POLL: Do you want a Like button? Poll has ended!

Do you want a Like button?

Poll ended at December 22nd, 2022, 2:45 pm

YES, I want a Like button.
60%
NO, I do not want a Like button.
40%

Total votes: 25

Hibi

Re: POLL: Do you want a Like button?

Post by Hibi »

Dargo wrote: December 14th, 2022, 10:07 pm
EP Millstone wrote: December 14th, 2022, 9:45 pm After briefly searching the Web for Pro and Con arguments regarding the Like button, I discovered that . . .

There ain't many likes for Likes.

Lotta angst about the deterioration of society. Lotta pearl-clutching and Sturm und Drang from psychologists, sociologists, social scientists, and folks who have waaaaay too much free time on their hands IMO about the pernicious and corrupting effects of the upright thumb and beating heart. Oh, Lawdy! This is the way the world ends. Not with a bang but a . . .
Sorry, but I just don't understand the reasoning in this. With all the negativity in the world today and especially so expressed via the internet, how and in what possible way could a simple expression of a POSITIVE response to something one has said or shown on the net become viewed as somehow being a "negative", and as long as what was said or shown does NOT press some sort of negative or intolerant thoughts or ideas???

(...nope, just don't get it here...sorry)

LIKE!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Cuthbert wrote: December 14th, 2022, 10:53 pm
Hibi wrote: December 14th, 2022, 6:08 pm Isn't that the dark ages? I get my dates mixed up. Or was that before the dark ages?
I think the dates I gave are considered the Dark Ages, also sometimes referred to as the Early Middle Ages. Though I think there is some confusion, and sometimes the dates very. There may be some scholarly debate about it.
Thought so. I thought the Dark Ages started after the fall of the Roman Empire (West). Not sure if there was an "Official" ending or it just morphed into Medieval......
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Cuthbert wrote: December 15th, 2022, 8:31 am
Thompson wrote: December 15th, 2022, 12:26 am But, is there a possibility that a poster who originally voted for the like button can change his/her mind and vote against the like button? Maybe we should look into that. You know how these movements go. With ya one day against ya the next. Hop on the band wagon if you want to at least try to maybe get to second base. No that’s the hayride not the band wagon. Man, when you start to slide it’s a matter of gravity. Gravity is a force, you don’t want to fool around with gravity.
The opposite is likely true: a rational poster who originally voted against having a like button might now see, due to the cogency of the better arguments of those in favour of a Iike button, that having a like button wouldn't hurt anyone and would be useful for some.
LOL. LIKE! :D
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

LostHorizons wrote: December 15th, 2022, 10:17 am
Thompson wrote: December 15th, 2022, 12:26 am But, is there a possibility that a poster who originally voted for the like button can change his/her mind and vote against the like button? Maybe we should look into that. You know how these movements go. With ya one day against ya the next. Hop on the band wagon if you want to at least try to maybe get to second base. No that’s the hayride not the band wagon. Man, when you start to slide it’s a matter of gravity. Gravity is a force, you don’t want to fool around with gravity.
The opposite is likely true: a rational poster who originally voted against having a like button might now see, due to the cogency of the better arguments of those in favour of a Iike button, that having a like button wouldn't hurt anyone and would be useful for some.
I feel like it is just simply far too much pressure to like everything or else you appear rude. That’s a bit different when you have a lot of posts/ reviews to read through and then manually click “Like” when you are done. The alternative is it looks like you are rude or do not care.
I don't think so at all. What pressure?
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Cuthbert wrote: December 15th, 2022, 10:21 am
LostHorizons wrote: December 15th, 2022, 10:17 am

I feel like it is just simply far too much pressure to like everything or else you appear rude. That’s a bit different when you have a lot of posts/ reviews to read through and then manually click “Like” when you are done. The alternative is it looks like you are rude or do not care.
I don't think anyone (that I know of) feels obliged to "like" everything, for fear of being rude. Most people are judicious and know how to use the "like" feature. I'm on Facebook. I do have a couple of friends who "like" everything. I call them Facebook sluts. They are also both people who talk too much!
LMREO!!!!!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

:D
Dargo wrote: December 15th, 2022, 11:14 am
LostHorizons wrote: December 15th, 2022, 10:19 am ...I always hated the “pressure” or using reactions because if you don’t then it appears ungrateful on your part.
Funny, but all the years I used the "like" or "LOL" button over at TCM.com, not ONCE did I ever feel like either one of these two guys here before doing so ;) ...

It took me a few seconds to get this. :D
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Thompson wrote: December 15th, 2022, 12:26 am But, is there a possibility that a poster who originally voted for the like button can change his/her mind and vote against the like button? Maybe we should look into that.
Thompson,

When I created the Do you want a Like button? poll, I clicked the setting Allow re-voting, which enables voters to change their vote. However, the instruction for the setting states "If enabled users are able to change their vote."

So, I guess that SSO system administrators have not enabled that option.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

EP Millstone wrote: December 15th, 2022, 12:13 pm
Thompson wrote: December 15th, 2022, 12:26 am But, is there a possibility that a poster who originally voted for the like button can change his/her mind and vote against the like button? Maybe we should look into that.
Thompson,

When I created the Do you want a Like button? poll, I clicked the setting Allow re-voting, which enables voters to change their vote. However, the instruction for the setting states "If enabled users are able to change their vote."

So, I guess that SSO system administrators have not enabled that option.
You can change your vote. It doesn't add to the total - just toggles your vote the other way. I just tried it and it worked.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

txfilmfan wrote: December 15th, 2022, 12:21 pm You can change your vote. It doesn't add to the total - just toggles your vote the other way. I just tried it and it worked.
Thanks for the confirmation, txfilmfan!
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

LostHorizons wrote: December 15th, 2022, 10:19 am Towards the end of the old board since it was on the way out anyways I read every review but also stopped using reactions because it was too much effort for an ultimately fruitless endeavor since the board was being deleted anyways. I always hated the “pressure” or using reactions because if you don’t then it appears ungrateful on your part.
I feel like this is specifically about the Foreign Language Films thread over there, and if it is, I apologize if I contributed to you feeling "pressure" to like my or others' posts. I can't speak for others, but that was never my intention.
Watching until the end.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Cuthbert wrote: December 14th, 2022, 10:22 pm
EP Millstone wrote: December 14th, 2022, 9:45 pm After briefly searching the Web for Pro and Con arguments regarding the Like button, I discovered that . . .

Lotta angst about the deterioration of society. Lotta pearl-clutching and Sturm und Drang from psychologists, sociologists, social scientists, and folks who have waaaaay too much free time on their hands IMO about the pernicious and corrupting effects of the upright thumb and beating heart. Oh, Lawdy! This is the way the world ends. Not with a bang but a . . .
Sorry, but I just don't understand the reasoning in this. With all the negativity in the world today and especially so expressed via the internet, how and in what possible way could a simple expression of a POSITIVE response to something one has said or shown on the net become viewed as somehow being a "negative", and as long as what was said or shown does NOT press some sort of negative or intolerant thoughts or ideas???

:smiley_clap:
Dargo, you usual thing is your easy going and informal sort of cutting up, that we all love here. But that paragraph you wrote up there is thrilling. Direct to the point and wonderfully expressed (you can do this already of course but we see only the informal part of you). I have noticed this about you some time back. I wish you would write like that more often. Please do that. Give us a movie review some day or a character analysis and write like that like that. Please.

Swithin, that LIKE was a perfect choice for a LIKE. :smiley_clap: Perfection!
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Dargo, the reasoning is that for a lot of people, when they post a comment and they get very few or no likes, that person posting the comment feels bad, even possibly seriously depressed. This is a phenomenon that has been documented in studies of people's behaviors with social media sites.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Thompson wrote: December 15th, 2022, 3:04 pm Down by five. Well, we can still come back. Remember the blogs of old? There were no bells and whistles, no likes or quotes. If you wanted to say something you posted it. If nobody read it or commented then that’s the way it goes. But being an old fogie, the less I have to deal with the better. On the old board the phone remembered my user name and password. Now it takes longer to log in because my typing skills are deteriorating and I can’t remember how some words are spelled anymore .
LOL. What's to deal with? No one's forcing you to use it!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

HoldenIsHere wrote: December 15th, 2022, 2:58 pm

Dargo, the reasoning is that for a lot of people, when they post a comment and they get very few or no likes, that person posting the comment feels bad, even possibly seriously depressed. This is a phenomenon that has been documented in studies of people's behaviors with social media sites.
Are you serious???? WIMP CITY!!!!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Thompson wrote: December 15th, 2022, 2:49 pm Oh yeah? What’s the count? Let me see.
:D