*CANDIDS*

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
charliechaplinfan

Re: *CANDIDS*

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I'm glad about your pal Stone. A welterweight, is that a boxer just below heavy weight? Something you share in common with George Raft :wink: (although I have no idea of weights in boxing as this post has probably made patently clear :roll: )
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Well Joe, maybe ol' Jack did use the expression. But I'd bet dimes to doughnuts it originated with Cap't Queeg - at least the Bogart version. Never saw Lloy's portrayal.

Welterweight is a few degrees below heavyweight, Alison. At the time I boxed I believe I weighed in at about 147 lbs. Actually, among other reasons, I did take up the sport of boxing because of George. Up until a few years ago I instructed boxing to innercity kids. Here comes the old name-dropping again, but George Foreman is a friend of mine.
charliechaplinfan

147lbs would be quite a few below heavyweight. What weight did George box at or have boxing rules and weights changed since his day? Boxing is such a good sport for kids to take up. George Foreman, didn't he name all of his children George? He's now famous for the chicken grill. He fought Ali in the Rumble in the Jungle? Well before my time but there are another two chat show guests who never dissappointed.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Yeah, George is quite a guy. He did name all of his children George - or variations of such. But he's one of the nicest, sweetest guys you could imagine. A true huggy bear. Remember to this day watching the close-circuit Rumble in the Jungle. Bet on George and lost a bundle thanks to Ali and his "rope-a-dope".

As for Raft's boxing; he probably would have fought as a lightweight.
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

I have one of George's countertop grills. ;) Makes tasty burgers. ;)
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Yeah, darn good, ain't they? I can't eat a burger any other way since I got my grill.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Gosh, does boxing have any stars any more? to me, growing up, there was no one like Ali, he was in a class by himself, but the other fighters of the 1970's were so interesting it made watching almost mandatory. I mean, I was a little kid, a girl, and I watched Ali and the others interviewed by Cosell on Saturday or Sunday afternoons. Now I couldn't name a boxer.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Hey Jack Favell, as I'm becoming better acquainted with the people on this terrific site, would you mind sharing with me your real name -- as I am Stone.

Man, I could not agree with you more. I'm a boxing addict from time gone by and rarely missed a closed-circuit bout broadcast here in Winnipeg. But since Ali I've found that my interest has severely waned. I enjoyed Tyson for a while but after the gimmickry and downright stupidity ran its course, the sport, as a whole (damn it), has lost its allure. Same as wrestling. No longer a sport (if it really ever was), now a sideshow attraction.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Stone, my father helped to train fighters years ago. He had a champ in lightweight Paddy DeMarco.
My dad brougt me to the Trinity Club in downtown Brooklyn to watch him train. It was fun.
Joseph Goodheart
charliechaplinfan

I used to love boxing, it was something I could watch with my Dad, did boxing take a tumble when wrestling became the big thing? We have a chat show host here called Michael Parkinson and his interviews with Ali were priceless, Ali has such humour and from later interviews, no self pity. I didn't see George Foreman interviewed as often but again he was a character. One side note about Ali, we have a yearly programme, Sports Personality of the Year at the millenium they ran Sports Personality of the Century, Ali won hands down and came over to receive his award, such a humble man these days but with a mischievous spirit.

Stone for the novice how heavy is a lightweight, is that lighter than welterweight? The Rumble in the Jungle, was the result contested? I've never seen it but my distant memory is telling me Ali won but it was controversial.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

A chubby Dean Stockwell with his pet doggie
Joseph Goodheart
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Yes, Detective Stone, I am Christy. Feel free to call me Christy! But I know nothing about what happened to Thursby...nor do I know the location of the statue. :lol:
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Hey "Applegate" I always thought you were in cahoots with the little gunsel.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

I am just always "in cahoots"... :lol:
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Alison, a lightweight, if I remember correctly, is the weight class between 130 to 135 lbs.

Christy, no problem as long as you always remember . . . "it's the, uh, stuff dreams are made of."

Now I'm in the mood to throw on my DVD of "The Maltese Falcon". Another of those fine flicks I never tire of. A lot of Bogies in that list.

That's cool, Joe, that your dad trained fighters. We were only a semi-pro team but I, too, remember watching some of the more experienced boxers train at the YMCA, and definitely it was always something to behold.