WHAT MUSICALS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

knitwit45

Re: WHAT MUSICALS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by knitwit45 »

'Nando, a really good movie with Miss Caron is Chocolat with Juliette Binoche and Johnny Depp. L. Caron and John Wood have a lovely "small" romance that is one of the best parts of the movie.
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Fernando - I love Louis Jourdan in Can Can as well. Have you seen that one? A fun and romantic musical with Shirley Maclaine more beautiful, Frank Sinatra more smooth, and Maurice Chevalier more charming than ever. (I've been looking for my copy around the house for a bit - it may be mixed in with the kids movies?!) B
Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

Speaking of Maurice Chevalier, I think he is at his best in those 30's movies with Jeanette MacDonld. He was like a love God to a love Goddess. Most of the old actors and actresses were heavenly in their 20's. What beauty, charm, and innocent grace. Later on they were mostly over-directed. Fred Astaire was not about himself but all about his numerous partners who dominated the screen.

My collection includes most of Jeanette MacDonald, Grace Moore, Evelyn Laye, Lily Pons, Deanna Durbin from their 30's - 40's movies. I adore them. Although I must say that Jeanette MacDonald was enchanting as an aging Mother in "Three Daring Daughters" with Jane Powel as a mid teenager.
Uncle Stevie

"Great Marriages Are Made In Heaven,
So Is Thunder and Lightning"
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks for your recommendations Nancy and Birdy. I've seen both films (Chocolat & Can Can) and I enjoyed them very much, although I don't have them on DVD.

Uncle Stevie, I agree in that MacDonald's and Chevalier's films of the late '20s and early 30s are among the best ever, especially Mamoulian's "Love Me Tonight" (1932) -and Chevalier was 44 by then and looked great in it!

Re. "Meet me in Las Vegas" (1956), I watched it many years ago and I enjoyed it and remember fondly Lena Horne's guest spot in it :)
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I'd never have guessed Chevalier was 44 by the time of Love Me Tonight, he looked great.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

I love Chevalier's early movies (30s nut that I am), but love him even more in the color musicals. He seems like a different person to me. Probably because he reminds me of my dear, departed Grandad, who had that same twinkle in his eye in his senior years. (It's a different twinkle than that of a younger man!) B
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

I am planning to watch Chitty, Chitty, Bang, Bang this weekend. Our cable channel showed Thursday's Child, the first movie of the lovely Sally Ann Howes. I admit I had to do a little searching to realize she was Truly Scrumptious! She was a lovely child and turned into such a pretty lady. The speaking voice sounded just the same. She spent most of her career on the stage. She took over the role of Eliza Dolittle in My Fair Lady following Julie Andrews. I read her bio, apparently she is still with us and appeared as recently as 3 years ago as Mrs. Higgins.

Can anyone post a picture of her? Thanks, B
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Here you go, Birdy! I can't wait for Chitty Chitty Bang Bang to come out on blu-ray.

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oops! I must have cross posted with you, P!
charliechaplinfan

We had the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang at our school fair. The kids loved it. I'll have to try and find the picture and post it.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Thanks, friends. Those were lovely and I especially got a kick out of the reunion photo.
B
Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

I watched "The Tender Trap" last night, if you can call that a Musical. Frank Sinatra and Debbie Reynolds with an all star supporting cast made it a very enjoyable evening.
Uncle Stevie

"Great Marriages Are Made In Heaven,
So Is Thunder and Lightning"
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Uncle Stevie:

The Tender Trap is the movie that turned me on to Celeste Holmes. I had seen her before, but never really noticed her, if you know what I mean. In this movie however, she was so loose and cute, not to mention, understanding about Frank and his foibles. Then Frank himself, was another surprise. He was supposed to play the same old, smart mouth, lady killer that he usually played, but for some reason, in this one, he just came off as a guy who hasn't yet found that certain girl. And from all those girls parading through his apartment for one reason or another, who could guess that Carolyn Jones would be the one to become a star? She isn't nearly as lovely as the others, but she has that unknown quality, I guess. Anyway, naturally, I agree it offers a couple of hours of really fine entertainment.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
charliechaplinfan

I've spent a lovely couple of afternoons with the ironing and two of Fred Astaire's later films. Funny Face and Silk Stockings, Audrey and Cyd, George Gerswhin and Cole Porter what a way to spend an afternoon. Even though these are Fred's later films the dance numbers still hold their magic, I love watching Cyd Charisse dance and find Audrey always delightful.