Do You Know Me?

jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

More:

In my movies, I jealously betrayed Ava Gardner, loaded cargo at a busy seaport, was invaded by Martians, and had little sympathy for any young man who wasn't as athletic as myself.

Who am I?
feaito

Post by feaito »

I think I got it: Leif Erickson.

Thanks Judith, I love this game and I'm having a field day!
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

feaito wrote:I think I got it: Leif Erickson.

Thanks Judith, I love this game and I'm having a field day!
You have indeed got it. Well done.

I'll wait a bit to see if anyone else would like to propose a Mystery Guest. Otherwise, I'll give another one myself later on. Part of the fun is doing the research!
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

OK you Trivians, try this one:

Do you know me?

I had some success in films in my birth county. Darryl F. Zanuck saw me and brought me to Hollywood.

Because of my accent, I always played foreign-born people, but not always characters from my own country. I made several movies in Hollywood, but only two are really remembered now.

I went back to my own country to make more films, one of which is still popular with cinemaphiles.

Two of the Hollywood movies I made, the two most popular, both deal with the supernatural. In one I was a young married with a secret self, and in the other, I was a sultry servant who may or may not have been real.

I returned in a sequel to the former movie, but I wasn't really the star. In fact, most people will tell you that the sequel was misnamed, and wasn't even a sequel.

To this day, people have trouble saying my name correctly.

Who am I?
feaito

Post by feaito »

Simone Simon?
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

feaito wrote:Simone Simon?
Exactement! Formidable!
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Here's one:

Our Mystery Guest was born to a large Irish Catholic family (the fifth of nine children) and raised in New York City. He overcame a birth defect and alcoholic father to begin a Broadway career in 1937, acting opposite Van Heflin, Sidney Lumet and Uta Hagen in separate productions. After a number of films with Paramount and RKO, he hit his stride in a series of teen-oriented comedies. After working increasingly in television in the early 1950s, he turned to production roles. He is still active as a producer and writer.

Who is he?
feaito

Post by feaito »

Jimmy Lydon?
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

>>Jimmy Lydon?

You got it!
Next.
CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

If I may...

I was famous during the "Age of Classic Movies", but I only appeared in two movies. My first name is Gordon, but everyone knew me by my nickname. I was elected into a Hall of Fame specific to the field in which I gained my fame in 1996. After my "employer's" death, I took his place for several years until having to part ways because of artistic differences with another of my "co-workers". I continued on in my field of endeavor for several successful years.

Who am I?
"I'm at my most serious when I'm joking." - Dudley

Don't sweat the petty things - don't pet the sweaty things.
CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

A day later and time for another clue or two.

The two movies I appeared in were musicals.

Although I was a very integral part of my boss's "team", I was never even mentioned in his biopic.

Any ideas?

jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I'm afraid I'm getting nowhere, Charlie. Can you throw just a little more light?
CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

Of course, I can, Judith.

I was an excellent speller, as most of my fans knew. :wink:

And I could whistle with the best of them. :shock:

My nickname and my two greatest "works" were all geographical in nature. :lol:

Some considered me one "saxy" fellow. :roll:

And my name is....

feaito

Post by feaito »

Tex Beneke?
CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

M-N-O-P-Q-R-S-T-U are so right! And "How do you do?"

You win a trip - at your own expense - to Kalamazoo!

He appeared in Orchestra Wives and Sun Valley Serenade. And in 1996, he was elected to the Big Band and Jazz Hall of Fame. After Glenn Miller's death, Helen Miller asked Tex to take over the band and keep Glenn's music alive. In the early 50's, Tex and the band's manager/producer disagreed on the musical direction that the band ought to go, so Tex formed his own orchestra.

When The Glenn Miller Story was filmed starring Jimmy Stewart, Gordon "Tex" Beneke wasn't even mentioned, although he was a big part of the hits "Chattanooga Choo Choo", "I've Got A Gal In Kalamazoo" and Don't Sit Under the Apple Tree". His whistling lead-ins were almost as famous as his voice. And he played a mean tenor sax.

Good work, feaito.

Next?