The Advice Column

Chit-chat, current events
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: The Advice Column

Post by moira finnie »

I think the listening to music idea is a good one, though I don't have an ipod but a walkman (yes, I'm a dinosaur). I'll try to figure out a way but thank you for that suggestion. I do not ask others for help unless I absolutely have to nor do I think she would be helpful if I needed anything, but I just don't feel comfortable around her. I figure she's liable to blow anytime. I have tried to be of help, offering our hose so that the baby could play in the sprinkler, and giving him a book on his birthday recently. I just don't' know what else to do except keep my distance and wait for the Fall, when she is likely to be outside less of the time.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I don't think I'd feel comfortable around her, she's far from the ideal neighbour. It sounds like you've done all the right things to create a warm, neighbourly feeling. She obviously can't pick up on body language if she's continuing to tell you of her love life. It's such a pity that you feel that you can't enjoy the garden without opening yourself up to a conversation that you really don't want to have. Perhaps she'll move on, she hardly sounds the settled type.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Moira, I like the music idea too, but if she doesn't take the hint, I think I would try something more drastic.

You should be able to be in your own yard when you want to! It may take some time and I know it sounds cruel, but I think I would literally get up and leave any time she starts talking to you outside about inappropriate things. I would do it abruptly and immediately, always polite but firmly stating that you have to go for whatever reason, a phone call, whatever. After doing this consistently every time she brings up something unpleasant or personal, she may actually take the hint, or maybe she will not even realize but will stop talking about her personal life. Behavior modification can work wonders. Think of it as training her, like you would a dog. :D

I know it sounds harsh, but my dad's a psychologist. That's why I'm so messed up! :D
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

JackFavell wrote: I know it sounds harsh, but my dad's a psychologist. That's why I'm so messed up! :D
I know the feeling! There should be a club for daughters of shrinks. :D
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

There should be a club for daughters of shrinks
There is. The P-K Club.

Priests'-Kids
Preachers'-Kids
Pastors'-Kids
Psychiatrists'-Kids
Psychologists'-Kids
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Thanks for the good suggestions, ladies.

I don't think I made it clear in my original post--the only reason I know so damn much about my neighbor's private grievances is because she does stuff like has tantrums in front of me and everyone else who happens to be outside. She talks endlessly about her troubles on the cell phone while pacing up and down around the outside of the house at the top of her lungs and by having fights while I am home. I can literally hear her through the walls and I don't want to. Our conversations have been started by me, like when I suggested a walk for her as a stress reliever after she flipped out one day and I couldn't avoid hearing it all. Other than talking to her beautiful little boy (who is such a nice kid, I wish he could rent the place all by himself), I just try to be civil ("Hi" and "Bye" while dashing to the car) and avoid her, but she's ubiquitous.

I do like the music idea and will try cranking the music or telly next time an outburst occurs. Thanks again for your guidance, all.

JF & MIss G., maybe you are the daughters of shrinks (and have the psychological scars to prove it) but I think you both have more insights into people than the average person.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh, I misunderstood! I thought she was just unburdening herself at you every time you had a conversation.

JF & MIss G., maybe you are the daughters of shrinks (and have the psychological scars to prove it) but I think you both have more insights into people than the average person.
And that was very kind of you to say, Moira.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

MissG, are you sure we aren't sisters? :D
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

sisters under the mink, wendy! or cotton, as the weather would have it. :D

thank you moira, that may not be true in my case but i sure have insight into shrinks!
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
charliechaplinfan

i'm reading al lthe books about dog training at the moment and I read all the books about baby and childrearing, as far as I know there isn't a book about neighbours.

Are there any other neighbours as close as you are to her Moira? Perhaps if you could talk to or take action together then she can't blame one person.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Moira, this neighbor sounds like she needs her drama, so I would suggest not giving her any. :lol:
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I'm sorry to hear this Moira. Sounds horrible. She needs...craves a lot of attention. Perhaps your landlord can evict her for being a public nuisance. It's a shame that the entire community has to suffer b'cuz of one person.

P.S. As for your Walkman...at least you don't still have eight-track...do you? :shock: Get an iPOD.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
charliechaplinfan

I agree, she seems to thrive on drama and any action against her would have to remain anonymous and done through the landlord or together but even togetherness needs a leader. Listen to your walkman, or divert her, did she hear that birdsong? the frog? the wildlife? can her son hear it? Or when she gets going suddenly say, 'isn't your little xxx looking xxxx? and then start talking to the son with nods to the mother. No mother that I know if can resist her child being made a fuss of. At worst you can be dotty, someone who's only interested in children and animals.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

"Maybe she was raised by wolves."

I was raised by wolves. It was only a problem at PTA meetings!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

She would have better manners if she were raised by wolves. :D