*CANDIDS*

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Alison,

SPOILER(S):
In the movie, "Sunset Blvd.", "Norma" (Gloria Swanson) first meets and mistakes William Holden for an undertaker. She keeps asking him if there's any laws about burying a body in the backyard....
It turns out to be her pet monkey, who's just died.
Norma Talmadge reputedly buried her pet monkey in her backyard.

Have you seen the movie? If not, then I won't tell you about the other rumour of Norma shooting Gilbert Roland in her swimming pool - she missed!!!
But. that also features in the movie with different results....

Larry
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I love Sunset Boulevard, I know the ending but I didn't know that Norma Talmadge was meant to have buried her monkey in her back garden.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
klondike

Post by klondike »

bdp wrote:That shot of Joan Blondell...whew!
Whew is right! :shock:
Must have been fairly early in her career, as later on, her knees would've been a mite farther away from her chin . . if ye ken what I speak. :wink:
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Kudos to Joan Blondell who gave us all our money's worth throughout her glorious career. Puff Puff.

Humphrey Bogart and wife #3 Mayo Methot aka 'The Battling Bogarts"

Dad Harlow Davis with daughters Barbara and star to be Bette

Robert Walker and wife Jennifer Jones rehearsing a script at home

Beauty in a red dress Audrey Hepburn on the go in 1989

Fredric March, Claudette Colbert & Cecil B. DeMille on set of "Sign of the Cross"

Movie star Glenn Ford sporting some bangs in 1991

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BETTY HUTTON Feb 26th (1921 - 2007)

Shirley MacLaine clowning with Billy Wilder on set of "The Apartment"

Joan Crawford teaching Ann Blyth to knit on the set

Van Johnson & Esther Williams chat on set of "Easy to Love"

Golden Girls Leatrice Joy, Lila Lee, Nita Naldi, Lillian & Dorothy Gish

Lovers Dick Powell & Joan Blondell taking out a marriage license in 1936

David Niven with date Merle Oberon & Norma Shearer with husband Irving Thalberg

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOANNE WOODWARD 79 on Feb. 27th.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ELIZABETH TAYLOR 77 on Feb 27th.

Laurence Olivier with beautiful wife Vivien Leigh in 1946

Andy Devine (center) with Joan Davis discussing "The Traveling Saleswoman" in 1950

Frankenstein monster (Boris Karloff) enjoys cake with Basil Rathbone on set of "Son of Frankenstein"

Actor/dancer Gene Nelson on the town with Virginia Mayo in 1987

Burt Lancaster holding Hume Cronyn in his spell in 1987

Gail Russell and husband Guy Madison on their love boat

A rare scene deleted from the classic "King Kong" in 1933...not really
Joseph Goodheart
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: *CANDIDS*

Post by moira finnie »

Love that photo of Gene Nelson, Mongo. I just saw Crime Wave (1954) yesterday and was startled to find this well known hoofer tripping the "dark fantastic" in this straight, non-musical film noir story with Nelson as an ex-con trying to be a citizen, like any other, (and not succeeding, thanks to his past, which keeps coming back to haunt him).

It was a terrific little movie crisply directed by André de Toth, and Nelson was perfectly cast as the taciturn gearhead hero married to the late, lovely Phyllis Kirk.

Btw, I think Nelson had quite a career as a director as well as a dancer and actor. One of the quotes I came across from him puts it a bit more wistfully:
I was happier directing than I've ever been doing anything else. That form of creativity is very rewarding and I liked it a lot. Both careers were incomplete. I feel unfulfilled in either one. I didn't become the star I wanted to be.
Thanks for posting this photo, friend.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

OK, where did my posting go??

I pressed "Save" and it's now gone....

Larry
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Hi Larry.
I think you should press Submit instead. Not sure where your posts go if you hit "save" I'm going to "save" this first, see what happens...

Ok, I thought it was gone, but when I went to "Post a reply", there was a new button called "Load" (NO CRACKS LARRY!) when I clicked on that button, my SAVED draft was available to edit or post. whew. Dontcha just love progress???? If the scumbags who hacked this site were only available for stoning......
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

Moira-
I to was quite taken with that picture of Gene Nelson. It was good to see him again.
Talk about movie stars who are forgotten now-a-days - - he's certainly one....
He is one of the very few people in Hollywood, whom people have never said a bad word about. Genuinely liked and admired by everyone.

Joe-
What a magnificent and glamourous photo of Audrey Hepburn. Nobody today equals that on the so called 'red carpet'....
And, Claudette Colbert certainly had the glamour going in "Cleopatra" there...
I love Nita Naldi's surprised look - "Can you believe I was once a vamp?".....

Larry
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Nancy,

OK, I found it... Thanks so much....
What a rigamoreall to post a simple message; I could see if I was putting some pictures or UTube thingy on but why do we have to save and load and then submit??
I can't see myself on here much anymore.

Larry
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Larry, you don't have to go thru all that. Just type your post, then hit "Submit". I guess the "Save" button is for a long post, or if you get interrupted, etc. Just continue to hit submit, and you'll be fine! Don't give up on us now, we're getting smooooother and smooooother. just like fine wine or good bourbon. 8)
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

moirafinnie said:
Love that photo of Gene Nelson, Mongo. I just saw Crime Wave (1954) yesterday and was startled to find this well known hoofer tripping the "dark fantastic" in this straight, non-musical film noir story with Nelson as an ex-con trying to be a citizen, like any other, (and not succeeding, thanks to his past, which keeps coming back to haunt him).
Notice anything else startling in CRIME WAVE (a Top 15 Noir for me)? Sterling Hayden as a gruff hardboiled cop? Nah, that's just him. A young Charles Bronson as a not-so-bright thug? Ditto. Maybe it was that guy in the back of the hideout, eyeing and safeguarding Phyllis Kirk, and who looked as if he would burst through the screen at any moment. Yes, Sterling and Timothy in a movie together two years before THE KILLING.

About casting Gene Nelson against type, de Toth said: "I wasn't looking for actors playing parts in films. I was looking for people who had the 'it', living there own lives." That works for Hayden and Carey, too.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Moira, I always found Gene Nelson to be an appealing actor and dancer. I enjoyd his musicals with Doris Day and Virginia Mayo and not to forget his role in "Oklahoma!" as Will Parker.

Larry, of the silent screen stars image, I think that Nita Naldi most looks the part of a former vamp. I love her expression.

Marilyn Monroe & Jane Russell taking a break on "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes"

Ed Wynn, Millie Perkins, Shelley Winters, Robert Ryan & director George Stevens at
the premier of "The Diary of Anne Frank" in 1959

Richard Conte, Humphrey Bogart & Lauren Bacall in Washington to protest the HUAC

Charles Boyer, G.I.s, Claudette Colbert & Gary Cooper at the Stage Door Canteen

Joan Fontaine in her kitchen with daughter Debbie and her friend

Joseph Cotten & Loretta Young enjoying popcorn at a radio station in 1947

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAVID NIVEN on March 1st (1910 - 1983)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY HARRY BELAFONTE 82 on March 1st

Louis Jourdan and his wife Berthe at a New Years Eve party in 1949

Star doubles Loretta Young, Mae West, Joan Crawford, Marlene Dietrich, Greta Garbo & Zazu Pitts

Lovers Spencer Tracy and Katharine Hepburn at their private abode
Joseph Goodheart
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Joe,

It may well be this event that's pictured where I saw Nita Naldi for the only time in my life....
It was on an old TV show and several old silent film queens were being interviewed, but I can't remember who the others were, so maybe it was this bunch!!!
Anyway, the interviewer asked if they could live that time of their lives over again, would they???
And suddenly, Nita clasped her ample busoms and cried, "Oh God, could we?!!!"........
It was great television - certainly memorable for me anyway...

Larry
klondike

Post by klondike »

Mongo, that barn door behind Kate & Spence looks intriguingly familiar . . that wouldn't be the same one as was featured in the Bonners' "home movies" in Adam's Rib, would it, hmmm?
Ga'zooks I love that movie; bet I could watch it once a month and never tire of it!
Not that I'm in a hurry to test that theory . . some things are just to precious to muck around with!

P.S: Love Accordion Kong; its image has been hijacked by me & is currently gracing my desktop. :mrgreen:
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Larry, I wish I could see that show. I bet it exist somewhere in the archives of television.

Klondike, I was actually joshing about that place (barn) being the abode of Tracy and Hepburn, although if it was on George Cukor's property their abode could be close by as he supplied a place for them.
I just read that the funny scene with Hope Emerson as the strong woman in "Adam's Rib" was cut from the DVD release? Could this be?

Clark Gable & Carole Lombard with their kitties

Kim Novak with Pyewacket

Marlon Brando and company

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DESI ARNAZ March 2nd. (1917 - 1986)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JEAN HARLOW on March 3rd. (1911 - 1937)

Maria Schell getting prepared for her costume in 1957

Randolph Scott enjoying the warmth of his home

Carolyn Jones posing with a statue of Caesar
Joseph Goodheart