'Round the World Weather Report

Chit-chat, current events
knitwit45

Re: 'Round the World Weather Report

Post by knitwit45 »

shazam! :shock: :shock:

Are all you New Englanders OK? It looks like Klon and Moira and Judith and April and Chris and Wendy have been slammed hard with up to 2 feet of snow (or MORE). Who did I miss, and who got missed by this latest gift from Ma Nature? (wish she didn't love us so much :x ) Let us hear from you as you are able, please!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I didn't get any snow at all...???? In fact, it's about 40 here, warming all this week, and the snowdrops are coming up.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Thank heavens! The news (Yahoo!) was talking about severe flooding in parts of Conn. I was really afraid you'd been slammed.

here's the article: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110308/ap_ ... re_weather
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Wow! I had no idea... I have to get news of my state by way of Kansas... :)

We were worried about flooding here because of the melting snow, but we have had a nice slow thaw here in southeastern CT. - thank goodness.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

The NY Times says Vermont was very hard hit, and the Lt. Governor has closed state offices down. Apparently the VT governor is on vacation.

We got nothing here in NYC; it's a beautiful day, in fact. Trees have buds and/or leaflets; daffs and crocuses and such are poking through the soil. Rain predicted for tomorrow.
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

A little happiness in the middle of all the world disasters at the moment : some cherry blossoms in my local park in Paris. Spring came early this year. All the daffodils, crocuses and jacynth are in bloom. 8) It's lovely.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh, AnnHarding, those are GREATLY appreciated on this rainy day here. Ahhhh!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Thank you, Christine. I made those exquisite cherry blossoms my desktop background. They are even more beautiful to see in the midst of the misery in the news.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
klondike

Post by klondike »

Yes, indeed, Christine, thank you for that seasonal dessert-for-the-eye.
Thanks to the Internet, and generous practitioners thereof like yourself, we can all enjoy a little "Springtime in Paris".
{Frank, cue the celloes.}
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Oh, happy day. Mild as mild can be, very little wind, and lots of blooming going on.

On the way to the train this morning I saw a big, sleek robin, the first of the season. He was announcing to one and all that he's here. As I walked another block toward the train station, I heard what sounded like dogs barking, but the sound kept getting nearer. Then it dawned on me: not dogs, but geese. Looking skyward, I saw two massive v's of them, honking away, and flying in a northeasterly direction.

Hooray. Can it be? Was Punxatawney Phil right about an early Spring? We can hope so, but I well remember my wedding day in mid-April, when it was close to freezing and snowing like crazy.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I was married in late April and we had a gorgeous day. The few days before weren't so nice. Today it is 70 and will be again next week.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
klondike

Post by klondike »

The last couple weeks have been GREAT for sugaring!
Thirty to fifty degrees dawn to dusk, and back down to the mid teens every night . . textbook weather to get that maple sap a-pumpin' !
But the early thaw's also given us a fast snowmelt, which means an early end to the ice-fishing season, and a quick start to Mud Season . . about which there is this joke:

Ezra & Horace are leaning on a roadside fence, discussing mud season on both their farms, when they spot a battered fedora drifting down the center of the road on the sluicing current of mud & silt; grabbing a long, skinny butternut branch, Horace leans out from the fence and uses it to snag-up the hat as it passes, revealing a man's head, which turns & winks at them.
"Why, George Peabody!", Ezra exclaims, "Looks like you could use rescuin', there!"
"Not to worry, fellas," Peabody insists, "I've got a good horse under me, I should be fine!"
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

It's beautiful here today, I am actually hot! But my husbands birthday is April 6th, and we almost always get one last snowfall near that date.
klondike

Post by klondike »

APRIL 6TH!
Shades of the Stone o' Scone, Woman, that's Tartan Day!
How I envy him!
He's extremely lucky for TWO reasons . . :wink: !
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That's sweet! Thanks, Klonny!