WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
feaito

Re: WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by feaito »

My father lend to me the Blu Ray edition of "Les Misérables" (2012), a film I had no intention to see. I can say that in some way I enjoyed watching the film and that I was impressed by its monumental mise-en-scene, as well as by Jackman's and Hathaway's performances. Samantha Barks, who plays the doomed Eponine, caught my attention as well. One of the things that bothered me was that some important sequences of the story passed too quickly and that its last portion (when Cosette is a grown-up woman) is highlighted in detriment of the rest of the story. Russell Crowe has a very good voice, but his impersonation of Javert did not appeal to me. I'm glad that I saw it, but it's not my cup of tea.

I also saw three short films by Jean Vigo: "A Propos de Nice" (1930), "Taris" (1931) and "Zéro de Conduite" (1933). Very interesting and ahead of their time, especially the latter which depicts the miseries that a group of boys endure in a boarding school. Still, my favorite Vigo film is "L'Atalante" (1934), IMO his masterpiece.

Lastly but not leastly, I watched "Always Goodbye" (1938) a melodrama whose level is lifted or elevated by Barbara Stanwyck's unique talent. This film was an absolute surprise for me and a complete delight to watch. Stany plays an unwed mother who gives her son in adoption; then she becomes rich and wants her kid back. Her unique artristry is beyond words; what she does with this oft-repeated story is masterful. Every single scene works and is credible due to her skilled performance. Herbert Marshall plays her sort of platonic love (a thankless role for him); Binnie Barnes is her mentor and friend at a Fashion House; Johnnie Russell is her son (he's truly cute and has fine chemistry with her, which is pivotal for the film's success); Lynn Bari is a bitchy woman (perfect); Ian Hunter, her kid's adoptive parent and César Romero performs perfectly the role of a debonair, shallow Italian Count who pursues Stany all over the place. You can watch this film on youtube. The movie is a remake of Ann Harding's 1934 "Gallant Lady" which I haven't seen.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Les Mis was the one film this year that I didn't get to see, but wanted to. The preview made it look fantastic, so I felt like I really missed out on it... but focusing on Cosette when there are big guns like Jackman, Hathaway, and Crowe around seems unfortunate. Now I'm glad I chose to see the other films I did, rather than spend the money on Les Mis. Was the play like that? focusing on Cosette, I mean?
feaito

Post by feaito »

JackFavell wrote:Les Mis was the one film this year that I didn't get to see, but wanted to. The preview made it look fantastic, so I felt like I really missed out on it... but focusing on Cosette when there are big guns like Jackman, Hathaway, and Crowe around seems unfortunate. Now I'm glad I chose to see the other films I did, rather than spend the money on Les Mis. Was the play like that? focusing on Cosette, I mean?
Perhaps the play is like that. I dunno.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

The women were great in Westward the Women, it's a film I'll revisit and no doubt will get a lot more out of it, most of the women were unknown to me but all very good. What hit home the most for me was a new Robert Taylor or at least a Taylor I hadn't seen before, I've seen him playing young romantic lovers and I've seem him playing hardened criminals but I hadn't seen him as a cowboy, if he made more Westerns I might like them more than I do.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

There were several westerns. He plays an Indian that served with honors in the Civil War in "Devil's Doorway." He plays a marshal in "The Law and Jake Wade." "Saddle The Wind" and "The Last Hunt" are other pretty good westerns he made. "Devil's Doorway" is the best among them.

No surprise he did several because everyone was making westerns. Well, almost everyone.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

:oops:
[u][color=#0000BF]JACK[/color][/u] [u][color=#0000BF]FAVELL[/color][/u] wrote:I really LOVE Mr. and Mrs. Smith, but I actually like Three Loves Has Nancy as well, just because it's 3 good actors working from a ridiculous script. I think they're all good, and I especially like the slow burn of Robert Montgomery who we know is going to miss his train as soon as he says, "I've never missed a train in my life and I'm not going to miss it now."
I'm shocked and chagrined that I had never even heard of the "...Nancy" movie before TCM aired it the other day. I did like how equal in comic temperament Montgomery & Tone were. I believed them as friends. But I don't think I'm warming up to Janet Gaynor, I'm afraid. She's in my Helen Hayes category of "What the hey, how did you ever ---" Oh, and speaking of TRAINS:

THAT is what I saw the day of my visit. :evil:
I completely understand your feelings though, about BOTH movies, they can be annoying or simply not too funny, but I find they just tickle me, more so with each successive viewing. I think there are some comedies that actually work BETTER when you know what's coming, and these both work on that level for me. When I was younger, I couldn't get my mind around Mr. and Mrs. Smith at all, I didn't like it. Now I find it hilarious, especially Gene Raymond drunk. I love that Carole is doing her best to get mauled by him, but he refuses to act as anything but a perfect gentleman. All she really wants is a guy who'll try something like Robert Montgomery but she's fighting it tooth and nail. They break up because of those little things that drive us all crazy with our partners.
I want everyone to like the movie that they like, so this is a good thing. As I was watching/listening to the movie, I saw so many ways the film could be streamlined. ( I love fade-outs in movies and they were used to good effect there. ) Maybe I wanted Cary Grant to have the Robert Montgomery part, and Robert Montgomery to have the Gene Raymond part...but with Montgomery's bite & vinegar. I dunno. Look, I'm no Frances Marion. ( "I'm Toni Marachek, good kid." ( Ha! ) Where I get off thinking I can do better than Hitchcock and his writers is beyond me. :roll:
What if I left every time I told Andrew I was ticked off at him? I can see this happening, that he didn't ask again after being through marriage with me. :D I like how babyish they both are....no one else would put up with them! And the truth is, the more we love our partners, the more annoyed we become with them. At least most of the time. Maybe the attraction is the same as the flare of annoyance?
Food for thought. But it's a lot of compromise throwing your life in with another human being. I never mastered it.

[u][color=#0040BF]KING[/color][/u] [u][color=#0040BF]RAT[/color][/u] wrote:Ack! Maven, I'm just like your friend in not liking MY FAVORITE WIFE. To me it's a Stupid White People movie, a phrase from drive-in movie critic Joe Bob Briggs, as in, "Nobody behaves this way except Stupid White People." I also hate the last fifteen minutes of the film where Irene Dunne decides to punish Cary Grant by withholding her affection until she decides he's suffered enough. Maybe she has more in common with Gail Patrick than we've been led to believe?
S.W.P.??? << Spit-take! >> Oh Lord. I'd better use those as just initials. I understand the movie conventions of the time but the “make sure he’s suffered enough” tract is a lot for me to swallow if I can't get it down properly.
By the way, I think the film slyly alludes to the relationship between Grant and Randolph Scott, which was common knowledge in Hollywood. Watch the scene where Cary sees someone--at first we don't know who he's seeing. Then we see he's watching the very handsome Randy diving and swimming. I think Cary looks very uncomfortable in the scenes he has with Randy in the movie.
You think the discomfort stems from their “relationship” ( was that ever proven beyond a shadow of a doubt? ) or is it part of the character's: "...you spent seven years on an island with my wife and you don’t look like Donald Meek!" Are you sure you’re seein’ what you think you’re seein’ Brother Rat?

[u][color=#400080]RED[/color][/u] [u][color=#400080]RIVER[/color][/u] wrote:I don't get fully taken in by this one ["Mr. & Mrs. Smith”] either. It's not the silliness I object to. It's just not all that funny. The exquisite Ms. Lombard is a joy to watch in anything. But Hitchcock's only comedy is an effort with mixed results.
I agree Red. And it was nice watching Lombard as well. I have a feeling ( and I probably read it somewhere ) that Hitchcock wasn't really enthused about doing this film. But at least he had the best in the business for that type of genre by scoring Lombard & Montgomery.

[u][color=#4040BF]FEAITO[/color][/u] wrote:I haven't seen "Three Loves Has Nancy" (1938), but I do remember not enjoying so much "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" (1941) the first time I saw it; found it somewhat unfunny. Only when I watched it for a second time I enjoyed it more and I think that it might be the case of an "acquired taste", just like wine and sea-urchin roe
Wine and sea-urchin roe...sounds tasty to me. I might have to just leave the Smiths alone...perhaps just focus on Lombard. A friend told me this is the last movie Lombard made that was released during her life time. Bittersweet.
And of course when I watched it for the first time I wanted badly to like it (the combination of Hitchcock, Lombard and Montgomery beforehand seemed irresistible and winner all the way...).
Glad you liked it better with that subsequent viewing. That combination did sound like a winner to me. The film was hopefully successful for all involved.
Another Classic comedy which I wanted to like, but I found very unfunny and unappealing was Lubitsch´s "That Uncertain Feeling" (1941) with Merle, Burgess and Melvyn....sad.
I shall take your ringing endorsement to heart...and avoid it at all costs...like I did "Les Miserables." :shock:
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Back to Robert Taylor westerns, there was one about the railroad. Expansion, resistance. Typical conflicts. Not bad, but nothing about it stands out. Including the title. I forgot it!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Devil's Doorway is absolutely great. Probably my favorite performance by Taylor. The Last Hunt shows some very good acting by Taylor as well. They are pretty much opposite roles from one another. I think he's divine in Westward the Women, though, tough and just plain fascinating to watch.
I'm shocked and chagrined that I had never even heard of the "...Nancy" movie before TCM aired it the other day. I did like how equal in comic temperament Montgomery & Tone were. I believed them as friends. But I don't think I'm warming up to Janet Gaynor, I'm afraid. She's in my Helen Hayes category of "What the hey, how did you ever ---"
I am a big Janet Gaynor fan, but this is not her high point and in fact she retired almost directly after making this movie. She was typecast as a good girl from day one, so her range is small, but I think she is a first rate actress within that scope. It's so very hard to play the nice girl, and to do it, as she and Mary Pickford did before her, perfectly, for fifteen years - well that's an accomplishment. It's OK for us to have different takes on the same actress. I was thinking Joyce Compton in the role too while listening to the movie in the background.

What Gaynor films have you seen so far?
Oh, and speaking of TRAINS:

THAT is what I saw the day of my visit. :evil:
LATE LATE LATE

yeah, I hear ya. But I think we're lucky because a few days later there was a train crash here in CT. It could have been a lot worse.
I want everyone to like the movie that they like, so this is a good thing. As I was watching/listening to the movie, I saw so many ways the film could be streamlined. ( I love fade-outs in movies and they were used to good effect there. ) Maybe I wanted Cary Grant to have the Robert Montgomery part, and Robert Montgomery to have the Gene Raymond part...but with Montgomery's bite & vinegar. I dunno. Look, I'm no Frances Marion. ( "I'm Toni Marachek, good kid." ( Ha! ) Where I get off thinking I can do better than Hitchcock and his writers is beyond me. :roll:
you've got me positively drooling, thinking of Cary in the RM role, and RM in the GR role (I just realized Gene Raymond and Gilbert Roland have the same initials. Hard to believe :shock: ). Montgomery can be too sour and pickle-y in comedies sometimes, that I am quite in agreement about. But I am always going to give the comedies my heart, because that's where I started out in classic film. I like finding these unknown films, and sometimes they are great, like Midnight, and sometimes they deserve to be unknown. :D I watched, or tried to watch My Life With Caroline yesterday, and I have to tell you, despite liking every person in the whole cast, I literally had to turn it off after the first 45 minutes. Probably because I was waiting for GR (Gilberto) to come back. I can't believe I got even that far...it was NOT my cup of tea.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I had to look at IMDB to check out Janet Gaynor's filmography. ( Ooooh, that's not a good sign. ) I have seen:

* "Sunrise"
* "A Star Is Born"
* "Nancy Has Three Loves"

I saw that train wreck. Whew! ...It can always be worse.

CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

This won't be on TCM, but I am very curious to see Michael Douglas play Liberace on HBO this Sunday night in "Behind the Candelabra" featuring Matt Damon. Debbie Reynolds also stars as Liberace's mother.

CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I ran into Esther Ralston this morning in "Sadie McKee." Amayyzing. She is so very very modern. I don't know how Joan Crawford or anybody else stood a chance.

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Did you see Sadie McKee on youtube? It's a movie I've always wanted to see.

edited:

Oh, geez! It was on this morning! I thought they were doing Harold Lloyd all day today too! Dang.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Oh man! Listen kid, check this out and plan your day around it:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.html

...Save yourself from a lot of smacks on the forehead!

Try & watch Liberace if you have HBO.

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I did look at the sched last night, just read it wrong- there was this list a mile long of Harold L. movies, and I just thought that it extended into today. I should have known they were shorts and they take up more room on the sched.

D'oh!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

And the shorts I saw were only about 9 minutes.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."