WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
JackFavell

Re: WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by JackFavell »

Oops! I'm sorry you didn't like it, Chris! Oh man, maybe I'm way off the beam with this movie!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u][color=#4040BF]JACK[/color][/u] [u][color=#4040BF]FAVELL[/color][/u] wrote:I did watch both Libeled Lady and Easy to Wed - I liked both of them very much. I've seen them both before, but Libeled Lady has grown on me over the years. I watched for Powell and Tracy, instead of the couples this time, because of your review from the festival, and you are right, its a master team - each one giving focus to the other at the appropriate moments. Delightful! And I love those Technicolor films like Easy to Wed - it was well cast, with Lucy I think, standing out from the cast. In some ways, she might even be better cast than Harlow in this role. I totally saw her as this character. ANd the costumes? to die for!
Hello JaxxXxxon...I watched "Libeled Lady" last night on The Essentials, and Thursday afternoon. I hope to post later on tonight ( or maybe a post to greet you in the morning, after you get the hubby and l'il kidling off to work and school :lol: ) to make my case for Harlow over Lucy as Gladys in that movie. Hey, I like apples and oranges.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Hey, I like them both, NOT dissing Harlow! But I do like Lucy a LOT as Gladdie. She holds her movie together, I find her the best of the cast, and maybe it's because they are so different, I find I can't compare the two films, both are good in their own wacky way.

I watched LL again last night, and I've decided my favorite scene is the one between Powell, Tracy and Harlow, when they are setting up the fake marriage situation. Harlow and Powell are really hilarious, I like them so much together - Gladdie steps up to the plate and pours it on thick: "Oh, Billykins! There's a telegram for you...." "Oh, BILL!!! No, It can't be! Oh no... Not tonight! It's from the OFFICE!" I love the way she says Awe-fiss. The byplay between the real and the fake couple really cracks me up - Powell kissing her rather passionately on the lips as the elevator closes, Tracy tapping him irritatedly on the back to let them know no one is watching anymore,cut it out... her taking Tracy's arm as she walks back into the room, leaving Powell standing there by himself. Then later when the porters are watching, the same thing all over again, Harlow twisting her head so she can bite Powell on the hand, and then he rears back and makes like he's going to hit her.... well it's just wonderful the way these three set everything up for each other. It's like playing together, not acting and it's fun and catching.

Harlow is just wonderful - the way her emotions spill over into everything, well NO one can give as much as Harlow. She's a woman scorned, and is a positive hornet's nest from her first entrance, on a mission through the office in her wedding dress to find the perpetrator of the injustice, her husband to be. She and Tracy are evenly matched, as are Powell and Loy. But Harlow is where the action is - SHE'S the one who changes most, opening up to show the softer, despairing girl behind the waspish woman. I love the scene at breakfast when Bill catches her fancy... all the way through this movie, it only takes one little act to make someone fall in love, change their opinion - with Connie, it's Powell's slam of her behavior. With Gladys, it's Powell NOT putting the moves on her when he could have. Reticence is a man's best friend.

You know Myrna is my favorite actress, she's so smart, but then she's gorgeous too. Her gowns are superb, but what I really love is that riding jacket. One day I will get one of those, and maybe a horse to match. In fishing gear she STILL looks divine and oh so feminine. But what I really like in her performance is the moment when Powell tells her off. He's got a chip on his shoulder from the moment he comes up on the deck and sees her, standing elegantly alone. She's ready to torment him some more, play the flame to his moth, but then he tells her that he actually prefers the company of the annoying passengers to hers. He refuses to be just another moth. She startles for a moment, then tries to get back her equilibrium by continuing to condescend to him. But he slams her for thinking too highly of herself. I love the way he takes her 'dainty' hand and removes it from his person. Then he walks away. Her bluster disappears, and self awareness takes it's place. She's rocked by his words. You can see every little feeling on Myrna's face - shock, then a thought to try and justify herself - but in the end she's just left mute and stunned.

Powell to me, anyway, is the true star of the film - he's just fantastic here, playing every possible moment for all it's worth. Another favorite moment: Bill has been let in to the Allenbury's private life, and finds a very different Connie - she has just been protecting herself from people like him and is a sensitive woman underneath, a girl, who just wants some privacy so she can let loose. He has a dilemma now, to go through with what he planned to save Tracy and the paper, or build on his new allegiance to the tender Connie he's just discovered. I LOVE the scene between them at night, after the swim. It's vintage Powell, he's tender, sweet, and a little rueful for his previous scheming. His feelings spill over quietly, he's genuinely surprised when she compliments him, telling her it's the nicest thing he's heard in eons. When Powell falls, he falls hard. And it's all there in his voice, and in the way he looks down, rather embarrassed by the whole new feeling. No wonder he's my favorite actor.., he just seems to do the right thing at the right time, ever the gentle man.

All this leads me to realize what this movie is all about - what is and what is not attractive to the opposite sex? According to the writers in this movie, aloofness is what draws a person in and keeps them. Kindness is a fall back position... when Gladdie has had enough of newspapers and being left behind, she falls for Bill, who sparks her with his gallantry. But it isn't gallantry at all, it's placation, and he's really remaining aloof all the time. It's kind of amazing that anyone ever gets together at all in this movie.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I watched the second half of DEAD RINGER on PBS last night. Bette Davis playing twin sisters in a psychological thriller directed by Paul Henreid. Great movie? Positively not. Fun and exciting? Thank you! That it is. Sometimes you don't have to take a movie all that seriously. Just sit back and enjoy the ride. With Bette Davis driving, it will probably be a pleasant trip.

Again, I can only react to the second half. But I have a pretty good idea what came before it. Twin A's husband dies under mysterious circumstances. Twin B envies the estate to be inherited by her estranged sister. What do you know? Sis dies under equally mysterious circumstances! Throw in loyal friend and investigator Karl Malden, dashing gigolo Peter Lawford, and a butler whose face looks exactly like a prune, and you have quite the intriguing little ensemble. This must have been a casting director's dream. Even Duke, the family dog is just the right type!

The story suffers from an utter lack of credibility. Like Superman wearing glasses, does NOBODY realize the lady of the house is not who she purports to be? (That's not entirely accurate. Duke isn't fooled for a minute!) If you can buy into that premise, and that requires some work, the suspense is effective; the pace inviting. And the acting is fine. Bette, Malden, Pretty Boy Pete, and especially Duke! Old pro's.

Mostly, I was glad to to watch a movie on public TV. No commercials. Except for TCM, this pleasure is all but unheard of. Bette Davis x 2? Anytime!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Dead Ringer is one of my favorite movies, red! We all could use a butler like that one.

Did you get to see the scene where Bette strips her dead sister of her clothes and jewelry, puts her clothes on the body and dons the dead sister's wardrobe? It's done so well, except for the fact that there's no blood. I actually LIKE Karl Malden's character in this movie! I love the twists and turns it takes in order to get Bette to see that no matter how lousy her own life was, her dead sister with the money had a worse one, but of course by the time she realizes it, it's too late. Good acting, good directing make this one a must see for me every time. Wasn't Peter Lawford an absolute stinker? He's so effective it makes me think his real life might have been closer to this character. :D
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I missed the "identity switch" scene. Tuned in right about the time Maggie, I mean Edie, was being interviewd by Malden. Presumably, for the first time. Yes, I appreciate the irony in comparing the lives of the two sisters. That element carries right through to the climax in highly dramatic fashion! I knew classic movie fans would appreciate this one. I have a feeling most people would say, "How corny! How over the top!" Great! When does it start?

That Bette and her sisters. A STOLEN LIFE. (Twins again!) "Baby Jane." Isn't there another one with sibling issues? Bette should have been an only child!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I like Malden's character too. He's a real decent guy!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

RedRiver wrote:I missed the "identity switch" scene. Tuned in right about the time Maggie, I mean Edie, was being interviewd by Malden. Presumably, for the first time. Yes, I appreciate the irony in comparing the lives of the two sisters. That element carries right through to the climax in highly dramatic fashion! I knew classic movie fans would appreciate this one. I have a feeling most people would say, "How corny! How over the top!" Great! When does it start?
I'm with you all the way! Who cares if it's over the top, it's so much fun!
That Bette and her sisters. A STOLEN LIFE. (Twins again!) "Baby Jane." Isn't there another one with sibling issues? Bette should have been an only child!
The one with Olivia de Haviland, she's a bad sister, but not twins. In This Our Life I think. Now why can I remember the difference between those movies, but I can't remember the titles to Dana Andrews later movies?
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Robin Hood - Errol Flynn and Olivia de Havilland

I just enjoyed this arousing epic of breathtaking splendor of Norman and Saxons reuniting in one cause - this movie is so spectacular, breathtaking, and the costumes that they wore in this movie is elegantly inspired. I enjoyed the action, the drama, and the acting of Errol and Olivia together in splendor. And, in top notch form I may add.

Una O'Connor as Bess was a pleasant surprise, and Friar Tuck who played by Eugene Pallette was splendid as well. He also appeared in the Mark of Zorro ... pretty much the same role (but marginally different indeed) and he played it to the part. I enjoyed his performance so well that he brought much needed light humor in a subtle manner. He is so underrated as an actor.

Claude Rains and Basil Rathbone - did a great job as well. Of course another Mark of Zorro reference as well - in Basil. I was surprised to see that - He played Captain Esteban Pasquale as well as Sir Guy of Gisborne in this movie too.

Anyway, I just loved watching this splendid movie ... its stands well in the test of time and I for one find it very pleasant to watch. And, in my own opinion is the best of the best of all Robin Hood movies ever made. Including the one made in 2010 with Russell Crowe as Robin and Cate Blanchett as Marion.

I hope some of you watch this movie tonight.
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Erik,

Yes, I watched it again for the 'hundredth' time... An exaggeration, of course....

It does stand the test of time; and whenever I hear some young kid (teenager) saying that they never watch old movies, I tell them to see this one!!

Everyone in the film is a star and a good actor too - a rare commodity today.
Somebody told me at brunch last week that Vin Diesel was an 'A List Star" now and I literally screamed!! The whole restaurant came to a halt!!!!!

He will never be Errol Flynn - never, ever....

This is a great movie and one you can show to your kids and/or your grandparents too...

Larry
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

TCM showed a number of re-makes last Thursday. It’s a swell idea for a theme. It certainly makes comparisons quite stark. Actually I like apples and oranges.

It didn’t take long to discover “One Fatal Hour” ( aka “Two Against the World” ) was a remake of Edward G. Robinson’s 1931 film “Five Star Final.” Humphrey Bogart’s not as strong and dynamic a lynchpin in the proceedings as Robinson. Bogie’s a slow burn, whereas Eddie G. is a firecracker. And secretary Beverly Roberts ( sort of a Mercedes McCambridge type ) is no Aline MacMahon. ( But who is? ) “Five Star Final” was kickass.

“Libeled Lady” and “Easy To Wed” were also a pair of remakes aired that Thursday afternoon. Both films were made by M-G-M, ten years apart. If I had to choose which one I liked better, it would be the 1936 version by just a little more than a smidgen. Luckily I don’t have to choose.

There are differences in the ten years between remakes. But both films are perfectly cast for their time.

( 1936 ) Wm.Powell/M.Loy & S.Tracy/J.Harlow

The glorious shimmering gleam of black & white

* The search for Bill Chandler is done in a montage of different people

* Powell & Harlow are married ( in name only ) in the movie

* Powell sails across the Atlantic to try to entrap Loy

* Powell lies about fly fishing

* No competition for Loy’s affections

* No big musical numbers

( 1946 ) V.Johnson/E.Williams & L.Ball/K.Wynn

M-G-M’s crayon box of vibrant colors

* The search for Bill Chandler is done singly by Warren Haggerty using a telephone

* Wynn tricks Johnson and Ball and really marries them in the movie, not the pretend marriage they thought it would be

* Johnson lies about duck hunting

* A half-hearted attempt at a rival for Esther Williams' affections with that band leader. (Hey, if you really want to give Van Johnson competition throw in the swarthy, hot Latino charms of Montalban or Lamas. Hey wait...Johnson’s s’posed to WIN the girl! Nevermind. )

* Two big musical numbers as only M-G-M can do in the 40’s

“Libeled Lady” is as tight as a drum; a stream-lined laser beam of story telling from beginning to end. “Easy to Wed” is slightly bloated with those musical numbers. And I don’t mean bloated in a bad way; really I don’t. The numbers are there to show off both ladies to their gorgeous technicolor advantage. Williams is a magnificent specimen and Lucy, is just made for color with that blazing redhair and patrician looks. I love Ethel Smith and her hepcat organ playing. It tickled me to see the charity ball number with the Mexican/South American theme. Ahhh, the “Good Neighbor Policy” in full effect in the 40’s. Funny how friendly America was to them before they wanted to immigrate here en masse.

It’s crazy to make a head-to-head comparison of the cast, right? That’s like comparing apples to oranges, Ali to Louis, DiMaggio to Jeter, Sinatra to Bing...or Dino...or Nat King Cole. Awwwww, let’s go crazy. :lol:

WILLIAM POWELL / VAN JOHNSON - (( BILL CHANDLER ))

Both are good as Bill Chandler. Powell was born to wear white tie and tails, and Johnson fills out his tuxedo very nicely. He's a big guy. ( I swoon over the white or cream colored tux jackets men used to wear. Sigh!! ) They both handle light comedy well. Powell’s pitch is sophistication. He sounds upper crust. Johnson sounds a bit of a wiseass but I’ve no doubt they both are ladies men. One could dabble with any society heiress or one of the 400, and the other could bring it down a notch to simple American pleasures like dinner, dancing, ball games, and be more regular, down-to-earth.

In both films, the duck hunting/fly fishing scene goes on much too long and is not funny to me at all but for an initial chuckle. This is like a commercial break for me. But I was happy to see Powell all loosey-goosey in the water, as limber as a fish. I sometimes think he is too stiff and stuffed a shirt. Powell and Tracy have great chemistry with each other.

Powell might be too polite and mannered to get a girl in the clinches real quick. Johnson looks like he has more ease at that. He’s boyish, and makes jokes. Don’t ask me why I crack up when Lucy hurls insults at him ( “baboon” “ape” ) and Johnson says: “An ape can do anything a baboon can do.” I loved the maturity of Powell and Loy talking at the cabin; and I loved the playfulness of Johnson and Williams playing marbles; gosh they are so pretty together.

JEAN HARLOW / LUCILLE BALL - (( GLADYS ))

Whether she is a blonde or a redhead, HELL HATH NO FURY... What an entrance they both make, storming into the newspaper room. ( When Lucy enters, papers are flying. She is a hurricane. ) I felt bad for Gladys. Didn’t they try and make her seem like the bad guy by the end of this? She’s the fly in the ointment...the Shelley “A Place in the Sun” Winters albatross around Cupid’s neck. So SHE’s thwarting the Romance? Oy vey! The girl just wanted to get married.

I love Lucy but I favor Harlow’s “Gladdy” just a bit more. You need someone to toss a line better than anyone in the business, save Eve Arden? Well you’ve got two of the best of them in these films, ( Harlow & Ball ) both proven masters. The thing for me that brings Lucille Ball’s performance just a notch down from Harlow’s is Lucy’s mugging during the “Galatea” scene. Ugh! Another scene that’s a kitchen/bathroom break for me. I shouldn’t blame Lucy, maybe the scene shouldn’t have been just a little long. ( “Farewell...” )

Harlow can dial it up or tone it down at will. She could be brassy, she could modulate her tone. I think of Tracy calling her up asking if she wants to get married. She’s in a satin cloud of a bed and answers: “What do you think?” I’m thiking that’s Harlow’s real voice. I love her good natured teasing when Powell has to learn fly fishing. ( “Remember, there’s a man on second.” ) I love when she “acts.” She practices the speech she’ll say when she busts up the joint between Bill Chandler and Connie Allenbury. I liked her at the breakfast table when she just wants to talk.

Lucille Ball is fantastic too. She wears the hell out of those clothes. Her singing number may be dubbed, but Lucy can still sell a dance number. ( I just love her umbrella toss at the end of the number when it doesn’t open! ) I love her yelling and when she’s hurt. But I love love love when she and Johnson goes back to Keenan Wynn’s office to say she’s not going through with the law suit. I crack up at her diction and love how she rolls her “R”s and enuciates: “Warren.” She’s gone high-brow. She’s good natured, but she’s a redhead. Her idle runs high so don’t get her angry. Lucille Ball looks good, sounds good and sinks her teeth into this good role.

MYRNA LOY / ESTHER WILLIAMS - (( CONNIE ALLENBURY ))

No one can turn their nose up in the air like Myrna Loy. And a cute little nose it is. Loy and Esther Williams is the “straight man” in this comic fare. She’s bringing forward a lawsuit for libel. Whereas Gladdy just wants to get married, Connie Allenbury has a protective wall up. She trusts no man, thinking they’re all after her money. Myrna Loy is good. She looks divine and is properly haughty, you know, as heiressesess are. She’s frigid, no wait...frosty. Esther Williams plays Connie not quite as frosty as Loy. Maybe more stuck-up. They both get warmed by their charming leading men. There’s a regular girl underneath that shell of theirs. They both don’t really have much to do ( the Gladys role is the pivotal one. ) But they both look great doing it. Believable. Esther always seemed to be the cold one in her movies, chased and eventually warmed and won over.

SPENCER TRACY / KEENAN WYNN - (( WARREN HAGGERTY ))

Keenan Wynn is more bombastic than Spencer Tracy. And you smell a rat as soon as you see him coming. Tracy is a little subtler. But he’s just as devious and underhanded. Yeah, Tracy is the better actor, but Keenan is the better rat. I loved watching them navigate through this plot. Gladys is very clear: ”If you don’t want to marry me just say so!” They’re both willing to pimp Gladdy out at the drop of a newspaper. I liked both actors as Haggerty, but Wynn edges out Tracy because he’s so obvious. Wynn and Johnson have great chemistry together. ( "I'm bleeding. I'm bleeding. I AM bleeding!!" )

For my money, “Libeled Lady” just edges out “Easy to Wed” but really "E2W" is just a heart beat behind. I would have loved to have been on the set of either movie. They all looked like they had so much fun.

( Ooops! Correction: "Easy to Wed" was made in 1946. )
Last edited by CineMaven on June 3rd, 2013, 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Hi Wendy:
Hey, I like them both, NOT dissing Harlow! But I do like Lucy a LOT as Gladdie. She holds her movie together, I find her the best of the cast, and maybe it's because they are so different, I find I can't compare the two films, both are good in their own wacky way.
Maybe it was an exercise in futility for me to compare the movies, but hey, no one gets hurt. And I love Lucy in her movie.
I watched LL again last night, and I've decided my favorite scene is the one between Powell, Tracy and Harlow, when they are setting up the fake marriage situation. Harlow and Powell are really hilarious, I like them so much together - Gladdie steps up to the plate and pours it on thick: "Oh, Billykins! There's a telegram for you...." "Oh, BILL!!! No, It can't be! Oh no... Not tonight! It's from the OFFICE!" I love the way she says Awe-fiss. The byplay between the real and the fake couple really cracks me up - Powell kissing her rather passionately on the lips as the elevator closes, Tracy tapping him irritatedly on the back to let them know no one is watching anymore, cut it out... her taking Tracy's arm as she walks back into the room, leaving Powell standing there by himself. Then later when the porters are watching, the same thing all over again, Harlow twisting her head so she can bite Powell on the hand, and then he rears back and makes like he's going to hit her.... well it's just wonderful the way these three set everything up for each other. It's like playing together, not acting and it's fun and catching.
I know and love that scene too. You describe it well. I love when they’re pronounced married and they leave the office. Harlow takes Tracy’s arm:

Haggerty: “Take his arm.”
Gladys: “I’m taking your arm.”

:lol: HA!! :lol: I liked when Powell’s about to put his hand on Harlow’s face to give her another kiss and then he quickly moves his hand. I liked when Powell leaves on his trip and Harlow wraps her around on Tracy’s neck but the cleaning woman is watching and smiling ( future Academy Award winner, Hattie McDaniel, by the way ) and he has to pull her off him as they go back to the room, ”Now now Mrs. Chandler...” and we fade out. Funny!
Harlow is just wonderful - the way her emotions spill over into everything, well NO one can give as much as Harlow. She's a woman scorned, and is a positive hornet's nest from her first entrance, on a mission through the office in her wedding dress to find the perpetrator of the injustice, her husband to be. She and Tracy are evenly matched, as are Powell and Loy. But Harlow is where the action is - SHE'S the one who changes most, opening up to show the softer, despairing girl behind the waspish woman. I love the scene at breakfast when Bill catches her fancy... all the way through this movie, it only takes one little act to make someone fall in love, change their opinion - with Connie, it's Powell's slam of her behavior. With Gladys, it's Powell NOT putting the moves on her when he could have. Reticence is a man's best friend.

Looks like you’re making my case for me re: Harlow ( and very nicely too I might add. ) I agree, the role of Gladys is where it’s at; a roller coaster of emotion. Your line: “Reticence is a man's best friend” perfectly hits the nail on the head.
You know Myrna is my favorite actress, she's so smart, but then she's gorgeous too. Her gowns are superb, but what I really love is that riding jacket. One day I will get one of those, and maybe a horse to match. In fishing gear she STILL looks divine and oh so feminine. But what I really like in her performance is the moment when Powell tells her off. He's got a chip on his shoulder from the moment he comes up on the deck and sees her, standing elegantly alone. She's ready to torment him some more, play the flame to his moth, but then he tells her that he actually prefers the company of the annoying passengers to hers. He refuses to be just another moth. She startles for a moment, then tries to get back her equilibrium by continuing to condescend to him. But he slams her for thinking too highly of herself. I love the way he takes her 'dainty' hand and removes it from his person. Then he walks away. Her bluster disappears, and self awareness takes it's place. She's rocked by his words. You can see every little feeling on Myrna's face - shock, then a thought to try and justify herself - but in the end she's just left mute and stunned.
Yes yes, a thousand times yes and you described it so much better than I. The acting is so much better in “Libeled Lady.” Subtler. Oh yeah, that riding jacket! Well, you called dibs on it so I guess it’s yours. I’m a sporty gal, so those outfits on the horse and flyfishing, Myrna makes look tres chic. ”You should be kept under glass.” SMACK!! FTW! Don’t you dare call me a lady?? Huh? Myrna’s just a gem. I love Esther Williams and her rounded ways, not as cheddar-sharp as Myrna. I loved how they got that pool in the story to get Esther near water. Williams is no Loy, but I like her just the same.
Powell to me, anyway, is the true star of the film - he's just fantastic here, playing every possible moment for all it's worth. Another favorite moment: Bill has been let in to the Allenbury's private life, and finds a very different Connie - she has just been protecting herself from people like him and is a sensitive woman underneath, a girl, who just wants some privacy so she can let loose. He has a dilemma now, to go through with what he planned to save Tracy and the paper, or build on his new allegiance to the tender Connie he's just discovered. I LOVE the scene between them at night, after the swim. It's vintage Powell, he's tender, sweet, and a little rueful for his previous scheming. His feelings spill over quietly, he's genuinely surprised when she compliments him, telling her it's the nicest thing he's heard in eons. When Powell falls, he falls hard. And it's all there in his voice, and in the way he looks down, rather embarrassed by the whole new feeling. No wonder he's my favorite actor.., he just seems to do the right thing at the right time, ever the gentle man.
I love your description of Powell. I’ve nothing to add but my wholehearted agreement. Bill Chandler changes, Connie Allenbury changes, and Gladys changes. I think the one who changes the least is Warren. If Gladys doesn't think Warren will leave her for a story during their honeymoon...she's got another thing coming.

Again, the “Libeled Lady” cast can play those shades whereas the “Easy To Wed” cast play it just a little broader.

I toyed with the idea of re-making this movie, yet again, in this age of “Social Media.” A few years ago I'd have put:

Bill Chandler.........George Clooney
Connie Allenbury..Julia Roberts
Gladys..................Jennifer Lopez
Warren Haggerty..Vince Vaughn

I'd totally recast my recasting if I were to do it today.

I'm sorry I can't help you with those Dana movies. I have no mnemonic clues to give you. ( They are confusing, aren't they? )

Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Vecchiolarry wrote:Hi Erik,

Yes, I watched it again for the 'hundredth' time... An exaggeration, of course....

It does stand the test of time; and whenever I hear some young kid (teenager) saying that they never watch old movies, I tell them to see this one!!

Everyone in the film is a star and a good actor too - a rare commodity today.
Somebody told me at brunch last week that Vin Diesel was an 'A List Star" now and I literally screamed!! The whole restaurant came to a halt!!!!!

He will never be Errol Flynn - never, ever....

This is a great movie and one you can show to your kids and/or your grandparents too...

Larry

Well Said ... Larry
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Cheddar sharp... I love it! She is! Beautiful descriptions. I love that you compared and contrasted the two movies!

Never worry about futile mental games like these, heck, they're fun, and more importantly, they are entertaining to read.

Oooh, the recasting game.... hmm. My problem is I don't know too many of the up and coming stars. How about Ryan Gosling as Bill, and Bradley Cooper as Warren? Throw in Emma Stone and uh.... Isla Fisher? Oh heck I don't know.

Your George/Julia... Jennifer/Vince casting gave me goosebumps.... perfect! I can almost hear them in my mind's eye... or ear.

And your descriptions of E2W are glorious - first and foremost, TECHNICOLOR. Secondly, Lucy. Man, that number at the beginning was a pip, even dubbed. She was really so talented, and this was one of the few roles where she got a chance to really be LUCY. I think that's why I was bowled over by her in this version. She was just so on the mark, and it wasn't like the other comedies at this time, where she's a glamorous version of herself coming to the college prom or anything, it was a real honest to goodness character.

I do like Van/Esther. Esther was always the big prey in her movies, cool and aloof, but ultimately caught by the hero. It's easy to make fun, but these actors and actresses who played the good girls and boys really worked hard to put it over. I am more and more in awe of these studio actors who got the same role over and over and yet, you still enjoy watching them - and more importantly, you BELIEVE them.

You are right on the money about Keenan Wynn- he's a rat in capital letters... R - A - T! I think his and Johnson's relationship is more defined than the earlier two. It's that buddy thing that the studios did so well in the forties - you know, Dennis Morgan/Jack Carson, or Gable/Tracy, or Gene Kelly/Frank Sinatra - one of them is always a rat, or there would be no scrapes for them to get out of together. In the end, you know that another scrape is just waiting to happen, just in back of the THE END sign up on the screen.

And speaking of characters as animals - rats, cats and does, I see The Women coming on TCM as we speak.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Funny...I could never compare and contrast in school. Aaaah movies. They bring out the best in me.

Re-casting - I’m a little stumped myself about today's crop. I think Bradley Cooper could go either way. Ladies man or fast talking conniving rat. But let’s leave Owen Wilson or Ben Stiller outta the mix. I like your idea of Emma Stone. I think the girl’s got some range. The important piece is Gladdy. Whatever actress is cast has got to be able to go all over the map in a controlled way. I’d love to be in on working on this with some production company in Hollywood. And not like that execremental remake of “The Women.” I almost could see Halle Berry as the heiress. But I dunno if she’s got box office pull anymore.

Ooooh, you made a good point about Lucy doing something different and not just a glam version of herself in “Best Foot Forward” and the like. Lucy nailed the role of Gladys.

I forgot about the “Buddy” movie scenario. You’re right, and your examples bear that out. The chemistry of all four people in all its combinations has to be spot on. What could we use beside the duck hunting or fly fishing in this 21st century. Surfing? Handgliding? Skateboarding?

I am listening at “The Women” as I write you. I had to mute Virginia Weidler in the closet, but otherwise I’m marveling at Paulette Goddard coming on the scene. She’s so vivacious. Oooh, and there’s the Countess Delave. This whole movie is perfectly constructed. I have goosebumps at its perfection.

* “...because she is an A-1 schlmeel.”

* “No that’s the trouble with me. I didn’t pick them for character.”

* “L’amour, l’amour. Toujours l’amour.”