*CANDIDS*

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
charliechaplinfan

Re: *CANDIDS*

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I love those felines :wink:

Love the picture of the old silent screen actresses, Nita Naldi hadn't changed at all.

Norma Shearer always looks like a woman unashamed of her lovely figure.

Love the screen doubles, my goodness Joan's double is really good.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
rudyfan

Post by rudyfan »

mongoII wrote:Larry, I wish I could see that show. I bet it exist somewhere in the archives of television.
Museum of Television and radio probably has it (or whatever they are called now) :-)
mongoII wrote:Image
Randolph Scott enjoying the warmth of his home
I had NO IDEA Randolph Scott lived at Norma Desmond's house, too! :lol: Much more ornate than I would have imagined!
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Donna,

This may have been the home he lived in with his DuPont wife. She was quite rich and very upper-class. And, rather shee-shee...
I think her name was Maribelle and she was a friend of my grandmother. She was married to someone else by the time I knew her. (Obviously I didn't know her very well as I'm really not sure of her name)....

Anyway, the fireplace would have been hers.
I think Randolph was a little more rustic!!

Larry
rudyfan

Post by rudyfan »

Vecchiolarry wrote:Hi Donna,

This may have been the home he lived in with his DuPont wife. She was quite rich and very upper-class. And, rather shee-shee...
I think her name was Maribelle and she was a friend of my grandmother. She was married to someone else by the time I knew her. (Obviously I didn't know her very well as I'm really not sure of her name)....

Anyway, the fireplace would have been hers.
I think Randolph was a little more rustic!!

Larry
Larry

Thank you for sharing that information, it explains quite a bit. Reminds me of Valentino at his fireplace in his home Falcon Lair. I'll dig that up from home and post it. Not nearly so ornate as this, but smoking jacket, book in hand, fireplace (the piano was across the room at Falcon Lair) .... :wink:
rudyfan

Post by rudyfan »

Okay, as promised, here's Valentino at Falcon Lair.

Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Donna,

Wow, that's some shield and the helmet above it!!!
I'm glad to see that Rudy is photographed with a book and that there are books beside the fireplace.

Did you know that Rudolph was a good friend of Mae Murray's and there is a picture of them in NYC out together just before he was taken ill???
Mae was in Europe when he died and couldn't get back for his funeral.

Maybe Joe could find that photo - - it shows Mae in a big fur coat and Rudy in hat and coat. They're attending a premier together.

Larry
charliechaplinfan

Do you think the sword and shield came form one of his shopping sprees in Europe.

I think Rudy knew Mae in New York before they both became famous, am I right Donna?
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
rudyfan

Post by rudyfan »

Vecchiolarry wrote:Hi Donna,

Wow, that's some shield and the helmet above it!!!
I'm glad to see that Rudy is photographed with a book and that there are books beside the fireplace.

Did you know that Rudolph was a good friend of Mae Murray's and there is a picture of them in NYC out together just before he was taken ill???
Mae was in Europe when he died and couldn't get back for his funeral.

Maybe Joe could find that photo - - it shows Mae in a big fur coat and Rudy in hat and coat. They're attending a premier together.

Larry
Hi Larry
Yes, Rudy and Mae knew one another early on, she (or Robert Leonard her hubbo at the time) cast Rudy in 2 of her films in 1919. I do know of their friendship (and suspect they also had a fling). I know the pic, I've got a second one form that same evening, different angle, huge crowd of people (including a news sketch artist). I believe this was the premiere of Son of the Sheik.
rudyfan

Post by rudyfan »

charliechaplinfan wrote:Do you think the sword and shield came form one of his shopping sprees in Europe.

I think Rudy knew Mae in New York before they both became famous, am I right Donna?
Oh, I am sure much of this is from his European trip in 1924. He has many pieces of armour and various weapons. If you hit my website there is a virtual tour of Falcon Lair. The pics are on the small side, but in there you can see some of his antique guns and other scary items.

Yes, you're right, Rudy knew Mae before he became famous. Supposedly they met in NY when he was a dancer (could be, she was on stage then) and Rudy did court well known stars of the day when he was in NY. As I said in my post to Larry, Mae made two films with Rudy as well. She did some good for his career.

Donna
charliechaplinfan

I'll head by your website when I have a little more time. It sounds like you put in quite a bit of work making a vitual tour. It annoys me that so many houses have been torn down in Hollywood, especially from the early days. I'd love just to be able to wander around Pickfair, Falcon Lair, pop by Gloria's, Charlie's and Pola's and finish off by going to the Santa Monica beach house of Marion Davies. Anyone want to come with me?
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

Glad to hear that you both knew of Rudy and Mae's friendship... She did indeed know him before they both came to Hollywood. They were dancing partners for a few weeks, sometime when Clifton Webb, her usual dance partner, was off doing something else.

They never were lovers however, and that's how I think they remained good friends.
I asked her once about all that, in 1961, when there was a sort of revival of "Blood & Sand" and "the Shiek" & Son of the Shiek"... I said, "Pola was RV's lover when he died; were you and he ever 'more than friends'?? And, how did Pola feel about you two??"...
She point blank told me that there was no "hanky panky" only "smoochy whoochy"... That's how she talked... I smiled and said, "Good"...
When I got home I had to ask my governess what 'hanky panky' meant!!!

You live and learn!!

Larry
charliechaplinfan

What a good person to learn from Larry.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Larry, I'll see what I can do about finding that image of Valentino and Murray.

Tuesday Weld all wrapped up

Jon Hall working out

Blonde bombshell Barbara Nichols.

A beaming Dorothy Lamour sharing baby pictures with the wives of Alan Ladd & Bob Hope

Ann Sheridan, George Nader & Joan Crawford out on the town

Angie Dickinson gets ready for a scene as John Wayne waits in "Rio Bravo"

DELETED SCENES
The giant spider scene in the pit from "King Kong" (1933)

The gas chamber scene from "Double Indemnity" with Fred MacMurray & Edward G. Robinson

Bonnie Blue Butler visiting her mother Scarlett O' Hara at breakfast in "Gone With the Wind"

Strings are evident in this scene from "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea"

Gort and his maiden from "The Day the Earth Stood Still"...not really

Jason Robards and Lauren Bacall get married in 1961

Bette Davis with first husband Harmon Nelson

High-kicker Charlotte Greenwood with husband Martin Broones

Jean Arthur catching some sun while enjoying tennis in 1941

Debbie Reynolds & Glenn Ford kidding around in 1959

Starlets of the 1950s Phyllis Kirk, Debra Paget, Debbie Reynolds, Jean Hagen & Nancy Olson

HAPPY BIRTHDAY REX HARRISON on March 5th (1908 - 1990)

Character actor Gene Lockhart sharing excitement with daughter June Lockhart for reviews of her play in 1947

Movie legend Humphrey Bogart in all his glory

A pregnant Eva Marie Saint rushing to get her Oscar for "On the Waterfront"
Joseph Goodheart
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Wow,

There are no more stars like those girls - Phyllis, Debra, Debbie, Jean & Nancy...

All those ladies were just that - ladies. No one today can even approach them.

Larry
charliechaplinfan

That doesn't look like Lauren, perhaps it's an unflattering shot. I love that picture of Bogie.