WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
Rita Hayworth

Re: WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Cleopatra - Claudette Colbert 1934

It's may not be as grandeur as Elizabeth Taylor version back in 1963 nor as epic as Vivian Leigh version back in 1945. This movie is stylish, classy, and the costumes for its period was out of this world. I enjoyed watching this movie tonight on Turner Classic Movies and I haven't seen this version for years and having seen both Taylor and Leigh versions - this version can stand up of its own. I enjoyed this movie tonight and its was grand seeing it again ... I think Claudette Colbert did a masterful job as Cleopatra and the actors and actresses that co-starred with her did well too. Warren Williams did well as Julius Caesar and Henry Wilcoxon did fabulous as Marc Anthony - and Ian Keith did a wonderful job as Octavian.

I will repeat this post on the December Thread too ... Cecil B. DeMille was the Director of this Movie and he should be proud of the way he directed it.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Could they have really had shoes like that in ancient Egypt?
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

movieman1957 wrote:Could they have really had shoes like that in ancient Egypt?

Chris, that's Hollywood! :lol:
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Chris & Erik,

Yes they did!!! High born ladies in Egypt and Babylon and Nineva and Sumeria did have highheel shoes.
Not the people walking in the desert, of course. There are examples of these in the Egyptian Museum in Cairo...

I'm glad Cleopatra asked Travis Banton to design a dress for bosum asp biting!!! It makes it so much easier for the little asp to do its job.....

Larry
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Incredibly sexy! In beatiful black and white.

I watched Robert Redford's latest directorial effort, THE COMPANY YOU KEEP. It's good. Exciting, thoughtful and entertaining. The story of a former Viet Nam war protestor on the run from the law, it moves well and keeps you guessing. Played well by Redford, Julie Christie (Where has she been?) and a young guy whose name I can't begin to pronounce, there's much to like and little to object to. I could split hairs with the script. Talk, talk, talk! The concept of visual storytelling is virtually obsolete. It's all about the words now. But when the words are this good, I can't complain!

We know Redford has the potential for a good show. ORDINARY PEOPLE, A RIVER RUNS THROUGH IT, QUIZ SHOW. He may yet prove himself a first tier director. But of late, he's been swinging and missing. His last two movies weren't just bad. They were pain inducing! Maybe this effective political thriller, a theme close to his activist heart, will get his career on track again!

The supporting cast includes Susan Sarandon, Nick Nolte, Sam Elliott and Chris Cooper. It's hard to miss with that line-up!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Thanks for the info Larry. Now when The Bride asks the same question I can tell her the news.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

RedRiver wrote: Talk, talk, talk! The concept of visual storytelling is virtually obsolete. It's all about the words now. But when the words are this good, I can't complain!
I think you might find Mr. Redford's most recent film release, All Is Lost (2013), revives visual storytelling, since it features a largely wordless but compelling performance by the actor alone on a sailboat in deep trouble. It has earned him the best reviews of his long career. I hope to catch this soon.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I'm glad to hear this! Is Redford the director as well?
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Some of my all time favs are under rated by many. Joan Bennett was called the most under rated actress from The Golden Era in the New York Times and now almost every obit on EP explains why she never became a super star. - Neil Haring, Going to TCMFF FB page.
Reading the above on one of my Face Book pages gave me some food for thought. So I put my thoughts on paper, and now on the internet.

In general, I admit my tastes do run towards divas, volcanoes and bombshells when I think of actresses I’m drawn to. But thanx to TCM and in particular, to three friends of mine who really shed light and opened my eyes to each of these actresses, I am new on the scene in my adoration for Eleanor Parker AND Joan Bennett. I believe both Parker and Bennett were not driven to be Movie Stars. I don’t think they were teacher’s pets to studio heads with scripts with their names stamped on it. Family probably came first, as one of my friends notes specifically with Bennett. I think these actresses chose roles that were of interest to them, and not that would necessarily further their career. I'm not saying they didn't want to go further in their careers, but I don't think that was their reason for living.

I’m thinking of two moments from these actresses that viscerally shook me to the core. With Bennett, it was in “The Macomber Affair.” The revulsion on her face to husband Robert Preston on safari took my breath away. With Parker, it happened when I had on “Between Two Worlds.” I wasn’t really watching it, I just had the tv on. When she begins to search for Henreid and gets more desperate, I stopped what I was doing and got caught up in her search, which brought me to tears.

Maybe the test is if you can picture someone ELSE doing the role beside them with the subtle gradations of emotions Bennett and Parker offer. ( I oftimes can’t. ) I have enough on my plate while I have Bette Davis and Barbara Stanwyck duke it out in my mind’s eye. It’s a pleasure to be calm in my admiration of two actresses who are not showy, but go deep inside themselves whether the role is big or small. They’re unafraid. They’re fearless.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That's wonderful, Maven. Never thought of these two actresses in the same way before. Both so SO smart, beautiful, and fearless, as you say.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Wendy, I wish I HAD thought of that myself, but it was reading this gentleman's post over on FaceBook that got me to thinking.

CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

“...With your love you wrecked Mother’s life. With your love you pressed Father to death. With your love you’ve made a shadow of Richard. No Ellen, I don’t envy you. I’m sorry for you. You’re the most pitiful creature I’ve ever known.”

I watched “LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN” on TCM Tuesday afternoon. It’s one of my favorite movies and it’s gloriously filled with a lot of emotion with a great performance by Gene Tierney. ( She wuz robbed, I tell ya! She wuz robbed of an Oscar, IMHO. ) But I wasn’t alone when I watched. I was on FaceBook having a “MovieCHAT” with Jack Favell who was watching this in her OWN home. We had a running commentary about the movie, during the movie. We’re a little irreverent, but having fun WITH the movie and each other...but not AT the movie’s expense ‘cuz it’s a great one. Here’s our FaceCHAT:

CINEMAVEN: Here goes Ellen Berent:
‘BUT HE'S A CRIPPLE!!!!’

JACK FAVELL: Oh wow, I have too much sympathy for Ellen.

C.M. : Ellen doesn't have to be mad about the thin walls in the bedroom. There are two beds in their room anyway. What's the problem?

"...and the acoustics are disgustingly perfect."

J.F. - Oh holy... I'd be pissed off at Cornel for bringing the family on the honeymoon.

C.M. - Chill Wills is EXCELLENT.

J.F. - I love Chill Wills.

C.M. - Oh...and I love plaid shirts from the 40's. They're very becoming on Tierney.

J.F. - I was just watching her set the table. sigh!

C.M. - Yeah...what a spread. She tells Thorne her dreams. Look at his face. So next time someone tells you their dream, just know...they're going to kill you.

J.F. - I love plaid too, I dressed Alice in it when she was little all the time. Now she hates it.

C.M. - Thanx Mom. Way to go!! Tierney can rival Maureen O'Hara with that pirate blouse she's wearing. What a beautiful girl.

J.F. - Jesus does ANYONE climb stairs like that? Gorgeous.

C.M. - I missed the stair climbing. But I hope to see her roll DOWN the stairs. When you want to get something done right...

J.F. - It was her entrance in that white blouse. Sheesh, I need some clothes that make me look like that!

C.M. - I need some genes to make me look like that!

J.F. - Nice pun there.

C.M. - I'm a punster.

J.F. - Ellen just needs a job.

C.M. - What could Ellen do? She IS perfect at everything. Uh-oh, there YOU are Wendy, watching your in-laws come in on the motorboat.

J.F. - HAAAAAAAAAAAAA! Cheeze it, the folks! Love his voice, Chill Wills.

C.M. - Nice. Does it remind you of home?

J.F. - A little. He's actually pretty good looking here.

C.M. - He is. Okla--HOMA as Aunt Patsy says in "The Awful Truth."

J.F. - Yup. he does sound all Oklahoma! I never thought about it, but that's probably one of the reasons I like him.

C.M. - I'm just thinking about any voice in the midwest. I doubt I pegged his region correctly. I’m a New Yorker. I love his look when Ellen passes him. Like death just passed his door in "The Ten Commandments."

Hey Dwayne Hickman is so dear and engaging here. He's a bitter older man. ( Remember him on TCM's child star Private Screenings? ) He's mad he didn't have Elizabeth Taylor's career.

J.F. - I love how you said that! Death just passed his door. I've heard that no one ( likes ) Dwayne much. Too bad. I don't really care for him here, but he's super good in “The Human Comedy”, and especially in “Keeper of the Flame.”

C.M.- Ahhh yes, "The Human Comedy." Ellen is beautiful. But she's a wet blanket.

I...LOVE...ELLEN's...MOTHER.

J.F. - Ha! Ellen's mom is so proper.

C.M. - Just check out Tierney / Ellen: nights in pale blue satin. Brushing her hair. Lipstick to bed.

J.F. - Get those black glasses ready, Ellen.

Wonder if women and men watch this movie the same way?

C.M. - What's the two different ways, Wendy?

J.F. - Any woman would understand Ellen.

C.M. - She sets a table, she's hot on fire worrying about her bedroom's acoustics and she kills her in-laws. What's not to understand?

J.F. - Maybe any wife I should say. It's about women's power submerged and perverted into something monstrous. She subverts herself to her husband, he's the be all end all.

C.M. - How do you think a husband sees this? Has Andrew seen this film?

J.F. - No, but I should watch it with him. Give him something to think about.

C.M.- Danny's going down for the count.

J.F. - Those are the best sunglasses ever.

C.M. - Chilling.

J.F. - I'm shallow.

C.M. - But the water isn't. Who's behind those Foster Grants?

J.F. - D'oh!

C.M. - A lot of swimming in this movie. Wonder if that was a casting pre-requisite...

NOW check out that Chinese outfit Gene's wearing. Is there ANYTHING this murderous ***** wouldn't look good in?

J.F. - Yeah those Pyjamas are great. Helps to have a fashion designer hubby.

C.M.: - The pajamas are great. Oleg. Oleg Clams Cassini. The music when some of the manuscript pages go flying makes me think of Jennifer Jones' "LOVE LETTERS."

J.F. - The music here after Danny goes down into the water reminds me of "Sunrise", the sound of the husband calling out her name - remember in the storm scene?

C.M. - "Sunrise"???? There's no talking in that movie. Why am I watching? Even though George O'Brien's a hunk.

J.F. - "Sunrise", on the soundtrack - he yells out but instead of a voice you hear these horns making this calling sound. It's brilliant and chilling.

C.M. - I don't know "Sunrise" well. I'm sorry. Anything before 1927 is a little foggy for me. My dad was born in 1927. He's a little foggy too.

J.F. - I'm just dying for the house.

C.M. - The cottage's decor is too flowery for me.

J.F. - No, I probably wouldn't do chintz or whatever that is, but I love the colors.

C.M. - I say flowers and you say chintz. See...I'll NEVER be married.

J.F. - Cornel writes, he paints. Ellen doesn't have anything. No artistic pursuits.

C.M. - Ellen needs a job.

...And therapy.

I wonder could Ella Raines have been in Jeanne's part. Whaddya think?

J.F. - Yeah, Ella could definitely play this, she'd be a little bolder I think.

C.M. - Ella Raines...bolder. Does it require her to be sweeter as a contrast to Gene?

J.F. - Yes, she'd have to be sweeter, but I've seen her do that before.

C.M. - Love Jeanne's outfit here. LOVE IT! The hair, the ascot.

J.F. - Yeah, she looks great. Not too many women can get by with an ascot.

C.M. - Gene's looking dowdy.

J.F. - I think some women would identify with this scene too, everyone laughing and having fun and you sitting upstairs looking on.

C.M. - Sitting upstairs having a baby. And keeping HERSELF apart from the group.

J.F. - Yes, SHE keeps herself apart. Sometimes though I feel that way in my family. Have you seen ”A Tree Grows in Brooklyn”? Sometimes I feel like Dot McGuire's character.

C.M. - Awww!
ELLEN: "This baby's making a prisoner of me."

DOCTOR: "Then what are you having it for?"
HAAA! I love when outsiders smack down Ellen.
ELLEN: “I hate the little beast !I wish it would die.!”
THAT is rough. She ought to eat pickles and ice cream and get her smiley face on.

Look at Tierney at the top of the stairs. Those blood red lips, her eyes matching the color of her outfit, and the slight smile; like she knows something they don’t.

J.F. - Get beautiful before you fall downstairs.

C.M. - Well hey, you know folks will be looking at you. You've got to look your best when you're in a heap on the floor.

J.F. - She's depressed because she killed Danny. It's like losing a child. So she's on the outside looking in. The lie, the killing keeps her from enjoying her man rather than making her man enjoy her more.

C.M. - Why'd she scream?

J.F. - So they'd pay attention?

I love the use of aqua in this movie. Like the sea.

C.M. - You're sooooo sooooo very smart Wendy. I really like how you express yourself.

J.F. - Hey, Gene Lockhart.

C.M. - Hey...Gene Lockhart.

J.F. - Tee hee.

C.M. - OMG! I'm not ******** you...I was looking at the tv typing "Hey...Gene Lockhart" and when I turned around to the monitor...you wrote the same thing!!

THAT voice of Crain's. Modulated. Seven kids Jeanne had. Whew!

J.F. - Wow. She probably just wanted a regular life, Here we are dreaming of being like her.

C.M. - Jeanne’s quite a good scene partner with Tierney. You have to be strong. And confident.

J.F. - Yes, I like that, you do have to be confident.

C.M. - Hey...laying on the couch looked like Ellen was in a chintz coffin.

J.F. - Love what you wrote, 'like a chintz coffin.’

C.M. - The coldest look. The look when you realize you don't know the person you married. Your marriage is now officially over Ellen. Jesus Christ

God help her.

J.F. - I feel sorry for her.

C.M. - Me too. But she has to go. She keeps killing people...or at the very least, chasing them away.

J.F. - Here she's being honest for the first time, and it's no good because it's monstrous.

C.M. - Yes. The truth shall not set her free because it’s monstrous. Richard could draw the line at Thorne, but when your brother is killed you’re supposed to do something about it.

J.F. - Reminds me of Colin Clive in ‘History is Made at Night.’

C.M. - Wait...what?!!! Ahhh yes. He was wacky too. Possessive. Jealous. It consumed him. I didn't think of that!! To wreck the entire ship to get Jean and Boyer...BRILLIANT!!!

J.F. - Oooh mice use of ”The Maltese Falcon” line. Make that MICE. Oh sheesh give it up Wen, NICE - I can be brilliant but I can't type.

C.M. - Ha! :)

COLIN CLIVE wrecks an ocean liner.
ELLEN BERENT wrecks herself.

Hell...even Death doesn't want her. Her hand. Perfect touch. Wow, that's good.

J.F. - Forgot Vinnie.

C.M. - Hammy Vinnie. "Are you in love with Richard? Are you in love with RICHARD? ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH RICHARD?!!!!!"

J.F. - Hahahahaha! I hear his voice when I see those words. The courtroom is even aqua.

C.M. - I absolutely am back of the moon about Jeanne Crain's quiet way she answers the question. Not shrieking at the moon like my girl Ida Lupino in "They Drive By Night."

J.F. - Gad Jeanne looks good in white. And I thought Gene looked good in white.

C.M. - Jeanne is gorgeous, white, blue, whatever. And like Cathy O'Donnell, she doesn't swing her arms when she walks.

J.F. - I think the aqua and pink/orange/red motif also looks like the desert sky and sand.

I never noticed the arm swing, or lack thereof. But I can see a huge similarity between those two. Very simple straightforward actresses. Both played 'good' so well, without adornment. Plainly.

C.M. - Understated. Genuine. Jeanne Crain.

J.F. - Vincent's a tool, in more ways than one.

C.M. - HA!!!! Why? He's a man in love. And a good lawyer.

J.F. - He's Ellen's tool. AND he's humorless. Not that the situation really allows humor.

C.M. - I like him humorless. And with Mitchum and Russell, he was good. Those horror pix were a bit over the top. But he's very good here. Manly. Butch. Vincent Price as Darrell Issa.

J.F. - Ewww, that IS creepy. I mean Issa.

C.M. - HA! Right...

J.F. - I love Price in ”Laura. “ Also in ”His Kind of Woman”, yes, they were good, I like him there. It's funny he could play power broker or weasel.

C.M. - Perfect Wendy. Perfectly put!!

J.F. - Love the bullseye window over the witness stand.

C.M. - Good observation!!! Dang! What does it mean do you suppose.

J.F. - Well, I did think of it as a bullseye - you know - the person on the stand is being targeted by Vinnie.

C.M. - When Jeanne says: "I think I've always loved him.” It kills me. Here it comes. PINKY'S ON TRIAL!! Get ready for her line; and how her voice drops. One-take Crain. Sounds like she's talking. NOT acting.

J.F. - Yes, totally.

C.M. - Here we go with Crain's line reading. Any final thoughts before you go?

J.F. - It's a triumph not a trap, the way she says it.

C.M. - Beautiful Wendy.

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN is sooo creepy! I simply have to say this again: Noir doesn't have to be black and white. This nightmare boasts rich, beautiful colors. Yet the theme is as dark and diabolical as a crime story can get!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

RedRiver wrote:LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN is sooo creepy! I simply have to say this again: Noir doesn't have to be black and white. This nightmare boasts rich, beautiful colors. Yet the theme is as dark and diabolical as a crime story can get!

I agree with you ... Red River and I just can't fathom how dark it is and so fiendishly altogether! Creepy, definitely!