Humorous Memes

Chit-chat, current events
Dargo

Re: Memes

Post by Dargo »

TikiSoo wrote: August 7th, 2023, 5:25 am
I will never understand those "watch out for motorcycles" sticker on cars....while the cars are traveling predictably in lanes & speeds, the yahoos on the motorcycles are whipping dangerously in & out of traffic!

Why IS that, Dargo? :roll:
Might be because the guys you see ridng in that manner tend to be in the latter demographic of the following old axiom...

"There are two types of motorcycle riders: Those who have gone down and those who will end up going down."

Although, and while I know the following will seem counterintutive to you here Tiki, there actually is a manner in which "Lane-Splitting" or "Filtering" is or can actually be a safer riding manuver than adhering to "traveling predictably in lanes and speeds", aka "Lane Discipline". It's all in how it's done, but yes, not by as you said "whipping dangerously in and out of traffic".

And now here's a meme you're sure to like...

Masha

Post by Masha »

It is a Cowasaki

I must wonder if it is hard to steer.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Dargo wrote: August 7th, 2023, 5:56 pm
TikiSoo wrote: August 7th, 2023, 5:25 am
I will never understand those "watch out for motorcycles" sticker on cars....while the cars are traveling predictably in lanes & speeds, the yahoos on the motorcycles are whipping dangerously in & out of traffic!

Why IS that, Dargo? :roll:
Might be because the guys you see ridng in that manner tend to be in the latter demographic of the following old axiom...

"There are two types of motorcycle riders: Those who have gone down and those who will end up going down."

Although, and while I know the following will seem counterintutive to you here Tiki, there actually is a manner in which "Lane-Splitting" or "Filtering" is or can actually be a safer riding manuver than adhering to "traveling predictably in lanes and speeds", aka "Lane Discipline". It's all in how it's done, but yes, not by as you said "whipping dangerously in and out of traffic".

And now here's a meme you're sure to like...

In California, white-lining or lane-splitting is legal. But it's not legal in most other places in the US, so automobile drivers aren't expecting said behaviour in these places. Thus, it can be really dangerous if a motorcyclist attempts it in these juristdictions. California drivers know to expect it and watch out for it. Not so much in other places.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

txfilmfan wrote: August 7th, 2023, 6:40 pm
In California, white-lining or lane-splitting is legal. But it's not legal in most other places in the US, so automobile drivers aren't expecting said behaviour in these places. Thus, it can be really dangerous if a motorcyclist attempts it in these juristdictions. California drivers know to expect it and watch out for it. Not so much in other places.
Very true here Tex, except that in the past year a new law in AZ has allowed this practice to legally be done but is limited to a few instances and situations in which it can.

And you are indeed correct about the idea of drivers in all other states not having been, lets say, "culturalized" about this and due to their inexperience with this sort of thing. This often stated as being the primary reason I've heard riders in other states say that this wouldn't nor couldn't ever be implemented in the states they reside in and because most all of the motorists that they ride around would take it as some sort of "personal offense or insult". And whereas during all those years I did this in California, I'd seldom if ever have a motorist give me this impression. In fact, in most cases when I was doing this while riding in slow moving traffic, motorists would move over in their lane in order to help give me more room in order to get past them.

(...and with this sort of thing being what I'd always call "That last vestige of the California laid-back vibe", as California and Californians generally speaking haven't been "laid-back" for decades now, and even though that old image of 'em seems to linger on somehow)
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Although, and while I know the following will seem counterintutive to you here Tiki, there actually is a manner in which "Lane-Splitting" or "Filtering" is or can actually be a safer riding manuver
Haha that saying applies to horse riders too!
Every "new" rider thinks falling off a horse is a big deal, whereas every seasoned rider (like myself) realizes falling is part of riding. Horses can trip, you fly.
My last car had a bumper sticker "I do my own stunt work" graphic of a person flying off a bucking horse.

I do not know what "lane splitting" is, but if it's where 2 motorcycles share a lane, I actually like seeing that-fills the lane better so I can keep my eye on them. I am very respectful of motorcycles, I know hitting a divot or rock a certain way can throw off balance - like a horse stumbling- no defect of your judgement/riding ability.

I've noticed the old rule of "keeping 3 car lengths away from the car ahead of you" is no longer observed. Even at 75 mph on a highway, cars follow scarily close these days. I putt along at the speed limit and hesitate before proceeding at every intersection and have succeeded avoiding many collisions.

A helmet has saved my life a few times.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

TikiSoo wrote: August 8th, 2023, 7:11 am

Although, and while I know the following will seem counterintutive to you here Tiki, there actually is a manner in which "Lane-Splitting" or "Filtering" is or can actually be a safer riding manuver

I do not know what "lane splitting" is, but if it's where 2 motorcycles share a lane, I actually like seeing that-fills the lane better so I can keep my eye on them. I am very respectful of motorcycles, I know hitting a divot or rock a certain way can throw off balance - like a horse stumbling- no defect of your judgement/riding ability.

I
Lane splitting is riding between two lanes of traffic along the white lines dividing the lane.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Here's a meme showing an example of what I was referring to earlier about how lane-splitting can actually be safer than adhering than adhering to strict lane discipline...

(...I personally know of two fellow riders who had been struck from behind by motorists while stopped behind a line of cars on a L.A. freeway...luckily neither were hurt too badly)
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

txfilmfan wrote: August 8th, 2023, 7:51 am Lane splitting is riding between two lanes of traffic along the white lines dividing the lane.
THANKS! Dargo's photo explained why-I would have never guessed.
But yeah, I keep 1/2 car length in front of me when stopped, seen enough multi rear enders.

In contrast to my meekness, MrTiki is an aggressive driver and his 2 y/o plug-in was just totaled by a red light runner without a license!
Amazingly, a new replacement cost exactly the same as the value of the 2 y/o vehicle.
He's not out any money but I'll betcha he'll be more cautious.
(& has now resolved to install the front/back dash cam I bought him over 5 years ago)
Masha

Post by Masha »

Y'all do not know the anguish you are causing to me!

There is an awesome example of how motorists perceive bicyclists. It is inspired. It is precocious. It is wildly funny. I am very sad to say that it is also a YouTube video and so I can not post it here. :(

Jeremy Clarkson, et al, was challenged to produce safety videos. He created: A bicyclist is attempting to defuse a bomb. There is a red wire and a green wire. He is receiving instructions to cut the green wire. He is instructed to not cut the red wire. He cuts the red wire. The bomb explodes. The voiceover: “Cyclists. Red and green. Learn the bloody difference.”

The bicycle safety board which reviewed the video was not amused.
Masha

Post by Masha »

Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Masha wrote: August 8th, 2023, 11:37 am Y'all do not know the anguish you are causing to me!

There is an awesome example of how motorists perceive bicyclists. It is inspired. It is precocious. It is wildly funny. I am very sad to say that it is also a YouTube video and so I can not post it here. :(

Jeremy Clarkson, et al, was challenged to produce safety videos. He created: A bicyclist is attempting to defuse a bomb. There is a red wire and a green wire. He is receiving instructions to cut the green wire. He is instructed to not cut the red wire. He cuts the red wire. The bomb explodes. The voiceover: “Cyclists. Red and green. Learn the bloody difference.”

The bicycle safety board which reviewed the video was not amused.
That's okay, Masha. Perhaps the following meme will express this point as well as any YouTube video could...

jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

So Dargo ... Correct me if I'm wrong here.
Wasn't lane splitting created because many motorcycles have an air cooled engine?
My brother hasn't ridden his Hog for years and contemplates finding it a new home.
Family members just might be pleased.
Riding a motorcycle automatically comes with increased risk.
On the other hand, someone here recently crashed a Tesla but no one was seriously hurt.
A stupid 13 year old stole her parent's Tesla and crashed it into a utility pole.
My favorite car of all-time is Herbie The Love Bug.
He is air cooled. Would it be okay to split lanes? <giggles>
On a good day, I live an hour north of San Francisco.
Years ago, public transit was my primary way of getting around.
In these parts, crossing the street is no safer than anything else.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

jimimac71 wrote: August 8th, 2023, 4:15 pm So Dargo ... Correct me if I'm wrong here.
Wasn't lane splitting created because many motorcycles have an air cooled engine?
My brother hasn't ridden his Hog for years and contemplates finding it a new home.
Family members just might be pleased.
Riding a motorcycle automatically comes with increased risk.
On the other hand, someone here recently crashed a Tesla but no one was seriously hurt.
A stupid 13 year old stole her parent's Tesla and crashed it into a utility pole.
My favorite car of all-time is Herbie The Love Bug.
He is air cooled. Would it be okay to split lanes? <giggles>
On a good day, I live an hour north of San Francisco.
Years ago, public transit was my primary way of getting around.
In these parts, crossing the street is no safer than anything else.
Hi jimimac. Yes, the air-cooled engine thing was/is always one of the points made by advocates such as the American Motorcycle Association whenever they lobby state legislators to pass lane-splitting/filtering laws.

And now here's a meme you may like, and considering you just brought up the little guy's name here ;) ...

jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

I use to live sort of close to Chinese Camp, where this pic comes from:
I have a few Love Bug DVDs, but not the original.
For all you DVD lovers:
https://disneymovieclub.go.com/
Masha

Post by Masha »