*CANDIDS*

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
mongoII

Re: *CANDIDS*

Post by mongoII »

Kudos to Miss Bacall for growing old gracefully (although she should trim her eyebrows).
At age 87 she is still striking.
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY
JEAN PAUL BELMONDO is 79 today

VIRGINIA GIBSON is 84 today

BRANDON De Wilde (1942 - 1872)

FRANKIE THOMAS (1921 - 2006)

BRAD DEXTER (1917 - 2002)

WARD BOND (1903 - 1960)

ALLEN JENKINS (1900 - 1974)

PAUL ROBESON (1898 - 1976)
Joseph Goodheart
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u][color=#FF0000]MONGO[/color][/u] wrote:Image
[u][color=#FF0000][b]FEAITO[/b][/color][/u] wrote:Ginger looks so happy here...it makes me wonder...Mother Lela testified years later at the HUAC hearings that her daughter was forced by the studio to appear in this "Commie" picture (by a "Commie" screenwriter)....I will watch it soon.
I haven't seen this movie in years. But I still remember how tender Ginger and Robbie's scenes were together. << (( sigh! )) >> Look how he towers over everyone. And then there was this great face-off between Ginger and Ruth Hussey that I loved. Commie...yeah. Everyone pooling their resources together for the good of the group. Who would dare think that might work. :?
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Claudette Colbert lights up Henry Wilcoxon on the set of "Cleopatra"
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Director Howard Hawks discusses scenes with Angie Dickinson for "Rio Bravo"
Joseph Goodheart
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

That picture of a young Angie Dickinson with Howard Hawks on the set of Rio Bravo is stunning!
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Cinemaven:

Once you see Tender Comrade you aren't likely to forget it. It's one of my favorite Ginger movies. If someone called it a 'commie' movie, I would like to know why they did so. I don't believe people helping people is a standard of communism and that is what this is about. If it doesn't at the very least bring tears to your eyes once or twice, you missed something. It's a lovely movie, full of love and hope.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY
OMAR SHARIF is 80 today

MAX von SYDOW is 83 today

CHUCK CONNORS (1921 - 1992)

HARRY MORGAN (1915 - 2011)

TIM McCOY (1891 - 1978)

GEORGE ARLISS (1868 - 1946)
Joseph Goodheart
feaito

Post by feaito »

mrsl wrote:.
Cinemaven:

Once you see Tender Comrade you aren't likely to forget it. It's one of my favorite Ginger movies. If someone called it a 'commie' movie, I would like to know why they did so. I don't believe people helping people is a standard of communism and that is what this is about. If it doesn't at the very least bring tears to your eyes once or twice, you missed something. It's a lovely movie, full of love and hope.

Anne, Its screenwriter, Dalton Trumbo, and its director Edward Dmytryk, were two of the Hollywood Ten during the Communist Witchhunt and this particular movie was labeled as such during that period by many people, including Ginger's mother Mrs. Lela Rogers.

Read this:
The "collectivism" implicit in Tender Comrade (not to mention its politically chancy title!) would later cause a lot of trouble for screenwriter Dalton Trumbo and director Edward Dmytrk during the HUAC "Communist witchhunt" era. In 1943, however, audiences didn't worry about such things, and the film posted a huge profit for RKO Radio

and this:
Tender Comrade, a 1943 film starring Ginger Rogers, is notable less for its cinematic merits than for the political controversy it provoked years later. The film’s director, Edward Dmytryk, was blacklisted, and imprisoned for several months during the Second Red Scare of the late 1940s. Senator Joseph McCarthy took advantage of the atmosphere of fear and suspicion by launching his infamous attacks on Communism.

Tender Comrade is one of a number of films which were called in evidence against Dmytryk when he was investigated by the Dmytryk protesting too much.

Behind these rather crudely presented political messages are the stories of the women’s personal lives. The film particularly focuses on the relationship between Jo (Rogers’ character) and her husband Chris, whose picture she keeps on her bedside table. Their story is told through a series of flashbacks signposted by a dreamlike motif where the couple are shown holding hands on a hillside. The technique is old fashioned, but it is rather sweetly done here. The image is always preceded by a line which is relevant to the flashback, which can come across as contrived.

The film portrays the daily lives of these women and the challenges they encounter. This is often rather clumsily done. They hire a housekeeper from Dresden, who decries the way that Germany “murdered” its democracy. She is the one who objects most vocally when the women are given an extra ration of bacon. She condemns such hoarding as unfair on other people, particularly those who were fighting in the war. This incident gives rise to a fairly overwrought Kantian discussion about what would happen if everyone behaved like that.

It is undeniable that large sections of the film’s dialogue do constitute propaganda, but the explicit message is overwhelmingly pro-American. In the closing scenes, Jo gives her baby son a speech about how his father had died fighting for a good and noble cause, and cautions that he should never forget that or be led to believe otherwise. She claims that the legacy his father left him was a better world to live in, and that the price he paid was his life. Yes, it is extremely clichéd, and this monologue did make for slightly painful viewing, but we must remember it was 1943. It was made as entertainment for an audience living through the very war it depicted. As a film it certainly has its faults, but it offers an intriguing depiction of the clash of ideologies which defined that era.
Sorry to disrupt your thread, Joe.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Grease monkey Steve McQueen
Last edited by mongoII on April 10th, 2012, 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joseph Goodheart
feaito

Post by feaito »

The guy looks a lot like Steve McQueen
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Fernando, I believe I indicated that it was Steve McQueen.
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Actor George Montgomery and his wife songbird Dinah Shore
Joseph Goodheart
feaito

Post by feaito »

mongoII wrote:Fernando, I believe I indicated that it was Steve McQueen.

Sorry Mongo, but when I first saw the picture it had the description of the Montgomery-Shore couple, thus my comment...technology is weird sometimes :wink:
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY
JOEL GREY is 80 today

JOHNNY SHEFFIELD (1931 - 2010)

PAUL DOUGLAS (1907 - 1959)

LEONARD MUDIE (1883 - 1965)
Joseph Goodheart