Best / Favorite Bob Hope Comedy

Isn't Romantic Comedy redundant?
ken123

Best / Favorite Bob Hope Comedy

Post by ken123 »

The Ghost Breakers and My Favorite Brunette top my list. That Paulette Goddard and Dorothy Lamour are his co - stars are an added pleasure. :lol:
Last edited by ken123 on April 17th, 2007, 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
bobhopefan1940

Re: Best / Favorite Bob Hope Comedy

Post by bobhopefan1940 »

ken123 wrote:The Ghost Breakers and My Favorite Brunette top my list. That Paulette Goddard and Dorothy Lamour are added pleasures. :lol:
The Ghostbreakers (1940 - hints the screen name) is my absolute favorite. My favorite scene is where he is in her suite, and she kisses him. He is so adorable, how could you not fall in love with him? He was brave in that one, too. Not too brave, he still had the turkey image... But probably my favorite of all of the characters he embodied.
"How strange when an illusion dies. It's as though you've lost a child." --Judy Garland
"To help a friend in need is easy, but to give him your time is not always opportune." --Charlie Chaplin
"Dumb show is best for screen people, if they must appear in public." --Buster Keaton
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I love The Ghostbreakers, too, but I also think The Lemon Drop Kid is just hilarious. I wish it would get shown, because it's one of his best (and features him introducing the holiday standard "Silver Bells"). Rounding out the top three, is The Pale Face.
JulieMarch4th

Post by JulieMarch4th »

Lemon Drop Kid is one movie made from a Damon Runyan story that I've never been lucky enough to catch. Since it's a Paramount release, there may actually be a chance for it to be on TCM in the future.

Bob Hope is one of the stars that I feel like I've had with me my whole life.

I admit to having a weakness for Critic's Choice.

Julie
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Hi Julie,

I've never seen Critic's Choice---in fact, there are several BH movies I want to see, including They Got Me Covered, Caught in the Draft and The Cat and the Canary.

I also want to rent some of his TV specials because I was too young to remember the last few that aired. I vaguely recall Brooke Shields being on them...

I can't believe I left out The Princess and the Pirate, considering I had such a ball watching it this weekend. Walter Brennan was too funny as Feathers. "Lay that egg!"
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

My favorite would be The Cat and the Canary, worth checking out if you can find it online. But I'm a sucker for almost any "old dark house" movie. That's one type of film that just isn't made (well) anymore today.

Some others that I like include The Ghost Breakers, Nothing but the Truth, and The Princess and the Pirate.

-Stephen
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I think I generally prefer Hope's movies to his TV appearances. I've been thinking lately that my favorite of his movies is from the 60s -- The Facts of Life with Lucille Ball. It's one of his better pieces of acting, in a very sweet and amusing movie. Lucy looks pretty too.