Shhhhh! It's Time to Pick Your Bestavorite Silents!

Chit-chat, current events
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Thank you for your kind words, folks. I appreciate them.

What I find most interesting so far is that of the top 20 seeded films only #7 The Godfather didn't survive the first round. I will expect some of the top-seeded teams to take a fall in the second round as there are some extremely difficult choices for you to make. I hope everyone continues to participate even when your personal favorites may get voted out.
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
CoffeeDan

Post by CoffeeDan »

Boy, there's some good match-ups this time around! However, I think the choices are going to get harder and harder with each round, but that's not going to diminish the fun factor for me.

I missed a few votes the last time around because I was preparing for a vacation trip on Friday. I am now posting from Stafford, TX in anticipation of a little family celebration of my 50th birthday on Tuesday. I'll be back in Cincinnati on Thursday, but I don't think these machinations are going to have much effect on my voting, since I don't have to vote on as many races this time around. I did most of my Round One voting in one night.

Overall, I wish we'd have fewer abstentions in future rounds. Each individual vote is going to count for more in subsequent rounds, so it's important that everybody come down on one side of the fence or the other. We had several close races in the last round which could have gone a different way had more people declared themselves. Yes, I know it wasn't easy pickings in some match-ups; I had to do some agonizing reappraisals myself. But I did it (for the most part, anyway).

I would also encourage everybody to "go with your heart" and vote your personal likes, rather than what you or the critics perceive as "cinematically correct." There are enough good films to vote on here that nobody needs to be embarassed by their choices. I see some harder choices this time around, but also some easier ones, and like Judith, I'm probably going to vote for some films I didn't vote for in the last round. I find it consoling that I don't have to give up on all of my favorites.

The important thing is to loosen up and have fun voting! Chris, you've done a great job in conceiving and monitoring this cinematic smackdown, and I hope we all continue to have fun voting and discussing our choices.
melwalton

best movie

Post by melwalton »

Chris.
How do we vote in round 2? I followed directions but my post didn't show .... mel
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Happy Sunday to ya' Mel.
I'm glad you're ready to get started but you'll have to wait until tomorrow. On Monday I'll be posting the 16 new match-ups under the round 2 heading and then you can cast your votes. See ya' tomorrow!
Chris

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Dan:

Happy Birthday. I stumbled across 50 about two months ago. It's not so bad if you don't think about it. No, it's all the same. I hope you have a great day.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Hi Dan,

Happy (belated) birthday to you. I hit the big 5-0 five years ago and it's all a state of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter! I hope you enjoyed the day to the fullest and enjoyed the company of friends and family. Remember, you're not over the hill, just better able to see the other side! And have a great Christmas and a happy New Year!

As always,

Hollis
feaito

Post by feaito »

Happy belated birthday Dan! I wish you many, many more.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I didn't see GWTW on the round two list...did I overlook it or does that doesn't mean it was eliminated? Because if it's, I'm out. :o
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

You may take comfort in that GWTW won its pairing. Round 2 is not quite set up yet.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

movieman1957 wrote:You may take comfort in that GWTW won its pairing. Round 2 is not quite set up yet.
LOUD, AUDIBLE SIGH OF RELIEF!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for the good tidings, Chris. 8)
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Miss G, it looks like GWTW is up against She Wore a Yellow Ribbon

GASP!!!!
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

knitwit45 wrote:Miss G, it looks like GWTW is up against She Wore a Yellow Ribbon

GASP!!!!

:P

I know. It's pains me to do it but GWTW will always, always win out over movies I even consider better...which is the case with most of Ford's. GWTW is the summation of everything I love about movies and the genesis of my adoration for the classic era, hence my unbreakable loyalty.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Loyalty...not a word heard or used much anymore. I salute you!
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

The 16 match-ups for Round Two are now up and the polls are open! We will be using the poll feature in this round (and from now on), so once you cast your vote it can't be retracted. Feel free to fill the threads with arguments and pictures trying to persuade others to your side of the fence. I hope that everyone will at least post some thoughts on why they chose one film over the other since that is the best part of this project. The voting for Round Two ends at 11:59pm, Thursday, December 13th. This round will leave eight films standing to go on to the Third Round.

Happy voting!
Chris