George Raft

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
CineMaven

Re: George Raft

Post by CineMaven »

That's a good description for Virginia Mayo, Wendy. I just like her. I'm not looking for histrionics. There are others for that. These are some others who I think have a healthy sexuality in movies.

ImageImageImage

I was really struck by Dorothy Malone, having just watched "The Tarnished Angels."
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Western Guy wrote:So very true about the Warners supporting cast. Some may disagree but I think Warners had the absolute best support players of any Hollywood studio: Hale, McHugh, Tobias (who I feel delivers the funniest line in THEY DRIVE BY NIGHT - a throwaway but it cracks me up everytime I see it: Raft: "Hear you got married." / Tobias: "Ah, forget about that." - pure classic delivery), etc.
In an effort to keep enough space on my DVR during Loretta Young month (it's not easy), I have been cleaning up films that I recorded even though I've seen them about twelve times. Manpower (1941) is one of them, but this time I realized that there were four reasons I had to see it again:

Alan Hale
Frank McHugh
Eve Arden
Joyce Compton

All were delightful, but the literal scene-stealers were Alan Hale and Frank McHugh, who never entered a scene in a normal way. They almost always found some serpentine foolishness to goose their scenes to life while yukking it up at some private joke between the two of them. The only thing missing from this movie: George Tobias, who might have been wonderful, but I guess he was busy in 1941, when he was "only" in six movies that year.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I sometimes wish I could cram every character actor mentioned here into one big movie about THEM. They all get the girl. And Eve Arden gets the leading man. I can see her winking over her shoulder as she walks off with him at the end of the movie.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I believe Marin had a day on TCM recently. he directed some pretty decent Randolph Scott westerns, some of the Maisie movies, Sworn Enemy, Tall in the Saddle. He's actually one of my favorite unsung directors.

Marvin Miller??!! Myrna Dell? Why didn't I watch this one? Miller makes a pretty fair evil guy in Deadline at Dawn and Myrna, she is that mysterious thing in Hollywood, a gorgeous gal who can act. I can't figure out how she never became a big star.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

...Maybe b'cuz there was already an Audrey Totter?

ImageImage

I've only seen Dell in one movie "ROUGHSHOD" and she had something. I think the bench ran very deep in Hollywood with many of the same "types" that could be taken off the shelves and play a part believably. I like Myrna.

KINGRAT writes:

"...and the very pretty Turhan Bey."

"As several imdb commentators noted, he doesn't do subtle and he doesn't do subtext."

"To me he's not attractive--kind of reptilian, actually--but tastes will differ here."

( 'Georgie Porgie, puddin' and pie...kissed the girls and made them cry.' )

Reptilian? I wish I were a snake charmer. I loved your reviews. Very spirited. You made me sorry I didn't see "Johnny Angel" and "Nocturne."
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

The reptilian tag is interesting, kingrat. When George was dancing in New York nightclubs he was referred to by various paramours as The Black Snake. I believe that even followed him into Hollywood.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I can only imagine one context in which a man would be referred to as a snake. Maybe that reflects on this girlie's mind, it surely doesn't allude to looks in my books.

'He doesn't do subtle or subtext' the characters he was best at portraying, like gangsters weren't men fimiliar with either but brash and direct. He was an actor by chance rather than by choice but he's fun to watch and although often referred to in the same breathe as Bogie, it's a very different experience watching him. I've been pleasantly surprised at how good many of the later Raft films were, I used to imagine a graveyard for box office greats once past their sell by dates were they made dreadful movies which where sold only on the strength of their names but not so, often these films are good and fun and not just in Raft's case, the actor or actress is past their peak of beauty and box office power. I love these movies, so often discounted by critics but a real find for me.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I totally agree Alison. These stars were pros for a reason. Just because they might be past their box office prime that doesn't mean that those movies are terrible like a lot of criticism would have you believe. I have become very very fond of the past the prime movies in the last year or so. I think they are worth a second look.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

wouldn't that be a great programming choice for TCM? "Stars Past Their Prime in Prime Time"...
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

:lol:
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

kingrat wrote:I believe that TCM's tribute to George Raft will make people interested in seeing more of his films. That's how I feel. The programmers made some good selections.
I totally agree with you kingrat.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

I hope that TCM opens up more of the Paramount library. They've got all the early Marx Brothers and others (THE STORY OF TEMPLE DRAKE, for instance) but outside of IF I HAD A MILLION they haven't shown any of Raft's Paramount features -- although admittedly some of them aren't really that great.
The Ingenue

Post by The Ingenue »

Western Guy wrote:...outside of IF I HAD A MILLION they haven't shown any of Raft's Paramount features -- although admittedly some of them aren't really that great.
Ah, but "Midnight Club" IS!