WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
knitwit45

Re: WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by knitwit45 »

For Aldo Ray at his sweetest, try We're No Angels. Bogie, Ustinov, Rathbone, Bennett. Delicious!!! :D
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I love "The Marrying Kind." I think it is one of Cukor's best films. A wonderful, daring movie that is a true rollercoaster of emotions. (And I like seeing Charles Bronson in the background.)

Saw "Catching Fire," the new "Hunger Games" movie today. I liked it and left a write-up at the Sci-Fi and Horror section.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Saw the BIG HEAT (1953) Movie today on TCM ... my reviews on the Friday Night Spotlight Thread ...
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Love We're No Angels... perfect for this time of year!
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

:D
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

THE MARRYING KIND is clever, thoughtful and touching. Extremely well written. My completely insane brother ("John Ford was the only great filmmaker") considers it an underrated masterpiece. And there's not a cavalry charge in it!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I also like A DOUBLE LIFE, Wendy. What is it about stories of the theatre? They're almost always fun!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Joan Fontaine Day
December 29th, 2013

7 Movies in all

Blond Cheat - 1938 Comedy
The Woman - 1939 Comedy
Born to be Bad - a 1950 Drama.
Ivanhoe - a 1952 Epic
The Constant Nymph - 1943 Romance
Suspicion - 1941 Suspense Movie
Rebecca - 1940 Suspense Movie

More information can be found at The December 2013 Schedule on TCM.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

The Mouse that Roared - 1959

Another Peter Sellers Masterpiece of him playing three characters in this delightful movie about a tiny European Country declaring war on United States with riotous results and it was a crackpot of comedy that I was laughing my heads off of the silly lines in this movie - every character was superb in every way and the highlight of the movie is the Q-Bomb supposedly the most powerful bomb in the world. And, its inventor ... declare it as a

One of the most delightful movie that came out that year and Peter Sellers became a household name ...

The Q-Bomb

Movie Review Here
http://www.tigersweat.com/movies/mouse/

SPOILERS

a dud. And, the rest was history.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I totally agree with your assessments of 4 of the 5 stories in Full House. I didn't see Ransom of Red Chief, so I can't really make any
comments.

The Last Leaf was the only story I remembered well, although The Gift of the Magi must have made an impression on me at a young age, because once it started I recalled almost the whole thing. I still think the Negulesco story is the best. Gregory Ratoff and Peters are just fantastic, but best of all is the moody direction, camera work and lighting. You really feel the cold, the desperation and foreboding in the air while watching. I fell for Gregory Ratoff here in a big way.

The Clarion Call was nothing special, but was marked by a good performance by Robertson. I practically cheered at the final twist, but all in all it felt a bit like an old melodrama, all Widmark lacked was the black hair and twisty moustache.

The Cop and the Anthem was terrific, I liked the irony, and how a bit of magic seemed to play a part in the story. It's funny, David Wayne really stood out for me too, but then, I'm a great fan of his. Your description was spot on. Wayne has a preternatural talent for ensemble acting - a great knack for knowing how best to support and contrast the leads, no matter who they are, or what type of acting they are doing. I think sometimes he has a better idea of where the story is going than the main players. A dedicated actor, it's hard to believe he's the same guy from movie to movie. I feel like he's not really given his due unless you've collected his performances, that only when lined up in a row do they show just how talented the man really was.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

kingrat wrote:The Last Leaf”—...and Jean Peters is just great. In “The Last Leaf,” Apache, and Pickup on South Street, Jean Peters seems like one of the best actresses of the 1950s. That’s not what I see in Niagara and Three Coins in the Fountain, though she’s more than adequate in them. Why couldn’t Howard Hughes have fallen for someone less talented?
ImageImage

Big Jean Peters fan here. I liked her in "Niagra" "Pick Up On South Street" "Anne of the Indies" "A Blueprint for Murder" among other films. I'm wondering if she wasn't as career driven as others, or did she really let Howard Hughes make that decision. She was quite a talent.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Four Jills in a Jeep ... a 1944 Film

Starring Carole Landis, Kay Francis, Mitzi Mayfair, Martha Raye, and Phil Silvers with John Harvey ...

With Dick Haymes in his first role on film, Alice Faye, Betty Grable, Carmen Miranda, and George Jessel ... did cameos on this wonderful film that filled with entertainment, dancing, singing, adventure, and the whole nine yards. I just loved these old films and it's was a treat to see this old movie again - and I found this delightful movie at the Library that I occasionally check out movies to see. I haven't seen this for a while and I had fun watching it on Christmas Eve and taking it easy before the big day tomorrow.

I just wanted to share about this great movie and it was directed by William A Seiter - one of my favorite directors.
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

I quite enjoyed The Marrying Kind and it led me down the road to all of Judy Holliday's films. While her voice is certainly an...acquired taste, once I got used to it I found her a delightful actress. I was disappointed she didn't make more films.

Anyway, yesterday I watched a little known film called It's a Wonderful Life, which for some reason I seem to view every year on December 25th. I can't imagine any of you would know why or have heard of this cult film. ;)
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I haven't seen O. HENRY'S FULL HOUSE in decades. As a child, let's say 12, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I had completely forgotten about "The Cop and the Anthem." That concept was famously borrowed by Red Skelton in his bum character. THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW tweaked it to fit a mean old man who simply wanted company. No doubt this time honored plot has turned up in other shows!