Noir Alley

Hibi

Re: Noir Alley

Post by Hibi »

nakanosunplaza wrote: September 25th, 2023, 3:59 pm Not interest.. revenge at a high level !
Yep!
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

ElCid wrote: September 25th, 2023, 3:15 pm
jamesjazzguitar wrote: September 25th, 2023, 12:09 pm
Hibi wrote: September 25th, 2023, 11:49 am

I meant dropped her in the film, not at the studio!
Oh, sorry. Yea, she after that initial scene Jane disappears and isn't seen again until the end. What a wasted opportunity. Funny but I just watched Ann Rutherford on Perry Mason (1959). Last week I saw her on Tells of Wells Fargo in a 1956 episode.
I think Ann Rutherford was on several Perry Masons. More of Jane Greer may have helped the movie, but I still enjoyed it anyway. As I understand it, Howard Hughes pretty much diminished Greer's career. She was great in Out of the Past and just as good in The Big Steal in a more humorous role.
Frist thing: welcome back. You were missed!

Unlike some of the others here, I also enjoyed the film. While Rutherford was sometimes a little too perky, I didn't find that annoying. Always liked Tom Conway and Rutherford and him had good chemistry in the film. I did find the plot somewhat confusing but that didn't hinder me from finding the film entertaining.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Andree wrote: September 24th, 2023, 5:33 pm A fairly entertaining, fairly routine B movie. The comedy helps a bit and the plot is convoluted enough to
keep one watching, though you'd be a pretty bad detective to not figure out that Tom and Ann would get
together in the end. I was watching Bettejane Greet to figure out who she reminded me of. In some scenes
and at certain angles, she looks a little like Hedy Lamarr.
Speaking of Noirs, saw a promo that Fear Thy Neighbor returns in October! Not sure what night. In mid-October. I forget the date. Went by too quickly.
jamesjazzguitar

This week's Noir Alley film is Whiplash (1948). This is a Warner Bros film with standard contract players Zachary Scott, Alexis Smith, Dane Clark and Eve Arden.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

I don't think I've seen that one.
jamesjazzguitar

Hibi wrote: September 26th, 2023, 11:59 am I don't think I've seen that one.
I just saw it a few weeks back on either Get-TV or MOVIES. I don't recall the film on TCM, which is odd given it is a WB film from the 40s.

Only so-so, and doesn't compare to the boxing noir United Artist put out the year before, Body and Soul with former WB star John Garfield.

Body and Soul did well at the box office so maybe WB was trying to see if they could make such a film with Dane Clark (who was called a second-rate Garfield when both were on the WB lot).
Andree

Post by Andree »

Hibi wrote: September 26th, 2023, 9:53 am
Speaking of Noirs, saw a promo that Fear Thy Neighbor returns in October! Not sure what night. In mid-October. I forget the date. Went by too quickly.
There was a FTN mini-marathon in prime time a few nights ago and I think it was Sunday night they ran one
repeat episode about the old timer who thought his neighbor ruined his lawn mower, starting drinking a lot
of beer and things didn't end up very well. Did you see the one about the bank robber and murderer, I
think it was called Manhunt. Some of the talking heads saying how organized and well-planned the robbery
was. Yep, so freakin' organized that the dope left his umbrella with his DNA on it in the bank. That cracked me
up.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Andree wrote: September 26th, 2023, 3:26 pm
Hibi wrote: September 26th, 2023, 9:53 am
There was a FTN mini-marathon in prime time a few nights ago and I think it was Sunday night they ran one
repeat episode about the old timer who thought his neighbor ruined his lawn mower, starting drinking a lot
of beer and things didn't end up very well. Did you see the one about the bank robber and murderer, I
think it was called Manhunt. Some of the talking heads saying how organized and well-planned the robbery
was. Yep, so freakin' organized that the dope left his umbrella with his DNA on it in the bank. That cracked me
up.
Yeah, I noticed that marathon, but didnt watch it. I think I've seen every episode aired so far. I did watch that show about the Xerox bank robber. I almost didnt because didnt want to invest 2 hrs on a weeknight, but it didn't drag. The son couldnt believe his father was guilty despite all the evidence. Pathetic. Was it worth killing someone to pay for one year of his son's tuition??
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: September 26th, 2023, 1:59 pm
Hibi wrote: September 26th, 2023, 11:59 am I don't think I've seen that one.
I just saw it a few weeks back on either Get-TV or MOVIES. I don't recall the film on TCM, which is odd given it is a WB film from the 40s.

Only so-so, and doesn't compare to the boxing noir United Artist put out the year before, Body and Soul with former WB star John Garfield.

Body and Soul did well at the box office so maybe WB was trying to see if they could make such a film with Dane Clark (who was called a second-rate Garfield when both were on the WB lot).

Yeah, I'm not getting my hopes up. Noir Alley has been subpar lately.
Andree

Post by Andree »

Hibi wrote: September 26th, 2023, 4:27 pm
Yeah, I noticed that marathon, but didnt watch it. I think I've seen every episode aired so far. I did watch that show about the Xerox bank robber. I almost didnt because didnt want to invest 2 hrs on a weeknight, but it didn't drag. The son couldnt believe his father was guilty despite all the evidence. Pathetic. Was it worth killing someone to pay for one year of his son's tuition??
I did watch a few I had missed the first time around. I believe I watched the last hour earlier in the night, not
realizing it was a two hour program, then watched the first hour later in the evening. All he had to do was
knock the guy out with one of his guns instead of killing him. I was amused by the subtle hints that Xerox
is not the company it was 20 years ago.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Andree wrote: September 26th, 2023, 5:06 pm
Hibi wrote: September 26th, 2023, 4:27 pm
I did watch a few I had missed the first time around. I believe I watched the last hour earlier in the night, not
realizing it was a two hour program, then watched the first hour later in the evening. All he had to do was
knock the guy out with one of his guns instead of killing him. I was amused by the subtle hints that Xerox
is not the company it was 20 years ago.
Can't believe that bystander was so foolhardy to refuse to obey the gunman's orders. I would've been the first to hit the floor!
Andree

Post by Andree »

Hibi wrote: September 26th, 2023, 5:15 pm
Can't believe that bystander was so foolhardy to refuse to obey the gunman's orders. I would've been the first to hit the floor!
The second. Yes, bad idea to mouth off to a desperate guy with two guns. I don't want to make light of
the situation, but his "disguise." Oh brother.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Andree wrote: September 27th, 2023, 12:37 am
Hibi wrote: September 26th, 2023, 5:15 pm
The second. Yes, bad idea to mouth off to a desperate guy with two guns. I don't want to make light of
the situation, but his "disguise." Oh brother.
LOL. It needed work. I saw another blurb. FYN debuts Oct. 16th. Mon. night.
Andree

Post by Andree »

Hibi wrote: September 27th, 2023, 8:10 am
Ever heard of a hoodie, dummy? I'll mark that on my calendar. I don't think that they've ever
had an episode where all the trouble started with an argument over Halloween decorations
or trick or treating. That would be funny.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Andree wrote: September 27th, 2023, 3:42 pm
Hibi wrote: September 27th, 2023, 8:10 am
Ever heard of a hoodie, dummy? I'll mark that on my calendar. I don't think that they've ever
had an episode where all the trouble started with an argument over Halloween decorations
or trick or treating. That would be funny.
I don't recall one either. Most of the episodes revolve around the same track. Noise; kids; property disputes. Every once in awhile there's a really out there episode that stands out. Some have pretty gruesome results.

He didn't need one. He had an umbrella! :D