brown.

Not all of us fell under the Diana 'aura' and I've yet to come across anyone other than Al Fayed who thinks she was murdered. If she'd have worn her seatbelt, she'd have lived.

I hope I've answered your question Mrsl. Stuart may have a different opinion.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

I went to see The Queen when it came out because I like Helen Mirren a lot. I had the pleasure to see her on the stage in Mourning Becomes Electra where she was truly magnificent. This film sounded to me like an interesting picture as it was directed by Stephen Frears. I actually enjoyed the film a lot. I thought it was quite daring to make a film about living people. Something I must admit not a single French producer who dared to do. As for personal opinion about the various protagonists, it doesn't really matter. I went to see a fiction played with actors. All I can say is that it was a good movie extremely well acted, particularly by Mirren who managed this 'impossible role', brilliantly IMO. :wink:
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

CCFan:

The movie made it obvious that Mrs. Blair didn't fancy a curtsey(?) and grudgingly did it. She was no fan of the Queen, at least from the movie's perspective.

I never got the hype over Diana either. Of course being over here it was certainly different but she had her legions in America. She was a person. She was subject to the same troubles and character flaws as anyone else. Maybe that was part of her appeal. What little I knew (I hardly sought information about her) is she, in some cases, didn't do herself any favors. But she was not to be left alone. The people were consumed by her which only made the press more ambitious for every little thing.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
charliechaplinfan

It's true about the press, she fanned the flames when she wanted to be seen out and about and then ran from them and complained. I do have some sympathy. She sold more papers than the rest of the Royals put together, so was constantly sought out. She planted plenty of her own stories. When the princes were growing up there were rules laid down governing how much access the press had to them. Now they are adults we can only wait and see how they turn out. I hope they'll help the Queen and Prince Charles strengthen the monarchy. I hope in turn William makes a good king.

As you can see I'm quite a traditionalist and a monarchist. The future of the monarchy is something that will be debated from time to time.

My husband has the opposite view, one of the few things we don't agree on.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I have part of an American newspaper from when George VI died. It's quite a spread for the its day. Lots of pictures of Elizabeth and some old photos of George. I had forgotten he was relatively young. Interesting bit of history from our view.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
charliechaplinfan

We were only talking about him the other day. Hubby and I were sorting our various kings and queens into good, bad and indifferent. George VI fell into the good.

Our daughter is called Libby but her christened name is Elizabeth. Lo and behold when she started school she told everyone how she was now Elizabeth much to our surprise. When asked about the change. It's the Queen's name . Can't argue with that :D

This was around the same time she told me that when she grew up she wouldn't make the same mistake I did when choosing a husband. I was somewhat perplexed until she told me that she would only marry a prince who woke her up with a kiss.

Back to films.

I watched Ball of Fire last might for the first time. What a joy. It's superb. Barabara Stanwyck as a nightclub singer called Sugarpuss and Gary Cooper playing a professor called Bertram Potts 'Pottsy'. Sugarpuss is helping Prof Potts because she needs to hide out from the law. She stays in the house were the professors are writing a dictionary figuring nobody will look for her there. Along the way she falls out of love with her hoodlum boyfriend and in love with 'Pottsy'. Could this film by better than The Lady Eve, it's a close call.

I've always liked Barbara Stanwyck although I haven't seen many of her films.

Gary Cooper has shot up in my estimation recently after seeing Design For Living too. I was labouring under the impression that he was a pretty face who was more suited to the Western genre. He's a superb Potts. Getting all steamed up about Sugarpuss trying to ignore her feminity while the rest of the professors abandon their usual orderly lives. All sending their trousers to be pressed and learning to dance by marking the steps out on the floor. The professors are excellently cast 'Cuddles' Sakall, Tully Marshall and a host of other character actors. They are extremely niave in matters of the flesh and the world at large. They manage to pull one over on the hoodlums using a mixture of their knowledge.

A wonderful film 10 out of 10
Synnove

Post by Synnove »

CCfan wrote:
I've never seen The Queen. One because I think it trivialises her and what she does and has done, I don't mean to say the film shouldn't have been made and I have no problem with anyone else enjoying it, to me she is a great and noble lady who has put the country first all of her life and I don't want to see her portrayed by anyone on film whilst she is still alive.
I can understand your last point, that it might feel strange to see her portrayed in a film about such recent events. I don't think that The Queen trivializes Queen Elisabeth as a person, or what she does, though. In fact, the whole point of the movie and Helen Mirren's characterization seems to be to prove the opposite. When you watch this film you get a view of her character that is pretty similar to yours. My parents are strongly anti-monarchist, and even they thought so.

The way Prince Philip and Prince Charles are portrayed, is another matter.

Continuing with the queen theme, I saw Roman Holiday recently. That's another movie which takes a respectful stance to the duties of a monarch (or a crown princess), but at the same time it exposes how inhumane the system can be. I liked how the camera dwelled on the overly decorate bedstead with the cupids and the gold. It's very artificial, far too much. Other than that, it's a film that celebrates life. I'm quite a fan of Audrey Hepburn. This was her first big role, and she pulled it off wonderfully.
feaito

Post by feaito »

I watched a forgettable fluff titled "The Golden Blade" (1953) with Piper Laurie & Rock Hudson. Arabian Nights kind of film. Amusing but trivial.
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

Yesterday was the ultimate lazy day for me in which I slept through most of the day but I did watch one movie.

Blood Money (1933)

I dunno what it is with early 20th Century Fox movies but they never seem to capture my full attention. That being said this was actually a pretty good film. It's the epitome of a pre-code film and is quite ribald in its showcasing of the more seedy aspects of people and their lives. George Bancroft plays a corrupt bail bondsman who gets caught up with a society girl (very sexy Frances Dee) who he eventually dates if only to get close to the influence of her father but he also helps out his mistress/girlfriend's brother who's a casual crook. Nonetheless Bancroft gets doublecrossed by the two as they strike up a relationship.

That's all I'll say about that but I will say that the movie was pretty fascinating in its depiction of these people especially Bancroft who's utterly corrupt but is presented in a positive light in some aspects.

I'd say this movie was a 2 1/2 out of 5 stars.
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

So, Friday night, here in Indiana, we had amazingly severe weather, including a tornado that touched down not three miles from my house. We found out the hard way that the new roof we’d had put on last June looks better then it functions, as we had a deluge in our dinning room, with rain pouring in like water from a faucet. Without power, Saturday was spent cleaning up that mess, and starting to clear all the fallen trees (throughout the area, huge, well-established trees, were simply uprooted. And that was the good news.) The power back, Sunday evening I made a nice dinner, popped a bottle of French rosé, and asked my wife what movie she’d like to watch, figuring a fun, relaxing comedy like The Lady Eve or My Man Godfrey. Twenty years of marriage should have prepared me for her answer: Twister.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Gosh, Michigan, I'm sure glad you and your family are ok. Living in Kansas, you'd think we would be used to tornadoes, but huh-uh!. My work lost a building in the storms of May 1, and we are still dealing with the fall-out from that. I posted pictures here http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis/viewtopic.php?t=2112,
but work losses are nothing compared to damages to your home. I'm so glad you still have a sense of humor about this, sometimes it's a real struggle to smile, isn't it? Thanks for sharing your "good" news!

Nancy

Your wife and I share enthusiasm about "Twister"...one of my favorite movies! :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I liked "Twister" when I saw it when it first came out. Haven't seen it lately.

Does anyone else think that it took its romance plot from "His Girl Friday"?
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Bogie wrote:Yesterday was the ultimate lazy day for me in which I slept through most of the day but I did watch one movie.

Blood Money (1933)

I dunno what it is with early 20th Century Fox movies but they never seem to capture my full attention. That being said this was actually a pretty good film. It's the epitome of a pre-code film and is quite ribald in its showcasing of the more seedy aspects of people and their lives. George Bancroft plays a corrupt bail bondsman who gets caught up with a society girl (very sexy Frances Dee) who he eventually dates if only to get close to the influence of her father but he also helps out his mistress/girlfriend's brother who's a casual crook. Nonetheless Bancroft gets doublecrossed by the two as they strike up a relationship.

That's all I'll say about that but I will say that the movie was pretty fascinating in its depiction of these people especially Bancroft who's utterly corrupt but is presented in a positive light in some aspects.

I'd say this movie was a 2 1/2 out of 5 stars.
I saw only the first 15 minutes or so of Blood Money; what struck me most was the glamorous and sexy Judith Anderson - I had never seen her like that before!
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

Nancy,

Your pictures look all too familiar. Here, the storm was so slow moving, my wife and I literally watched the TV radar for hours, just battening down the hatches, waiting for it to get here already, and then leave. Before it knocked out our power, the TV news showed an apartment building, where much of the second floor had dropped to the first. Somehow, miraculously, nobody was killed, but the footage, and being able to see an entire young person’s room (because the wall outside wall was gone), with a Gene Simmons poster and guitar hanging on the interior wall was heartbreaking. Makes a hole in the roof and water damage rather insignificant...

Since we have no basement, I had to put our cats, Nick and Nora, in the pantry under the stairs. They were none-to-happy, (naturally), and when I was finally able to “spring” them, they darted to the dining room (a favorite area for them because they like to sleep on the cushions on the chairs), and were surprised (to say the least) at the “new arrangement” of furniture, not to mention all the moisture (cats and water generally don’t mix well). While Nick played the curious cat, gently touching the wet carpet with his paw (and then quickly lifting it up, licking his damp pads, and then repeating), Nora (the ‘fraidy cat of the two), simply fled upstairs and hid under the bed. She didn’t reemerge until Sunday night, crawling on my lap just in time for Helen Hunt to exclaim, “Cow.” Both my wife and I said at the same time, “Cat.” You need the goofy humor, to get through these things....

Kevin