WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
CineMaven

Re: WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by CineMaven »

Listen Alison, I hope we don't see Timothy Dalton's or Roger Moore's name written on any divorce decreeeeee. ( :wink: ) You and Chris keep raising your children and your pets and doing wha'cha doin' over there in Jolly Olde England. Agreeing to disagree is one of the hallmarks that helps marriages last longer. :mrgreen:
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

If Timothy Dalton came a calling on me, I don't know what I would do. Really. I love Andrew, but man! it's Mr. Rochester.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I've got my fingers in my ears...la la la la.....

I'll be back to read your post after I've watched my recording of R of R!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

LA LA LA! I picture you hopping about wildly, making meaningless noises!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

LA LA LA LA LA ...Of course I am.....LA LA LA LA LA....
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

Yesterday I watched "Hitler's Children" (1943) directed by Edward Dmytryk.

Here was an instance of what I expected to find in the movie and what I experienced while watching the movie were utterly different.

I had always heard "Hitler's Children" described as a near-exploitation film (and a still from the film of Bonita Granville being whipped seemed to be in every book on WWII movies.)

Instead, the movie seemed a very earnest exploration of liberty vs. totalitarianism. Goethe was quoted a lot, and the doomed romance between the Nazi-leaning boy and the American-leaning girl was invested with a near "Romeo & Juliet" feeling. Then a Catholic bishop shows up and makes some succinct points about the differences between the Christian outlook and the Nazi outlook.

If this is sleazy near-exploitation, I don't know what those terms mean.

The ending is a bit preposterous, (why not just unplug the microphone and then execute the people back in prison?) but overall I came away impressed with this movie.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Did we talk about Easy to Wed/Libeled Lady in this thread? I just realized that one of the reasons I like Lucy in Easy to Wed is that she is a showgirl. It really makes a difference in the plot to me to pit a showgirl against a monied heiress. Everything is clearer about the characters. Plus I like the double double cross of Warren foisting over a real marriage on Bill, only to have it rescinded at the end. It's a little tighter in Lucy's character background, that's all. I like Gladdie as a little more hard-bitten, it always hurts me to see Jean stranded at the alter and rejected all the time.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

We did, but hey...why not. That's a good point about the showgirl vs. the heiress. We never did know what Harlow did. She was just a blowhard behind the eightball of love. I still think her comedy was just a tish tosh too broad. But there's no doubt that Lucy can handle comedy, a line, and looks good doing it all. And you can believe Lucy'd bust up the joint. I like the marriage double double cross too and Keenan Wynn's delivery' so mockingly surprised:
BILL: "He signed it!"
GLADYS: "He signed it!"
WARREN: "He signed it?!"
Both versions of the film, 1937 1936 & 1946, were done very well and have their own individual good points. I really like your Emma Stone casting idea, for Gladdie. And Bradley Cooper could be the doublecrossing Haggerty.

( I still don't like the fly fishing / duck hunting scene. )
Last edited by CineMaven on June 14th, 2013, 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ha! Heck, it must be like that George Stevens cuffs/no cuffs thing in Swing Time that aggravates me!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Haha :) I read that about the cuffs. "Hoodlum Saint" on now. After hours of watching Esther William in color, I'm bummed to see her in B & W. But here's some trivia with that movie; it stars the stars of "Libeled Lady" and "Easy to Wed."

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Hey I never thought of that!
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

Today I watched "The Sniper" (1952) directed by Edward Dmytryk.

It started very powerfully, this film about a misogynist who becomes a sniper. The first half-hour almost seemed like the missing link between "Shadow of a Doubt" and "Taxi Driver." We see the pressure building on the guy, and then he commits his act of violence.

And then the police show up, and even if you have never seen "The Sniper" before, you have seen everything in it from all the many cop shows that have walked in its footsteps. Shrewd older cop with a dandy younger subordinate, the wise police psychiatrist, etc. etc. There were still good moments, such as when the killer throws baseballs at a woman in a "dunk tank" at a carnival, and I have to admit that the movie made great use of its San Francisco locations. Still, this is a movie that is overfamiliar through no fault of its own.

The ending/last image of the movie is startling. "The Sniper" is not a film that leaves everything tied up in a neat package, which is rather rare for its era. I'm glad I saw it, and I may watch it again sometime.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

We should mention that as "The Sniper" Arthur Franz gives what is perhaps his best performance in films.
Joseph Goodheart
Vienna

Post by Vienna »

I agree, Arthur Franz so good in The Sniper.